• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swordfish210

[trackday_prep] My 205 Xt Trackcar Project

swordfish210

Thanks mate, i've gotta make some money first to afford the hoses for the coolant system.

pablo

mate where did you get the piping for the brake ducts?

pablo

excellent mate do me for some induction piping! cheers

swordfish210

I spoke to Colin Satchell earlier in the week about joining my bike carbs to the maifold as i really didnt want to use Samco hose again. He sent me a foot of hydraulic return hose that worked perfectly. It was a pain to cut neatly because i didn't have a vice but i got it done in the end:

DSC00505-1.jpg

I seem to be missing one jubilee clip and i have no idea where it went, maybe one of those junkies stole it :ph34r: . I then bolted on my exhaust manifold with some new cap head bolts as i lost most of my old exhaust studs :? They're probably in the same place as the jubilee clip:

DSC00506-1.jpg

I then connected up all of the fuel pipes and fired up the pump to get some fuel pressure, no leaks :) and i got the coolant fan plugged back in, in preperation for running the engine in.

All i need now are the coolant hoses and some fluids to fire it up but i may have to wait until after christmas for the money :o .

swordfish210

That was weird, some guy on another forum just asked me if i wanted to sell the engine so he could fit it to his wifes Xsara Picasso. Some people are strange!

EdCherry

Bet you the studs and jubilee is at the bottom of the wash tank, where I found the manifold!

Looking good mark, you back at work yet?

swordfish210
Bet you the studs and jubilee is at the bottom of the wash tank, where I found the manifold!

Looking good mark, you back at work yet?

Quite possibly. I'm still off work and waiting to see the physio. I tried to go back to work but i ended up with such a bad headache that it was blurring my vision, not good when you're trying to drive.

allye

Are you going to put an air induction pipe on going to the carbs? Almost there now.

Ali

swordfish210
Are you going to put an air induction pipe on going to the carbs? Almost there now.

Ali

I was planning to build another carbon fibre air box like i had with my old weber carb:

07072007413.jpg

I just haven't got around to doing it yet. It seemed to run allright without one on there before anyway, i think theres quite a bit of air circulating around the back of the engine, however it's probably quite warm as it would have gone over the sump and past all of the heater pipes.

Edited by swordfish210

swordfish210

I went to Merlins today and sorted out some coolant hoses for the thing. They were pretty pricy but at least they won't blow out like the old ones had a tendancy to do :lol: :

DSC00508-1.jpg

DSC00509-1.jpg

DSC00510-1.jpg

To finish it off i need to make a T-piece with a 16mm OD main tube and an 8mm OD take off, so i'll knock one up at uni tomorrow. I also need a load more hose clips so i'll sort them out tomorrow (off to B&Q :D ) Then it's just a matter of getting some fluids and an oil filter and it should be ready to go :D:D:D

pablo

whats the little radiator off mate? Coolant pipes in same place as oem?

swordfish210

The radiator is a std TU engined 205 part, it's just quite new and i fitted a 10" slimline fan, also from Merlins. Yeah all the pipes all run in the standard position, more or less.

EdCherry

Does this mean we will see it this side of christmas?

swordfish210

Probably not, i won't be starting it this weekend as i'm really busy and next week is our last week at uni before the break ;):(:D

swordfish210

I finished off my cooling system today :( Yesterday while i was in Uni i made the T-piece that i needed. I started with a piece of 16mm OD tube and a piece of 8mm OD bar:

DSC00511-1.jpg

I then faced off the ends in the lathe and drilled a 5mm hole all the way through the bar. I then took a 2mm section on the end of the bar down to 7.1mm and i drilled a 7mm hole in the middle of the tube:

DSC00512.jpg

I then pressed them togeather in the vice:

DSC00513.jpg

Then i welded the two togeather for a water tight seal. The weld is pretty scrappy but it's functional :rolleyes: This morning i got some more hose clips and clamped up the whole system:

DSC00514-1.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00518-1.jpg

I then filled the system up with water and did a bit more clamping to seal a few leaks, the worst one being a loose bolt on the inlet manifold, all sorted now though :D

DSC00519-1.jpg

I'll try and get it started next week and hopefully it won't blow up straight away :rolleyes:

Galifrey

Why did you fit a fuel swirl pot with carbs?

:rolleyes:

swordfish210

I was having problems with air in the fuel and the car was bogging down at high RPM, the swirl pot cured it perfectly :rolleyes:

Galifrey
I was having problems with air in the fuel and the car was bogging down at high RPM, the swirl pot cured it perfectly :rolleyes:

Fairy Nuff

:rolleyes:

miamichris

looks tidy swordfish :rolleyes:

...wasn't talking about your welding :( not that I can weld anyway :rolleyes:

swordfish210

Thanks mate, my weldings not neat but it works.......most of the time :rolleyes:

swordfish210

I had a bit more free time this weekend than i had anticipated so i went to Halfords this morning and got some transmission oil and some decent engine oil with the aim of getting the car running today.

I filled the oil systems up and did a bit more bellding of the coolant system, then i made sure that everything was tight and connected up and i began to try and start it. It was catching and spluttering for a while but not actually firing. I then tried a bit of brake cleaner down the carbs and it caught but then died instantly :(

I then called my friend Matt and he came around with with a new can of brake cleaner and we gave it a few more tries but it was having none of it. We then had a bit more of a play around with the carbs and after a bit more persistance it finally fired up and i got it up to 2500rpm and left it running there while Matt and i did a few checks and bled the cooling system.

It was all going fine and it had been running for nearly 20 mins when the pipe for my oil pressure gauge touched the exhaust manifold and melted causing some oil to fly out at very high pressure :lol: Luckily my hand was practically on the key at the time so i shut it off instantly. After a bit of a clean up i removed the t-piece for the oil pressure gauge and blocked up the hole. Matt and i then cleaned up the oil and fired it up again so i could take it for a quick drive. I just drove it down the road before stopping to give it a quick check over again.

I then set the ignition timing, as it was far too retarded, and reset the idle speed. I was going to balance the carbs but i seem to have lost my balancer :( and i then set the gear linkage as it was popping out of gear and then took it for another short drive.

I only went up the road but it made a big imperssion, the steering is very heavy but incredibly precise and theres tonnes of grip, it really is a case of "point me where you want me to go and i'll do it" :lol: I had also forgotten what decent brakes were :) . I didnt floor the throttle as i want to run the engine in a bit first but there really isnt any power to speak of below 2500rpm then the cam kicks in and it's got loads of torque at about 3500rpm :D

I'll find my balancer and do a bit of setting on the carbs, i've also got a bit of a problem with the indicators, the front ones don't seem to be working :?

allye

Sounds like a fairly good first start up of a rebuilt engine, at least it went! Congrats on getting it finally going, bleeding TU's is a right co*k of a job!

Ali

Also video!?

swordfish210

Thanks mate. Sorry no video yet, i'll try and get one up tomorrow if i get home before it's dark :)

miamichris

OT a bit, but how do you go about setting the ignition timing mate, do you use a timing light?

Just wondering because i'm looking to set the timing on my xs when I get a minute.

Could the indicator problem be an earth you've disturbed doing all the work?