• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

Daviewonder

I don't have a great deal of experience with worn beams/shafts. They do look pretty bad in the pics I must admit but I can run the tip of my finger nail across them and not feel a thing. Could it just be polishing from the bearings?

Tom Fenton

It is hard to tell from the pictures, sometimes the surface of the shaft is just polished from the bearings, and with a polish with some emery cloth in the lathe you will find they are only a thou or two down on std, and will give no play when fitted. Other times they can be OK after I have machined back welded up and machined back to size.

Daviewonder

Tom do you think it would be ok if I gave them a rub with some fine wet and dry to remove the polishing marks?

Daviewonder

Bit of an update- I've just bought some Oxalic acid rust treatment to clean up the rear beam. I've not used this before but hopefully it should arrive on Saturday morning and I will post the results shorlty after :angry:

eBay link

Daviewonder

Got loads of progress done this weekend due to the good weather, not a lot to report as nearly all of it was tidying up and finishing off a lot of bits. I recon a couple more weekends work and she should be ready for an MOT :)

I gave the trailing arm shafts a quick rub over with some fine wet 'n' dry and some wd40 to remove the polishing marks, they really are like new but this pic is still pretty poor-

06-03-11002.jpg

My Oxalic acid arrived in the week so I got some bits ready to be treated-

06-03-11004.jpg

06-03-11006.jpg

It's just a case of putting some of the acid crystals in some hot water and soaking the rusty parts in it for 12 - 36 hours. I'm just using some 5 litre bottles with a hole cut in the front that my Dad gave me to soak the bits in. I'll post some 'after' pictures once they're soaked enough.

I also recieved some 15mm hubcentric spacers to bring my wheels out enough to clear the Brembo calipers, they were unused second hand items that were meant for a 206, unfortunately the studs don't quite seem long enough and only stick through the wheel by about 12mm. I have no idea if this is enough?

110305_153247.jpg

I don't have any wheel nuts yet but should be getting some soon, I will probably order some longer studs just for piece of mind too.

For a couple of reasons I have decided not to use my T16 wheels for now and have chosen to use some standard 1.9 wheels, this should help keep things a bit stealthy.

110305_153218.jpg

Lastly I finished fitting my 3 way BBM conversion hose. It seems to touch the turbo where it goes behind it, should this be the case? Has anyone else used one of these?

Dave :)

Daviewonder

I took a few of the bits out of the acid soak today and gave them a rinse off. The results are pretty good considering I didn't do any prep before soaking them.

A quick before and after-

06-03-11004.jpg

10-03-11001.jpg

Just need to paint them up now B)

Edited by Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Another small update. I have finished cleaning up the brackets etc and given them a coat of red oxide primer, followed by a couple of coats of silver.

110318_191621.jpg

I have also soaked the beam in Oxalic acid and rubbed down the chipped paint and given it a coat of red oxide primer. I was going to change the front mount rubbers but they are in really good condition so I decided to keep them, they should be ok as I'm only using GRP N rear mounts.

110318_191511.jpg

Hope to get some more done Tomorrow if the weather is ok :)

Daviewonder

Some more nice weather today allowed me to get some more bits crossed of the list. I started by giving the rear beam a couple of coats of gloss black-

110319_172558.jpg

I also got around to making up some new front to rear brake pipes-

110319_172441.jpg

I noticed there was a bit of play in the right hand rear wheel bearing that is currently fitted to the car. After closer inspection it turned out to be a loose hub nut so I regreased the bearing and tightend the hubnut. It will be ok for when I get it mot'd if I don't finish the new beam build by then.

I managed to fit the brake pipes just as it started to get dark. Would have liked to get a bit more done today but unfortunately I had work this morning.

JRL

Thats a thorough job you have done there dave. I bought some eastwood rust dissolver but didnt work as good as your acid.

Daviewonder

Thats a thorough job you have done there dave. I bought some eastwood rust dissolver but didnt work as good as your acid.

Thanks, the plan is to get it looking good as some of the ones I've seen on here B) I was pretty impressed with the acid, would highly recomend it.

Update time. I've been cracking on with the beam tonight and have stripped the GTI6 trailing arms and I'm taking them to get the shafts pressed out tomorrow. The caliper brackets and back plates are now soaking to remove the rust and the arms will be to as soon as the shafts are removed.

I removed the old bearings from the beam tube and fitted some new'uns along with new seals etc. I removed the old outer bearings by tapping around the outsides with a hammer and screwdriver until they came loose and just knocked the old inner ones through using an old arm shaft (measuring how deep they sat in first for when I fitted the new ones). I tapped the new inner bearings in using a copper mallet and the fat end of an old shaft and tapped the new outer ones in using a copper mallet and an old roller blade wheel ;)

110329_180521.jpg

I have also bought a second hand genuine front bumper as the front bumper that was fitted to the car was some flimsy cheapo rubbish that was twisted and didn't line up properly. The front of the car now looks miles better despite the bumper being faded and the lower valance being Atlantic blue ^_^

More soon.

Daviewonder

Another 8 hours spent doing the 205 today.

I started by removing the trailing arms, rear beam brackets and caliper brackets from the acid dip and giving them a once over with some wire wool and then a dry off. I then gave them a few coats of red oxide primer-

110409_134834.jpg

I gave the beam brackets and caliper bits a few coats of silver-

110409_150932.jpg

Then I gave the trailing arms and caliper brackets a few coats of gloss black but I forgot to get any more pictures.

Meanwhile back on the car, I have now tidied up and covered all of the under bonnet wiring and also connected up the engine management light. Spent quite a long time doing a general tidy up of the engine bay and it's now starting to look semi done. Also fitted a spotless scuttle panel that I got from the scrappy as mine was badly cracked.

Maybe more tomorrow.

jonnyturbo

davie can you have a check any icvs for the xu10 engine you may have for the numbers on them and post them here for me as im looking to buy a new icv but the numbers i have differ slightly on mine,

0 280 140 530

0 280 140 537

thanks

Daviewonder

davie can you have a check any icvs for the xu10 engine you may have for the numbers on them and post them here for me as im looking to buy a new icv but the numbers i have differ slightly on mine,

0 280 140 530

0 280 140 537

thanks

The one on my RGX turbo engine is 0 280 140 530, that's the only one I have mate.

jonnyturbo

ok thanks very much

Daviewonder

Bit of an update (not a lot of pics I'm affraid). I've been spending weekends and an hour or so every night working on this lately and it's starting to come together nicely.

My wheel stud kit and flat faced nuts have both arrived so it was now time to sort out my wheels. I got the tyres removed from the Cyclones and fitted onto some 1.9 speedlines and got new valves and balancing too. Those stick on balancing weights don't half look close to the Brembo calipers :o

I have finally managed to sort out fitting of the evo intercooler but it does mean I'm going to have to slightly relocate the electric power steering pump as it was stopping me lowering the radiator so I could get clearence for the intercooler pipes to pass over the top properly. I also had to modify the slam panel a bit to allow clearence for an intercooler pipe-

Image0117.jpg

I have also bought some Xsara rear calipers off eBay due to a particularly bad day when I managed to sheer 5 bleed nipples rendering all my rear calipers useless!

The rear beam is coming along nicely and I got the shafts pressed back into the arms today. I spend a couple of hours tonight sorting out all the bits and starting to build it all back up-

110420_200052.jpg

110420_195924.jpg

Just need to find a few nuts and brackets that I've mislaid and to fit the hub assembly and new brakes.

Hope to get the remaining work on the car done this weekend and hopefully get it MOT'd at the beginning of May :)

Strictly_Derv

That beam looks mint!

Fancy a swap for my old beam? :D

jonnyturbo

davie when your ignition is on what voltage do you get from the green coolant temp guage? im sure mine read around 5 when i turned my ignition on but slowly went up to around 8 before i stopped looking. im not getting any voltage to the brown sensor evan with engine running but not sure if that could cause my engine to run bad? with all 3 (blue, brown and green) sensors unplugged from the engine it ran alot better :S?

Edited by jonnyturbo

Daviewonder

Is it the green temperature switch you mean? I think the reading would be in ohms not volts? I can't help at the moment I'm affraid but I'll have a look next time I'm working on the 205. Try posting a topic, someone will probably know the readings straight away ;)

Daviewonder

Got a bit more done yesterday and today inbetween decorating the flat and doing tip runs. I started by removing the old beam and the tow bar as I really don't think I'll be towing much with this car ;) I then carried on by dropping the fuel tank down so I could fit the last 2 bits of brake pipes (you know, the buggers that sit above the fuel tank that you try to avoid doing at all cost).

110424_161059.jpg

While I had the tank dropped down I thought it best to treat the bits of surface rust that had previously been out of sight, I gave them a good scrub with a wire brush and then coated the areas in some Fertan rust treatment that I purchased a while back.

Next up came the beam fitting. Took a bit of effort as I started off using 2 trolley jacks but the cheapo Halfords joddie decided to give up half way through, and decided to lower the beam back down without being asked to <_<

In the end I did it like this-

110424_162708.jpg

Got there in the end with a bit of sweating and struggling-

110424_172416.jpg

The car now has a noticeably wider track at the rear due to the 309 beam and 306 trailing arms. A quick before and after (Cars still jacked up at this point) -

110423_193956.jpg

110424_172702.jpg

B)

jonnyturbo

yes i meant the green temp switch, no idea where i got guage from maybe i had it on my mind lol. il haft to ask my brother to check that as when it comes to wiring i have no idea :lol:

allye

Fitting a beam by yourself is an utter arse of a job! In the end I used 2 trolley jacks and a sissor jack! First time I had done it though. Love the laser green!

Stolton

i agree with allye on trying to get a beam in on your own, absolute nightmare lol. good looking project tho fella & loving the colour aswell :) keep up the good work.

Daviewonder

Overdue update time-

I've been spending a few hours here and there on the 205 getting all the loose ends tidied up.

I had an issue where the engine wouldn't rev and would misfire badly, I believe this was down to a damaged crank sensor wire which I've now changed and everything seems dandy. I've also removed the power steering as I was going to have to relocate the battery to the boot so the 106 pump could live on the battery tray. This has been put on the back burner for now.

Not a great deal to tell you about the other bits as it's all been small jobs to get the car ready for it's mot. I've noticed the gear linkages are shot and pop off as soon as you look at them, so I'll be ordering some of them later. Also when I rebuilt the rear beam I set it up to 305mm between bolts. I now realise this is too low for a 309 beam and GTI6 trailing arms as I moved the cars about on the drive earlier and it even rubbed doing this! So if the weathers ok tomorrow I'll be adjusting the ride height again.

Apart from the linkages and ride height it's pretty much ready for an mot, hopefully I should get it done in a week or so. Then It's just a case of painting the front valance, fitting the grille and plasticaring the front bumper.

Anyway heres a few pics of the nearly complete 205 Turbo B)

SAM_1388.jpg

SAM_1385.jpg

SAM_1386.jpg

SAM_1387.jpg

Dave :)

M@tt

nice work dave!!

not long now till a bit of serious baaarp tssssch action :)

• Like 1

Daviewonder

nice work dave!!

not long now till a bit of serious baaarp tssssch action :)

Cheers Matt.

It feels so good to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, I hope it'll be worth the wait :lol: