• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swordfish210

[trackday_prep] My 205 Xt Trackcar Project

swordfish210

Oh they will, they're under strict orders from me to stay looking awesome :) . I'll hardly be driving the car on the road anyway so it won't be getting very dirty and it'll be getting cleaned after trackdays.

swordfish210
Nice work as usual, Great pedals those :) shame someone couldn't fit them straight tho :D

I'm a bit confused by that picture too, they are definetly straight as i measured them but in that pic they look as crooked as a dogs back leg :)

Lan
I'm a bit confused by that picture too, they are definetly straight as i measured them but in that pic they look as crooked as a dogs back leg :)

fair enough, One thing that does surprise me with my car in comparison is even though the pedals are pretty much identically placed my spacing between the clutch and brake is big and the accelerator is close whereas on yours its the opposite :S gotta love Peugeot for consistency

Edited by Lan

swordfish210

Pretty odd, how is your car coming along?

Lan

no intentions of filling your thread up but slowly atm nothing worth putting into a post on my thread anyway. I've been drafted into a holiday in January so not much spare dough with tight hours at work, still accumulating parts for the rebuild when I can, suspension is ready to be built up then sorting a cage should be next ideally, I might get some work done soon but the majority wont be till after January now.

allye

I was just thinking about puting a towing strap on mine in the last few days as mine front eye is bent after towing it back from milton keynes when i bought it! Are you going to keep it pinned to the valance some how (like that crazy evo track car some linked on here)

swordfish210
I was just thinking about puting a towing strap on mine in the last few days as mine front eye is bent after towing it back from milton keynes when i bought it! Are you going to keep it pinned to the valance some how (like that crazy evo track car some linked on here)

Hadn't thought about it much, i'll probably just fold it away and loop a cable tie through it. Hopefully i'll never have to use it :)

allye

Haha, yer that would be nice, I like the look of them will add it to the list!

Its coming along nicely its going to be mental whens its done (again) when do you plan to have to rolling again?

swordfish210

Ha ha cheers :) I would like to have it done and mapped by the 27th as there is a trackday at Combe which some of my friends are doing and i want to do it too.

If you think it's mental now wait until i put the Honda engine in it :D

Lan

ooo.... now what honda engine would that be??

swordfish210
ooo.... now what honda engine would that be??

Next stage for the car, TU engine will be going off to someone else and i'm going to plonk a K10 engine in its place :) I may do it in 2012 if i have the funds.

Mart Pug

Hey - just read your project - awesome mate, some nice ideas!

welshpug

I know a K20, but not a K10? 1.0??

swordfish210
I know a K20, but not a K10? 1.0??

:) Keyboard fail, to be fair i am typing in the dark. FYI energy saving lightbulbs are rubbish...might as well use the moonlight

swordfish210

Not much of an update, i've been doing loads of little jobs but not many worth talking about. I've fitted my tow straps, just need to think of some way to hold them down now:

P1010112-1.jpg

P1010113.jpg

I've also mounted my relays to my centre console:

P1010110-1.jpg

P1010111.jpg

I seem to be a bit stuck wating for parts atm, i've bought some new rear wheel bearings from ParagonPug on eBay which still haven't arrived, i'm wating for my oil thermostat plate from Mocal and i'm still wating for a load of bolts from Peugeot :rolleyes: Hopefully i'll get some of them tomorrow as otherwise i'll lose the whole weekend.

allye

Tow straps look good, i was thinking of using popper type things to fasten them to the valance? That will mean putting a small hole in the strap though. Other than that thin cable tie!? not very tidy.

Looking at those might have to replace both, as one will look abit wierd!

• Like 1

swordfish210
Tow straps look good, i was thinking of using popper type things to fasten them to the valance? That will mean putting a small hole in the strap though. Other than that thin cable tie!? not very tidy.

Looking at those might have to replace both, as one will look abit wierd!

I might just do what the guy with the evo did and velcro them to the valance, i wont have the whole strap exposed all the time though as it will get all dirty. Just having one would look weird, there was a guy at Lackham college who had a chavved up Saxo with only one tow strap...thing is he hadnt removed the original tow eye, so he had both sticking out :(

allye

Haha, you'v got to love chavs half arsed aproach.

swordfish210

My wheel bearings finally turned up so i got them fitted, i had to do a bit of chopping and changing with spacers to get the trackwidth back to what it was and be able to tighten the nut up fully but i got there without too much hassle.

P1010115-1.jpg

I then swapped my old manky calipers for my much cleaner ones, i had a bit of a problem with this and i ended up nearly rounding off a brake line union but i got it off in the end:

P1010116.jpg

I've now got the mammoth task of bolting up the Koni rear dampers while they are on their stiffest setting ;) , anyone who has used these dampers before knows how hard they can get. Once thats done and i have some new rear tyres the back end of the car will be done then i just have to do the loom...and the oil system...and refit the interior....and get it mapped...and get it MOT'd...and clean it :(

swordfish210

Long time no update :( . I've been doing odds and sods but nothing worthy of a post but the car has been coming along. After i got the car back on the ground when i fitted the beam i allmost straight away (after checking the ride height) got the front end up in the air so i could sort the oil system. I finally got my oil thermostat back from Mocal in working order, they kind of annoyed me by saying it was in perfect working order when i sent it to them, even though it wasn't, but they sent me back a brand new one anyway B) I also went to Merlins today and they let me use the equipment in the Goodridge room for half an hour as i wanted to swage the lines for my oil cooler:

P1010118.jpg

Once i had done them i fitted it all back on:

P1010120.jpg

I would have fitted a filter too as i bought a Genuine Peugeot one from eBay supposedly for a TU engine but it doesnt fit as the thread is way too small :) :

P1010126.jpg

I then took the sump off and resealed it, for one reason or another it didn't seal very well and was weeping from two places when i built the engine but it should be fine now. I also removed the distributor and fitted the blanking plate that i made some time ago:

P1010121.jpg

I then put the exhaust manfold back on and the wheels then rolled the car outside for a few pics:

P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

You can see here how much rear Toe-In the Xsara arms have given:

P1010124.jpg

and here how much the front tyres stick out of the arches with the 309 wishbones:

P1010125.jpg

The front also has quite a bit of toe out atm from when i centralised the rack but i should be sorting that out soon :o

allye

Nice and legal then :) Oil cooler is a smart job, deciding whether to put one on the VTS engine or not, general consensus is it isn't needed for a road car.

Don't say long time no update, that makes me feel bad!

Ali

swordfish210
Nice and legal then :) Oil cooler is a smart job, deciding whether to put one on the VTS engine or not, general consensus is it isn't needed for a road car.

Don't say long time no update, that makes me feel bad!

Ali

Thanks, i really want to cut the front crossmember out and replace it with some box section and mount it that way which should be a bit neater. Have to agree on the oil cooler/road car front, a heat exchanger would be much better.

welshpug

thread size may well be stamped on that filter Mark, might be 3/4".

by miamistu's copy of the parts data its for the Talbot E1/F1/G1/J2 and Y2 engines.

Edited by welshpug

swordfish210

It probably is but i didn't look, i just got pissed off and bunged it back in the box. Once i find out what cars it will fit i'll stick it on ebay

swordfish210

Hey all, i've been slacking off on the car lately due to a combination of no time or cash (business as usual then) I have done a few little jobs, namey give the wiper motor a stripdown and clean. It seemed to be running a little slow the last time i used it and it was no wonder why when i took it apart, the commutator and magnets were completly clogged up:

Before i cleaned it:

P1010127.jpg

P1010128.jpg

It's all back togeather now and should work much nicer. I also had a stroke of luck when i was searching for some stuff for Allye as i stumbled across a throttle position sensor for the carbs which would have cost me £213 new from Yamaha :o :

P1010131.jpg

I've also bought one of these from Peter Lloyd Rallying, excellent price and great service so they come fully reccomended from me :D :

P1010134.jpg

And Ed Cherry has leant me his Dunlop gauges so i can get the tracking sorted:

P1010133.jpg

You never know, i might get it running again soon :unsure: