• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

Daviewonder

Good to hear. I must admit your garage was worse then mine haha

Mines getting the FMIC when I'm back from my holiday :D

Have you fitted that new pump yet mate? Looking forward to going for a spin in it :)

Update time. All my new bearings have arrived so it was time to make a start on things-

106wheels001.jpg

Had a couple of hours spare last night so I started disconnecting the engine ready to take it out this evening. The brilliant thing about taking apart a car you've only just built is everything comes apart so easiliy and nothing shears off :)

Tonight I lifted the engine out. This sight looks familiar, didn't think I'd be seeing quite so soon after getting it on the road-

110803_182213.jpg

I got cracking with stripping the engine, once again everything went surprisingly smoothly. I decided to take a photo at this point as it's the furthest I've ever stripped an engine and I was feeling a little nervous :lol: -

110803_194315.jpg

Next I removed the oil pump and then undone the con rod nuts. This was the sight I wasn't keen on seeing, a couple of the big ends were shot and had scored up the crank quite badly (excuse crappy phone pics)-

110803_203751.jpg

Not that it makes any difference but the main bearings were all looking healthy.

So here I stand with a knackered crank and no spare funds, the only thing that could save me now is if the 2.0 HDI crank that I have sitting in a block at my parents fits the turbo engine, any ideas?

Anyway it started getting dusk so I decided it was time to call it a night.

Two last things if anyone can help please. The thrust washers I bought came in a set of 4 but while stripping the engine I only found 2, do these engines usually have 4? Also the torque settings I've got list settings for vertical and horizontal main bolts, whats the difference, what ones are what?

Cheers, Dave :)

dave_gti

Excellent work! That’s a lovely looking pug

credowan

Great work mate as usual, you know any where local to get crank check poss reground although gotno idea on price? Then poss swap the shells you've got for ones that would fit at least then no it's all sorted, if you don't go that route might have a 1.9 8v crank or 1.9 mi one if any use Not sure what fits and there condition

Gary

Daviewonder

Cheers :)

I believe the 1.9 cranks are the wrong throw for the 2.0 engines Gary but thanks anyway :)

Bit of an update. I've removed the HDI crank this afternoon and checked it over and all looks fine. I compared it to the RGX crank and all the important dimensions appear the same according to my gauges. As you can see in the photo below the HDI crank has 4 counterweights where as the RGX crank has 8.I don't know if this will make any difference, I'll have to wait and see. I did plan on weighing the pair of them to see if there was any difference but I forgot.

crankwork005.jpg

I've fitted the new Big ends, thrusts and Mains, done everything up finger tight to make sure I wasn't going to run into any unseen issues. Everything seems fine :)

crankwork006.jpg

Daviewonder

Not a very good update :(

I bought some Plastigauge to see if the big end clearances were ok, when I came to torque up the conrod bolts this happened-

broken001.jpg

I believe it was down to using the wrong torque settings.

So now I've had to strip down the rest of the engine to remove the piston so I can get the conrod bolts pressed out and replaced.

This is the sorry state of the engine as we speak-

broken002.jpg

At least I can paint the engine up properly now it's in so many pieces :lol:

Tom Fenton

Why would you want to use a heavy unbalanced lump of a diesel crank is beyond me? Have the right crank for the engine ground to the first undersize and have the machine shop supply you the correct bearings for the crank. Then get everything spotless and bolt it together.

I would also very carefully check that con rod is still round, I would not be suprised if it has pulled oval if you have had the rod bolts tight enough to do that to them.

Daviewonder

It makes perfect sense what you say Tom. I was just trying to keep the cost down by using the HDI crank and not buying a small torque wrench but I think it's time to do things properly.

Things can only get better!

Tom Fenton

Crank grind and bearings should not stand you much more than about £125.

Also make sure you strip and check the oil pump, if it was knocking the chances are the pump is full of bearing debris.

Finally make sure you clean out the oil cooler if you have one very well. Or replace it.

Daviewonder

Cheers for the adviceTom, I'll have a look into it tomorrow, gotta be worth it as I don't fancy going through this again in a hurry.

Anthony

Either that, or worth remembering that 86mm XU10 cranks are ten a penny and cheap/easy to pickup a good replacement.

Personally, I'd rather go down that route than have a reground crank which may or may not have been done properly - depends if you've got a reputable machine shop down your way who is able to regrind a crank properly and accurately.

Somewhere like the GTi-6 forum would be a good bet, as there's bound to be loads of good cranks from engines with a snapped belt on there.

Daviewonder

I really don't know whats best. I have very little spare money each month due to having a mortgage and a baby daughter and only earning minimum wage so really need to keep the cost down. A grind and bearings is good as it's like a fresh start but a second hand crank is a lot cheaper and I already have the new bearings.

I need to sleep on it.

Daviewonder

I've decided to go down the crank regrind route. A place fairly local to me can regrind and polish the big end journals and supply undersized big end bearings for £70 +vat. They can also do the same to the mains if they need doing for an extra £60 +vat. It seems like an ok price, I just need to find someone to drop the crank down there for me as I work 6 days a week.

I've also bought new bolts for the con rods, £64 from Peugeot :o

Edited by Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Well its time for a bit of an update. I had the crank taken to Banda Engineering in Portsmouth and they reground the Big end and Main journals and supplied undersized shells and new thrust washers.

110831_184638.jpg

The crank was returned to me Yesterday so I set to work cleaning out the engine block before I rebuild it. I gave the insides of the block a wash out using a toothbrush and several litres of brake cleaner. I also cleaned out the oil ways using some brake cleaner in a pressurised bottle. While the engine is out and in bits I decided I may as well replace the headgasket as it's not something I'd want to do with the engine in situ. I replaced it with the MLS jobby thats used on the GTI6 engine. I've also bought new genuine crank oil seals and Turbo oil return gasket.

I've also treated the patches of surface rust in the engine bay by rubbing them down and painting the areas with Zinc primer, then a couple of coats of silver then a couple of coats of Lazer green, it's looking loads better B)

Hopefully Saturday if the weather is fine I'll clean out the oil pump and turbo oil feed and finish fitting the crank, I've got my Graphogen at the ready!

If anyone can spot something I've missed can they please let me know :)

Daviewonder

Also make sure you strip and check the oil pump, if it was knocking the chances are the pump is full of bearing debris.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this Tom, I would have probably just rinsed in through with brake cleaner and thought it would have been ok. I have now stripped it down and given it a good clean up, heres what lurked inside-

04-09-2011002.jpg

04-09-2011001.jpg

Anyway the engine is now built up and back in the de-rusted engine bay.

04-09-2011009.jpg

Just need to reconnect the remaining parts now, then it's time to turn the key :o

Pugs in Pieces

im just starting to mock up a turbo engine into my cti, using a 2wd cossie intercooler at the moment, this thread will be getting viewed alot i imagine.

Daviewonder

im just starting to mock up a turbo engine into my cti, using a 2wd cossie intercooler at the moment, this thread will be getting viewed alot i imagine.

Good luck mate looking forward to following your progress thread :)

A bit more progress. I finished reassembling the car today and it's all ready to start up, unfortunately it was dark by this point and I didn't fancy starting the engine for the first time and running it up in the dark without being able to see what was going on clearly.

So looks like tomorrow is the big day, I'm a little nervous to say the least :unsure:

BusEngineer

Fingers crossed for you fella

Daviewonder

It all seems ok :unsure:

It started up on the button with good oil pressure, there's no knocking, no smoking and there's no leaks.

Surely this can't be right, I never have this sort of luck :lol:

I guess the proof will be in the test driving tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for you fella

Edited by Daviewonder

Strictly_Derv

Good luck! I'm in Pagham tonight, could pop over on the way back depending what time your gunna get cracking if you want

Daviewonder

Good luck! I'm in Pagham tonight, could pop over on the way back depending what time your gunna get cracking if you want

Thanks Mate. I got started early, done 85 miles in it today and it's still going strong :)

BusEngineer

Pleased for you fella, now its time to enjoy it :)

Daviewonder

I've finished the 200 miles of precautionary running in that I wanted to do and It's still sounding sweeeeeeet :D

I just need to change the oil now for some better stuff and it will all be done.

Must remember to check the oil more frequently in the future so I don't have to go through this again :blush:

I picked this up today so I imagine it will be taking up a lot of my spare time from now on-

003.jpg

Dave :)

Strictly_Derv

Good to hear, best take me out in it when I collect the crane :)

The clubman looks like it will be fun, I've always wanted a 1275GT, they remind me of mini dodge chargers lol

Daviewonder

Hello :)

It had been a while since I did any 205 related work. Last week at the Brighton 205 meet I realised the car looked quite tatty compared to most of the others that were there so I decided to make a start on the exterior.

080112_205_Meet004.jpg

I bought some new front indicators as one of the lenses had fallen off mine. I have also bought some new Denji front spot lights as mine had fallen apart long ago. I shall be ordering some new headlamps within the next week hopefully too.

spot_lights006.jpg

I have also had a go at painting my front lower valence the same colour as the rest of the car.

Now considering I used rattle cans and this is the first attempt I've had at painting something that isn't a rear beam or an engine bay, it's turned out pretty well. This is it after primer, base coat and lacquer-

SAM_2231.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's not 100% perfect but it will look 100 times better than what it did :)

Hopefully I should get some more done at the weekend.

Strictly_Derv

Looks good. How's the colour match?