• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

welshpug

I believe later tachos are slightly different, not a clue what but I never managed to get my G reg to work from the ECU with the Motronic signal, when I helped with a 306 V6 that worked straight off as it was originally ecu driven.

What did you change Mark to work the tacho?

Daviewonder

Now to post my latest update, I like this one as it involves some nice shiny new bits ;)

I've sourced some 288mm discs to go with the 4 pot Brembo calipers that I acquired the other week. here you can see the size difference between these and the old GTI discs:

SAM_0731.jpg

I also got some Gaz coilovers with 275lb springs a while back from the "for sale" on the forum, hopefully these should cope with the extra engine weight:

SAM_0436.jpg

I had some old 1.9 hubs sitting in the garage so I gave them a good clean up and a couple of coats of paint and assembled them with the new discs and the coilovers, the discs really do look huge:

SAM_0732.jpg

Gave the Brembos a quick clean up and fitted them too:

SAM_0736.jpg

Made up a new piece of brake pipe so I can run my regular hoses:

SAM_0742.jpg

And finished off by upgrading to some GRP N top mount rubbers:

SAM_0737.jpg

Thats it for now :)

Edited by Daviewonder
  • Like 1

EdCherry

That 'adaptor' is a bit dodgy in my eyes, its going to want to flex when being copper pipe it shouldn't be flexing. Phone someone like Automec they should do an adaptor already, and if they dont might be able to tell you who can.

Daviewonder
That 'adaptor' is a bit dodgy in my eyes, its going to want to flex when being copper pipe it shouldn't be flexing. Phone someone like Automec they should do an adaptor already, and if they dont might be able to tell you who can.

I did think that Mate thats why I made it as short as I could. The flexi is nice and secure on the strut so flexing shouldn't be a problem ;)

EdCherry

Fair enough!

welshpug

afaik Mocal do a solid fitting to do exactly that ;)

Daviewonder
afaik Mocal do a solid fitting to do exactly that :)

Any link Mate? This adapter is gonna play on my mind now ;)

Cheers Guys ;)

Daviewonder

Small update, I bought a smaller servo from a 205 td as the standard one was extremely close to the turbo, gave it a quick clean up and a coat of paint. I will fit this when I get a new 406 master cylinder

SAM_0789.jpg

I also bought a new one of these

SAM_0787.jpg

I've now finished off the cooling system and attempted to run the car up, unfortunately the cooling fan didn't cut in but luckily I noticed before anything bad happened. Turns out the connections on the fan had furred up so I gave them a clean up and all was fine :(

Daviewonder

I have finally managed to get hold of some wheels that I've been after for a couple of years now, I almost travelled to france to get some in the past but didn't have to due to getting out bid. Then what do you know, some came up for sale about 50 miles down the road so I quickly snapped them up (thanks Miles) :lol: They are the 16" x 6.5" speedlines that are fitted to the 405 T16 and in my opinion are one of the best looking wheels that Peugeot fitted.

A pic for those of you that don't know what they look like-

T16alloys.jpg

Also they are only a Gnats foreskin away from covering the Brembo 4 pots and I will only have to use spacers of about 3 or 4mm to make them fit :D

Daviewonder

I cant believe it's been 2 months since I worked on this but today I got bitten by the enthusiasm bug again and I made a small amount of progress. I went to fit the new throttle cable that I'd bought but it turned out some vital parts were missing :( Anyway by that point I was already in the mood so I got down to removing the old servo and fitting the new one. I started by making a tool out of a washing up liquid bottle and a length of vacuum hose to suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir, all was going well until I came to undo the brake pipes from the master cylinder and discovered 3 of the 4 were seized and causing the pipes to twist. Long story short I now need to make up some new copper pipes but not to worry as the old ones looks a mess anyway ;)

I managed to remove the old servo after undoing the bottom engine mount and removing the air intake pipe from the turbo the new one went in with ease as its smaller. I now have a bit more clearence down by the turbo.

Old servo clearence-

SAM_1125.jpg

New servo clearence-

SAM_1128.jpg

Servo size comparison-

SAM_1126.jpg

Hope to get some more done tomorrow.

mikeygulley

This looks great! :)

I have just managed to locate and hopefully buy a 2l turbo engine for my 205 so read this with lots of interest.

Mike

Daviewonder
This looks great! :D

I have just managed to locate and hopefully buy a 2l turbo engine for my 205 so read this with lots of interest.

Mike

Cheers Mike, although I hear you're doing a gti6 conversion now :P

Small amount of progress, I have sorted out some nearly new fuel lines as my old ones were extremely rusty and would never have passed an mot test.

SAM_1137.jpg

I now realise that I should have done the fuel lines whilst the engine was out of the car as trying to do them with the engine in is a real pita leading to scratched arms and skinned knuckles :D I have also ordered some standard plastic clips for the brake pipes and some nice P clips for the fuel lines.

Daviewonder

Today I renewed the rubber fuel lines under the bonnet as I had just replaced the metal ones that run under the car. I 've used the 106 filter for ease of fitting mostly as you can use the push on plastic conectors and you dont have to faff about with banjo ones. I have also covered the hoses with some heatproof sleeving to help protect them from the heat that the turbo gives off.

SAM_1151.jpg

SAM_1150.jpg

SAM_1152.jpg

:lol:

Guest Spitfire2k6

just read through the build mate, lookin good, cant wait to see it in all its shiny glory when your done xD

Daviewonder
just read through the build mate, lookin good, cant wait to see it in all its shiny glory when your done xD

Cheers Mate :lol:

Got a few more bits crossed off the list this afternoon-

Fitted new throttle cable as old one wasn't long enough, fitted new clutch cable as old one had seen better days, refitted servo. Fitted driveshaft, coilovers and big brakes to R/H/F along with uprated nuts and bolts etc. I also coated the coilover body and spring with some Autoglym Motorcycle Protectant to hopefully keep them corrosion free for as long as possible.

:lol:

Daviewonder

Just a small update, I have bought an ally 406 master cylinder and some new brake lines also I bought some braided front brake hoses from Miles (Pugracing)

101009_175759.jpg

101009_180123.jpg

Have also ordered a silicone expansion tank hose from stew (Baker bushes & mountings) to tidy up the cooling system a bit.

More soon hopefully :)

matty_gti

Lovely build and a great buy with the calipers!.

With the TD servo, is it thinner than the standard one?, as in the MC won't stick out as far into the engine?.

Daviewonder
Lovely build and a great buy with the calipers!.

With the TD servo, is it thinner than the standard one?, as in the MC won't stick out as far into the engine?.

Hi Mate, thanks.

I'm pretty sure that the servo is the same depth as the GTi one, I think its just the diameter that's different although I'm not 100% sure :)

Edited by Daviewonder

matty_gti

Ok I thought so. Where did you get the fuel lines from that run under the car??.

Daviewonder
Where did you get the fuel lines from that run under the car??.

A 205 that was being broken for parts, they were in excellent condition :)

Kev-G
They are the 16" x 6.5" speedlines that are fitted to the 405 T16 and in my opinion are one of the best looking wheels that Peugeot fitted.

Also they are only a Gnats foreskin away from covering the Brembo 4 pots and I will only have to use spacers of about 3 or 4mm to make them fit :)

Do you not need a 10mm spacer with these anyway (ET 29 v's ET 19 on the 205 wheels)?

Is the 3 or 4 mm spacer with or without this?

Daviewonder
Do you not need a 10mm spacer with these anyway (ET 29 v's ET 19 on the 205 wheels)?

Is the 3 or 4 mm spacer with or without this?

No they're the same offset as the 205 afaik. Also at closer inspection I need 8mm spacers to clear the brembos due to some ribs on the back of the spokes <_<

Daviewonder

Bit of an update as I managed to get some enthusiasm today (hooray).

I decided it was time to turn my attention to the rear suspension today. I recently bought a set of GTI6 trailing arms (thanks Sam) as these give a wider track and more camber than standard ones. I also bought a rear beam from a low spec 309 and some GTI torsion bars and anti roll bar.

306 GTI6 arm with the extra width-

BeamProject015.jpg

I started by giving everything a good spray of WD40 and proceeded to strip the beam down using my trusty slide hammer and torque set-

BeamProject007.jpg

Torsion bars and anti roll bar removed-

BeamProject008.jpg

Low spec and GTI anti roll bar and torsion bar comparison-

BeamProject003.jpg

BeamProject005.jpg

With the anti roll bar and torsion bars removed I was able to remove the trailing arms, I was pleasantly surprised that the arm shafts were in excellent condition with no wear and just a slight bit of polishing-

BeamProject011.jpg

A bonus was the shafts in the 306 arms were near mint too-

BeamProject013.jpg

BeamProject012.jpg

So with the beam fully stripped it's nearly ready to be repainted. I also intend to get some Blit Hamber rust remover and give all the brackets and arms a good soak before I paint them.

More soon <_<

Daviewonder

No more progress with the rear beam as yet due to not getting round to buying the rust treatment yet.

Today I had a couple of spare hours and a bit of enthusiasm so I gave the garage a bit of a spring clean, also I decided it was time to fit the brake pipes-

brakes001.jpg

I also started redoing the cooling system as I'd bought a couple of gates hoses along with a length of flexi hose and a BBM custom hose that I hadn't got around to fitting. It feels good to get a few of the loose ends tidied up :rolleyes:

welshpug

I wouldn't use those shafts myself, you can clearly see the wear an indentations!