• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swordfish210

[trackday_prep] My 205 Xt Trackcar Project

miamichris
On standard torsion bars maybe. But not on thicker ones. My car is set at 300 mm centres and looks like an off roader at the back, 23mm torsion bars.

I see says the blind man! :mellow:

oz.
Um...thanks :) Whats the difference between the GTI rear valance and the one thats on there?

It's deeper - slight different shape.

I first noticed the lack of spoiler though but the Gti has extra holes to bolt down.

swordfish210

I found i pic now and i can see what you mean, but why would i want to add things to my car that will cause more air resistance :)

welshpug

wont have been a French plank welding that arb off, would have been an English one :)

its quite common for them to fall off the 106 beams when the bearings disintegrate as the end plate sitsright inside the outer bearing and unlike the 205/309/306 beam doesn't have an arm shaft to lean on, just the end of the crossmember as its essentially back to front and that bit doesn't move.

swordfish210
wont have been a French plank welding that arb off, would have been an English one :D

its quite common for them to fall off the 106 beams when the bearings disintegrate as the end plate sitsright inside the outer bearing and unlike the 205/309/306 beam doesn't have an arm shaft to lean on, just the end of the crossmember as its essentially back to front and that bit doesn't move.

I still like to blame the French...it's just so easy :) Looks like i'll have to do some assault and battery with an angle grinder then.

swordfish210

Hey all. No more work done on the 205 as i've been busy with coursework and trying to keep the 306 mobile. I have however been playing a bit of Pimp My Jerry can this week :) I was given a retro Esso jerry can by a friend who's race car i've been working on for the past few years. I wanted it to go with my 205 as it's a bit of a gas guzzler these days and it's hard to do a full trackday without needing a bit more juice in the tank. Also since it's an Esso can it will go well with the Peugeot as they were partners back in the good old days ;D

So I started with this:

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00631.jpg

I then dropped it off at the powder coaters with instructions for them to blast it and powdercoat it a nice gloss white.

I took the cap, a nice brass item, and gave it a polish with some Autosol and some wire wool:

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

I picked it up from the powdercoaters today. I think it looks fantastic and I can't wait to start on the rest:

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

The plan is to paint the esso logo in with the blue ring and red writing and then have the text on the top of the can pinstriped in black.

Edited by swordfish210

miamichris

nice one Swordfish, its a retro jerry can! :)

swordfish210

Thanks Chris, should be finished soon :)

swordfish210

Wassup Ya'll ;) I haven't had much time to work on the car lately as i've been working on my dissertation and the rest of my Uni coursework. I managed to get a bit of time on it though to do a few things. First off i managed to get the old ARB endplate off that had been welded on to the Saxo ARB i had, the splines look in perfect condtion so i just need some 306 endplates now and i can stick that in.

I also made a new template for the CPS bracket that i want to make. I did make a bracket but i wasn't happy with it so i desinged a new one i just have to get in to the workshop at uni now and use the metal folder.

I decided to switch to a small battery instead of the full size car one. I got given this neat battery tray by Jason as he has his very fancy laser cut one now, thanks again mate:

DSC00657.jpg

I've given it a good coat of Satin Black since taking that picture to tidy it up a bit. I also finished making my centre console, it just needs the cut off chord p-clipping on to it, the extinguisher pull chord mounting in and some stickers to lable the switches:

DSC00668.jpg

I also mounted the external pull chord mount in the front wing. The piece of wing that i cut out weighed more than the mount i replaced it with so that was a win :D :

DSC00669.jpg

Should have some more updates the week after next. Thanks for reading.

Jrod

That rubber strip on the wings / doors has to weigh 1kg :blush:

Edited by Jrod

swordfish210

I thought about ripping that all off, maybe if i get it resprayed it can all come off.

EdCherry

I know someone who will do you a respray :)

swordfish210

Yeah but i can't afford it atm, plus i've just put the bloody thing togeather and i don't want to take it apart again for a while.

Jrod

Why do you need to respray? It just comes off. The sticky residue is a bit of a pig to get off but I managed. :)

swordfish210
Why do you need to respray? It just comes off. The sticky residue is a bit of a pig to get off but I managed. :D

It's not that i would need to respray it, i was just saying that if i was going to get a respray then the strips would stay off. The car is currently about 7 different shades of white :)

swordfish210

Well i'm all finished at Uni now so in my last week i had to take advantage of the stuff there while i could still make stuff for free.

The first thing i wanted to make was an adaptor to take a temperature sensor for the DTA ignition. I started off with a Mocal aluminum adaptor and i cut the end off of it, i then put it in the lathe and turned it down so it was nice and flat and drilled a 10.2mm hole in it.

P1010003.jpg

I then found out that the sensor had a M12x1.5 thread on it :( Bloody French! Luckily one of the lecturers at Uni had a tap that size so i borrowed that and cut the thread in it. I finished the adaptor off by PTFE taping the thread and adding a rubber sealing washer so hopefully it won't leak at all:

P1010005.jpg

I also made another bracket for the CPS which should fit a bit better and be a lot stronger than the last one i made (which is now in a bin somewhere :D )

P1010006.jpg

The last thing i made was a new gear rod because the old one was looking fairly skanky and i just wanted to tidy it up a bit:

P10100132.jpg

As far as the car goes i replaced the heater matrix for this nice new Nissens one:

P1010007-2.jpg

Bloody good job too as the old one was shagged, also the box where the matrix sits was full of dirt and leaves so i should have saved a bit of weight :) I was in Bath yesterday so i stopped in Snooks and got some skateboard grip which i wanted to line the footwell with. When i started the footwell was completly rank:

P1010010.jpg

After a quick clean:

P10100112.jpg

And after i laid the grip:

P10100122.jpg

swordfish210

I then went a bit insane (must be the sunlight :D ) and got the Autosol out, i polished up the footplate for the passenger footwell:

P10100162.jpg

and then went completly insane and polished up the topmounts:

P1010018.jpg

P10100152.jpg

Heres my to-do list for the car:

P1010009.jpg

Should have some more updates soon, thanks for reading.

GeorgeXS

How come you are putting the exhaust back to standard? Current one too loud?

swordfish210
How come you are putting the exhaust back to standard? Current one too loud?

Too big for and chavvy my liking. Also it doesnt fit properly and i can't be bothered to modify the mounts to make it fit.

swordfish210

Hey all, i had a bit of an accident yesterday with my foot so i didnt feel like doing a lot but i was getting really bored at home so i went to the workshop and tried to get a few things done to the car. The first thing i did was to remove the exhaust and put the standard one back on. I was never fully happy with the new exhaust as it didnt fit properly, it looked seriously chavvy and i was concerned it would be too loud to pass a noise test at Combe.

The standard exhaust sounds like a sewing machine in comparison but at least i can hear the induction noise more now :). I also fitted my new coolant temperature sensor in to the radiator. It doesnt seem to leak, probably due to the amount of PTFE tape i used :D :

P1010023-1.jpg

The last thing i got done was to re-position the brake vent pipes so they are pointing at the back of the caliper now which will hopefully keep the fluid cool. I should have some more updates next week as i'm going on holiday at the end of the month and i want to have it nearly finished by the time i get back. Thanks for reading.

swordfish210

Hey all, i had a (relativly) free weekend so i got some work done on the 205. The first thing i wanted to do was strip all of the electrics from the car, after pestering my friend for months he's finally agreed to help me do a new loom from scratch for the car so hopefully i can finaly get rid of the electrical gremlins :D .

Heres all of the wiring that i binned from the car and the remnants of my lunch :D ):

P1010032.jpg

Once all of that was out i wanted to clean the floor of the car as best as i could, it could really do with rubbing down and respraying but i can't be bothered with that now so a good clean was in order. I started with this:

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010025.jpg

And after a bit of scrubbing and wiping it looked like this:

P1010026.jpg

It's pretty far from perfect but it will have to do for now. I then fitted my new bulkhead connector for the battery cable that will be going in:

P1010028-1.jpg

I also fitted the ECU in place and chucked some interior bits back in:

P1010027.jpg

P1010029.jpg

Heres how the engine bay look atm, i still need to remove the distributor:

P1010030.jpg

The last thing i did was to mount the idle speed adjuster. In the past it's just been flapping around and i wanted to mount it a bit more securely. When i made the mount for the coil i left a bit of bracket on for exactly this purpose:

P1010031.jpg

It works perfectly too :D . Hopefully have some more updates next week before i go away.

Anthony
I also fitted my new coolant temperature sensor in to the radiator. It doesnt seem to leak, probably due to the amount of PTFE tape i used :( :

P1010023-1.jpg

A bit late now, but ideally you really should have put that on the thermostat housing somewhere - with it on the radiator like that, it will read stone cold until the engine is hot enough to open the thermostat rather than showing the engine warming up, and if you start losing coolant then it might start reading very oddly as it wouldn't be submerged in coolant (radiator fan thermoswitches in the same place often don't work for the same reason if the coolant level is very low)

Oh, and if you keep eating that s**t you'll offset all the weight saving that you're doing :(

welshpug

as well as the fact that it'll read stone cold till the thermostat opens!

edit, doh, must read post more thoroughly :( it did puzzle me too, surely there are suitable tappings in the thermostat housing?

Edited by welshpug

swordfish210

I did want to mount in in the thermo housing but there isnt anywhere to put it. The only place would be the outlet where my sender is for the gauge, and i wanted to keep that.

Its pretty close to the thermo anyway so it will only be a few seconds after the thermo opens that it will switch to hot running. The car will only be stationary while it's warming up anyway

Anthony

I guess the thermostat housing from a later TU 8v engine isn't a direct swap then, as I'm assuming these would all have a CTS sensor on them for the various guises of engine management they ran?