• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swordfish210

[trackday_prep] My 205 Xt Trackcar Project

Galifrey

Nice one glad its up and running and you are feeling the lurve again.

:)

swordfish210
OT a bit, but how do you go about setting the ignition timing mate, do you use a timing light?

Just wondering because i'm looking to set the timing on my xs when I get a minute.

Could the indicator problem be an earth you've disturbed doing all the work?

The way i set the timing is to get the car to it's operating temperature then slacken off the dizzy and just slowly rotate it until you find the point where the idle speed peaks, then back it off a bit and reset the idle speed. You can then take it for a drive and if it's pinking a bit then just back it off a tad more.

It probably is a dodgy earth, i'll have a look sometime soon.

swordfish210
Nice one glad its up and running and you are feeling the lurve again.

:lol:

Thanks mate, i really want to get it back out on track now :)

allye

Its almost impossible to get the timing spot on unless you use a timing light! The amount you rotate the dizzy is crazly small, mm's at a time.

Ali

swordfish210

Well i drove the car to work this morning (the bloody 306 wouldn't start :x ) It's still taking ages to start but then it was like that before i rebuilt it, i think it's just down to the way the carbs are set. When i got home i fixed the indicators, it was just some dirty connectors so a nice easy fix B)

I still can't find my balancer so i couldn't do that, does anyone local have one i could borrow to do them as they desperatly need doing. I then took it for a drive to bed the engine in a bit more.

Theres bugger all power below 2500rpm, but as soon as it goes over that it comes on cam and it's pretty vicious, i was getting wheelspin in 2nd at 5000rpm :( . I managed to take a short video of some 2nd gear accelaration:

th_MOV00520.jpg

When i got home i realised that that i hadn't adjusted the throttle stop and i wasn't getting full throttle #-o Epic Fail! So i'll sort that out another time.

I'm going to try and get the car set-up on a rolling road sometime soon as i think the engine deserves to be setup properly, hopefully i can get it producing a bit more poke and starting up better as well :lol:

EdCherry

You better bring this on wednesday, I want a ride to morri's!

swordfish210

No chance on wednesday, i ain't going over all those speedbumps down the Lackham drive in this thing :lol: I may bring it in on Friday though.

EdCherry

Its closed friday you numpty.

Lackham back entrance, 2 speedbumps job jobbed!

I will limp in to college in a poorly 206 just to see it, better be there... or be square...

swordfish210

Well i've been doing a few miles in the car this week and it's all been going pretty well apart from a few things. There is a small oil leak from the sump which looks like it's coming from one of the bolts. It should be an easy fix but the bolt is hidden by the exhaust manifold, so i'll whip the mani off and see if removing the bolt and putting some silicone on it will cure the leak.

The other thing is i seem to have a rear brake sticking on, at least i think it's a rear as it felt a bit warm as i pulled up today so i'll have to have that off and see whats going on. Other than that it's just a few niggley things like tighten up the alternator bracket because the belt has streched a bit and it squeeling on some down changes.

The engine seems to be running in nicely, it feels like it's pulling better with a few miles on it and i'm going to have a fiddle with the carbs to see if i can get it fueling a bit better. I also took a couple of pics today, i only had my phone so excuse the crappy pics but they're better than nothing:

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00521-1.jpg

Thanks for reading

swordfish210

Well i had an eventful night with the car last night. Yesterday morning i got a few jobs on the car done like tightening up the alternator belt and adjusting the carb needles. They were on the lowest setting and i began to think that this was what was causing the poor cold starting as they would be letting allmost no fuel in. I took them out and moved the circlip down one notch and refitted them:

DSC00523-1.jpg

Once that was done i fired it up and it seems to start up a lot better now. I then went to investigate the sticking brake only to find that it wasnt sticking anymore and the pedal felt fine so i left it at that, i couldnt fix it if it wasn't broken. Later that evening i went to go to melksham as a guy there from RetroRides was going to let me use his carb balancer to set mine. I got about 3 miles from my house and the rear brake stuck on again, in a big way :ph34r: I made it to a layby and had a look around and the rear left disc was glowing bright orange, it actually looked really cool :lol:

I waited for it to cool down (which took ages) and then had a poke around and it all seemed fine so i set off again but i made it about 1/4 of a mile, touched the brakes again and this time they all stuck on :P I made it to another layby and i called the guy whose house i was heading to, to say i wasnt going to make it but he offered to come out with some tools and help me get it going again.

So about 10 minutes later he was there and we popped the master cylinder off and gave the pedal a bit of a work out, bolted the M/C back on again and the brakes were fine. We wheeled it back and forth with me hammering the pedal and the brakes were fine so we packed the tools away and he offered to follow me home incase they went again but i we got to the roundabout about 1 mile down the road and they were fine so i waved him off. I can only think the servo or the pedal box was sticking through lack of use and jamming the M/C on. So having the M/C off and wanging the pedal freed it up a bit. I think after that fiasco though it's time for a mini brake overhaul, i.e. grease up all the sliders etc.

Anyway i did get the carbs balanced so they're all sucking 4Kgs of air per hour now :D And the idle is much better. I went back to Neils house today and had a look at his cars :P:wub::wub:

This:

DSC00525-1.jpg

Is powering this:

DSC00526-1.jpg

With a nice short axle:

DSC00527-1.jpg

because the rear tyres are a bit large to cope with all the torque:

DSC00528-1.jpg

and this is his road car:

DSC00529-1.jpg

Fuel injected Pinto power, and it is absolutely imaculate :D

Sorry for the long and mostly pointless post, but slightly more on topic i hope to be getting a DTA loom sooner than expected so hopefully i can get that working earlier in the new year and get it set up properly before it hits the track :D Thanks for reading.

swordfish210

Just a short update, and not a happy one :) I jumped in the car yesterday to go to get a battery for my 306 and the floor of the car was covered in antifreeze :unsure: So the £18 bargain heater matrix that i bought on ebay 2 years ago doesnt look like so much of a bargain anymore as i have to change it again. Luckily because i only have 1/2 a dash it takes about 10 minutes to change.

Also in the 5 mile trip yesterday (Halfords wanted £90 for a battery so i went to the motorfactors and got one for £30) the electrics in the car started to rapidly fail, first the rev counter went, then the water temp gauge, then the wipers, then the lights, etc etc etc. I limped it home and stuck it in the garage in a very bad mood.

I've decided to fit a new loom to the car as i've allways had problems with the electrics in this car and i'm fed up of making futile repairs to sustain its barely functional life any longer.

Sandy

Chin up :lol:

burr_2000

its been a good read dude, keep it up!

swordfish210

As soon as i get a loom i'll get cracking on it again, at least i can trim it down indoors in the warm :ph34r:

Dogboy

keep going with it mate, shes coming along nicely. gonna be sweet once all finished (is a 205 ever all finished...??)

Going to have it ready for Combe etc?

swordfish210

Thanks Phil, yeah it's coming along but will never be "finished", I'll allways have something that i'll want to do with it. Not sure about the action day as i'm pretty busy with Uni atm, so much coursework :unsure:

swordfish210

Time for an update methinks (it's a welcome distraction from coursework :lol: ) Ok the project has been moving slowly for the past month or so due to me having no money and not much enthusiasm to keep working on the car in the freezing cold and not being able to drive it. However 2 weeks ago my student loan finally came though (i only applied for it in August) and i was able to buy some bits to start working on the car again. The first thing i ordered was a set of 24mm torsion bars for the rear and then i got straight on to ebay and bought a new heater matrix, a complete wiring loom from a Roland Garros that was being broken for bits and a 22mm rear ARB from a Saxo VTR that was being broken too.

The wiring loom, heater matix and ARB have all arrived and i decided to get cracking on the loom first as i can do it indoors:

The best thing for a copy of The Sun is to protect your carpet:

DSC00553-1.jpg

When i started:

DSC00555-1.jpg

Allmost done:

DSC00559.jpg

What i've chopped out so far:

DSC00558-1.jpg

I'm now going to fit the loom to the car and see of theres anything else i can remove (theres a few plugs i can't identify despite the super helpful Haynes wiring diagram) I also bought this off of Matt Holley:

DSC00539-1.jpg

His old DTA ignition loom, i now have to splice that and my dash loom in to my lightweight loom and hopefully it should all work. I'm also going to get a battery box and stick it in the boot while i'm at it and wire it in with an FIA cut off switch which i'll mount on a plate in the center console with my switches. I'm also wating on a new exhaust for the car which should spice up the noise a bit :rolleyes: I just need a CPS and coil pack from a 106 to make the DTA work and some sort of trigger wheel. More updates soon hopefully.

welshpug

are they plugs that fit into the fuseboard that you can't identify?

if they are check the diagram Pugtorque posted a while ago, it shows letters next to the sockets, these letters are shown on the wiring diagrams in the back of the haynes workshop manual :rolleyes:

there will usually be paint marks next to the sockets that match the plugs as well.

I guess you haven't got a TDC sensor ring on your flywheel do you?

Edited by welshpug

swordfish210
are they plugs that fit into the fuseboard that you can't identify?

if they are check the diagram Pugtorque posted a while ago, it shows letters next to the sockets, these letters are shown on the wiring diagrams in the back of the haynes workshop manual :rolleyes:

there will usually be paint marks next to the sockets that match the plugs as well.

I guess you haven't got a TDC sensor ring on your flywheel do you?

Nah i know what the plugs in the fusebox do theres just a few randowms at the end of the loom i'm having trouble with. Basically i'm going to fit the loom and if they were unplugged on my old one that they'll be getting cut out of this one. Nah i dont have a timing ring on the std flywheel. I could (read "should have fitted one when i built the engine but i was being a weiner and i forgot") fitted one from a 106 but i'm going to see if i can attach one to the crank pulley because i can't be arsed to take the box off again and mess up my nicely balanced bottom end.

Edited by swordfish210

swordfish210

Not much of an update. I've finished what i can of the loom for now so i'm going to remove the old loom and fit the new loom as i go, removing anything i missed when it was in my room. I'm then going to splice in my dash and DTA loom. As far as the DTA goes i need to get a coilpack from a 106 and sort out some sort of crank position sensor. I dont want to fit a 106 flywheel so i'm going to talk to a few companies to see about getting a custom triggerwheel made up with a sensor to fit to the alternator pulley. I also need to source a throttle position sensor for the carbs, i'm hoping one of the guys at uni has one as he used to race Yamahas and has loads of spares...or so he says.

On a lighter note, i had this made by a mate:

DSC00562_2.jpg

Just for fun, thanks again Jas.

miamichris

what was all the wiring that you chopped out actually for?!

fair play to you for tackling that, best way to learn I suppose..I have to sort the engine loom out on my gti project and definitely not looking forward to it! :lol:

swordfish210
what was all the wiring that you chopped out actually for?!

fair play to you for tackling that, best way to learn I suppose..I have to sort the engine loom out on my gti project and definitely not looking forward to it! :lol:

Thanks Chris. It was stuff like the stereo loom, the driving lights, coil, boot lid, redundant interior parts...stuff like that.

I frigging hate electrics, i hate everything about them so i thought the less my car has, the better. Best to get it all out of the way in one go.

Lan

what happened to all your pics? I was about to re read this project :huh:

swordfish210

Yeah sorry about that, i did drop Cybernck a PM to see if there was anyway i could edit the posts to replace the pics but i never heard back from him. Maybe one of the mods will see this and have a suggestion.