• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

Paul_13

That is where the constant live goes to :D

I'm sure the wires are connected properly, I'm 100% the relays fudged. Thanks to Jonnie205 :(

I've got to the bottom of the starter kicking in to early I swapped 2 wires round on the plugs, sorted the problem :D

I can't thank you enough for helping me with this :D

taylorspug

As i stated a couple of pages ago, could be corrosion in the pins of the double relay. Remove it and refit it a few times, even though you have voltage at the pins when you check it with a meter, ive had it a couple of times where the relay still doesnt make a contact when you fit it.

Paul_13

I did replace it and refit a few times had a look at the terminals and they looked clean even gave it a clean with some electrical contact cleaner.

I bought of Jonnie205 .... :D

Edited by paul_xiii

welshpug

its a common failure, nothing to do with who you bought it from.

we had the same issue with Goliath's turbo engine which took a while to find, in the end we had half a dozen replacements after 3 of us went to a scrapyard :D

Anthony

Assuming your mate isn't getting the engine fitted in the next couple of days, try the relay, crank sensor, ECU etc that you picked up from me yesterday - they all definately work, and then once you've identified the issue, you can obtain a replacement for whatever is goosed :D

Paul_13

Cheers Weshpug and Anthony, I'm ringing him like mad trying to get hold of him but he's not answering :D

I think that's the best plan of attack :D

taylorspug

Just to update, does the starter still come on with the second click of the key?

Spiky

the starter and switched live were swapped to fix this, as i have just looked up and he has swapped the wires on my loom, as my loom is a pre 1991 setup

Paul_13

As Spiky said :D ^

taylorspug

Ah ok, it didnt seem clear if you had actually fixed that problem by swapping those wires.

Paul_13

Sorry it's a few pages back, I posted a pictures of the plugs and what I had changed

Miles

If you've got the part number I'll check mine

Paul_13

Oops read that wrong, must get some coffee in me

Edited by paul_xiii

Paul_13

Just looked through service box and I think it's 454935

gti-si

Very annoying...

I've got a double relay or two lying around somewhere, I could of sent one down had I read this earlier!

I'd also point to that, I can't see it being the ECU with the fact you've tried three. The ECU not having a constant live could and would cause these problems, I had this on my first attempt, but if it's connected to a ring terminal it can't be that. Double relay is the only thing left really, unless your CAS is knackered?

Paul_13

I think the crank sensor's pretty much brand new, i'm going to nick my mates ecu, cas and relay and see if this solves it then find replacements for him ^_^

How much would you want for a relay? gti si

Edited by paul_xiii

Paul_13

Right i've got ECU, crank sensor and relay off Anthonys engine. Hopefully this will work!

Paul_13

Still no joy, I've tried Anthony's ECU, Ign. relay and crank sensor still no petrol being injected and no spark.

Fuel pump still turns on at position 2 on the ignition barrel.

I've unplugging and plugging in the relay and a dozen times on each relay.

Could the cam sensor being fudged stop it from working and a dead alternator be a cause??

Thanks in advance for any replies i'm out of ideas.

Spiky

have you got the fuel pipes the right way?

from the filter to the thicker 8mm pipe not the smaller 6mm pipe?

picture of the engine bay please

or test by take the pipe off the thicker pipe and put it into a jar, and have a quick flick of the ignition, so it dont flow to much petrol

if itdont flow, you have them the wrong way around :ph34r:

Spiky

have you got a GOOD earth from the engine to the chassis?

Edited by Spiky

gti-si

Sounds like the ecu doesn't have a permanant live :ph34r:

Spiky
Sounds like the ecu doesn't have a permanant live :ph34r:

as far as i can remember the only perm live, is labeled and "should" (as in paul shouldhave connected it) to the starter or alternator perm live fed direct from the battery

Paul_13

I see what you mean, i've just put the walbro pump in the tank and the flow and return are marked, the other pump wasn't.

I pulled off the flow (which I think is the thicker of the 2 pipes coming off the fuel rail, is this correct?) and petrol pissed out everywhere.

But saying that petrol came out the return aswell as the flow when I changed the pump earlier.

I've got a few pics but I think they're useless as I took them for other reasons.

dsc00421v.th.jpg

^thats how the plugs are wired up currently

enginee.th.jpg

^bit of a sh!t pic but may help

p1010011y.th.jpg

^the hose at the back is the flow, which comes off the metal with the union on from under the car.

dsc00408b.th.jpg

Big ring connector is on the live battery cable terminal on the alternator and the smaller one I have cut off and added a spade connector for the solenoid.

and that about all the pics i've got

Paul_13
have you got a GOOD earth from the engine to the chassis?

I may of made a school boy error, its a braided earth cable going from engine to body. I did a bit of painting in the engine bay and knowing me i've probably forgot to sand the surface off before tightening the bolt down.

gti-si

Fuel pipes are fine.

Earth sounds a good possibility