• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Galifrey

[engine_work] Sleeper 1.6 Project

jackherer

Miles, did you modify the Xsara lower column?

Miles

And here it is now

The Steering UJ is very very tight, I;ve had to adjust the coloum slightly and the U/J seal is tight to say the least on the bulkhead, If time allowed I would have tried a 306 one to see if it fitted but finding them isn;t that easy.

The rack itself thou is quick alright, First turn I made I had to unwind some lock :)

Those tyres thou, Christ even in the dry ..... ...... ......

You want some good suspension next as the nose is slightly down now

post-43-1258752028_thumb.jpg

Galifrey
And here it is now

The Steering UJ is very very tight, I;ve had to adjust the coloum slightly and the U/J seal is tight to say the least on the bulkhead, If time allowed I would have tried a 306 one to see if it fitted but finding them isn;t that easy.

The rack itself thou is quick alright, First turn I made I had to unwind some lock :)

Those tyres thou, Christ even in the dry ..... ...... ......

You want some good suspension next as the nose is slightly down now

Words fail me, looks amazing! Take it the tyres are as bad as I suspected!

Got some Xsara VTS front struts/springs arriving tomorrow, some winter work for me :D Too nose down will make it kick its ass out even more :)

Roll on Sunday!

jackherer

When you say 'adjust' did you shorten the lower column?

I've only fitted one to a stripped out track car and I made up brackets to relocate the upper steering column to compensate for the extra length but I want to fit some to 205s with dashboards soon so I will need to do those another way.

Don't get used to it, once you do a normal 205 feels like a tractor :D

Galifrey, that is going to be great fun :)

Galifrey
Galifrey, that is going to be great fun :lol:

It needs to be for what it has cost me overall! But Miles has been fantastic, and a lot of the cost has been parts inc a recon box and new Tranx Diff, add to that a full GTI-6 hose kit, and it mounts up fast!

Won't be selling for some years :(

Need to start saving for cams and ITB's now.

Edited by Galifrey

jackherer

I was wondering if you had a diff or not. Thats an impressive number of upgrades to do in one go, GTI6, diff, VTS rack, you wont recognise it at all when you drive it :lol:

Galifrey
I was wondering if you had a diff or not. Thats an impressive number of upgrades to do in one go, GTI6, diff, VTS rack, you wont recognise it at all when you drive it :lol:

If I had just put a decent 1.6 in it I probably wouldn't have recognised it :(

It just seem to make sense, the expert has it, he has the engine out, what can we replace at the same time that will reduce overall cost in the long run.

I can't stop looking at the last pic Miles posted, the quality of his work and the pride he takes in it is simply first class. So much of it looks OEM which is the look I was going for.

I am a bit anal when it comes to underbonnet, when people ask to take a look, last thing they want to see is corrosion city and a world of filth, so keeping it clean will be a prio.

I have to take it on a 300 mile round trip in december, lots of A-roads so should be a lot of fun although presumeably I will be running it in, which is a good thing, as I can learn the car easier when driving it like a grandad rather than a burberry boi!

Probably will outperform the old engine at 3k rpm :(

Galifrey
I'd suggest

306 GTi-6/Xsara dampers grp N top mounts and std springs

:)

James do you mean standard 205 springs or standard Xsara VTS springs? (I have both)

Miles indcates the front has dropped in height so will I need more preload?

Galifrey
It's even Water tight now :ph34r:

In and out hopefully :D

Galifrey

Well that was fun :lol:

Drives like an asthmatic 1.9 at low revs, but with a bit more torque.

Got it on the cam once pulling out of a junction quickly, wow! Can't wait to finish running it in....

:lol:

The Xsara rack is fantastic, very precise, Kart like steering and not overly power assisted so retains a good weight.

Edited by Galifrey

Galifrey

Been out for a few more miles today and am enjoying it no end.

Few minor issues have cropped up, aerial and sunroof handle appear to be leaking :P typical, and it is a little fussy on going into first gear, but that may just be me getting used to it.

Vibration levels are quite high, but I expected that with the stiff engine mounts :) it's nothing I can't live with.

Steering is quite heavy at low speed, maybe the PAS isnt working as intended? Are Xsara vts racks meant to be speed sensitive? As I have not driven a Xsara VTS it is difficult to compare.

Soon as the weather brightens up will get out and have a go at the sunroof and aerial leaks :D

Edited by Galifrey

Anthony
Vibration levels are quite high, but I expected that with the stiff engine mounts :P it's nothing I can't live with.

If the mounts are new, then you'll find that it'll settle down significantly over the first few weeks of use

Galifrey
If the mounts are new, then you'll find that it'll settle down significantly over the first few weeks of use

Yes this is what I am expecting, it's not unbearable, so won't be an issue.

Makes me chuckle when I start it, it sounds & feels exactly like an old stripped out 1300gt I used to run especially with the vibes :P all the old memories came flooding back.

Miles

Good stuff,

The steering is generally heavy 'ish' on them as the ram is the same used on the normal 205 & 306 racks, even the std 205 P/S isn;t really light compared with any modern car

Baz

Very nice Mark, bet you're chuffed, and itching to get it run-in now!! :)

Galifrey
Good stuff,

The steering is generally heavy 'ish' on them as the ram is the same used on the normal 205 & 306 racks, even the std 205 P/S isn;t really light compared with any modern car

Ah that's fine then, its not a worry, it is way lighter than it was before the change, and the speed is just :)

100 miles so far, 400 more to go before proper limit "exploration" but gotta fix the leak with this rain...

kyepan

well done guys... we like sleepers!!!

want one of those racks!

Galifrey
Very nice Mark, bet you're chuffed, and itching to get it run-in now!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Baz, and yes, seriously cannot wait, those engines sound glorious on the cam.

Kyepan, you will not be disappointed!

After seeing DrS's C5 Steelies, I shall be after some of those I think.

:D

Galifrey

Had a Polish guy detail it today, bargain for 35 quid. Well I am not gonna stand in the cold and do it am I? :ph34r:

Think there is a mouse in my gear linkage somewhere keep hearing it complain when I shift gears...

Booked in for thursday to have some new Falken 912's put on, should improve the wet weather grip over the current ditchfinders, and they will be scrubbed by the time it's run in.

Picking up some 309 GTi seats on Thursday as well, add a bit of comfort over the current seats.

Next job is fit the suspension parts, tho I am currently debating the GAZ group buy, then sort out some of the squeaks and rattles from ill fitting trim. should make it easier to hear then engine :rolleyes:

Galifrey
I thought you hated C5 wheels and preferred Superleggeras http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...11443&st=20

I do, but one cannot ignore the weight advantage of these over the stock wheels, and for my sleeper, Ultralegerras are a bit too in your face.

Had superleggeras on my 7 and my Scoobie, they only do ultras now.

Edited by Galifrey

Galifrey

Drama day today...

Went in for new tyres, and asked them to check the rear brakes, inevitable leaky slave cylinders so all new rear brakes (shoes and cylinders).

While up on the ramp, discovered the fuel filler pipe join was leaking (explains the petrol smell and poor MPG).

Finally, spotted that the tyre had been rubbing the plastic panel on left lock, so had pushed the bottom hose link onto the aux belt idler pully, result, no hose clip, and a scored hose!

So some little fixes to sort out tomorrow before I have to drive all the way to Northamptonshire next week.

welshpug

sounds like the steering rack needs to be centred, check that the track rods are the same number of threads :P

Galifrey
sounds like the steering rack needs to be centred, check that the track rods are the same number of threads :P

Its going back to protyre for tracking tomorrow, will get them to centre the rack, no bodging it :P

What size is the bottom hose clip where it joins the link pipe? Need to get one tomorrow before the hose blows off.

IMG00003-20091126-1458.jpg

Edited by Galifrey