• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

James_R

Glad to be of help, I'll dig out the woodruff key and something (when you remind me what it was) out the workshop for you.

See you on the 6th :D

Cameron

Errrrrrr.. I can't remember. 8V pulley? :rolleyes:

DrSarty

Cam>

How long now then before bwaarrrp?

You could grind off all of that casting above the oil temp sender; I did.

James>

Man you is looking old! :rolleyes:

Now your 205's practically done, watch the years fall off as you grin from ear to ear again.

Thomas>

Long time no see.

Great to see top people working together. Nice project too.

James_R

James>

Man you is looking old! :blink:

Now your 205's practically done, watch the years fall off as you grin from ear to ear again.

It's t aged me that much this last rebuild :blush::lol: That and the bike, white knuckle ride that is :lol:

Also you should know a 205 is never "finished" mearly at an interim stage of running but not finished :rolleyes:

Cameron

Bwaarp is due on the 6th July, but I'm hoping to get it running within the next 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

I'm going to keep the big wings though, at least for now. I quite like having the extra gearbox - engine bolts.

xxvickyxx

like the cage going to be very quick :)

Cameron

Been busy the past few evenings, getting the radiator mounted. I was planning to make a nice folded stainless bracket but I'm running out of time now so I decided to make it out of some 25mm RHS I had spare. Started off by temporarily re-fitting the bumper and radiator, then taking some measurements and knocking this up:

SSL21604.jpg

And welded some tabs on for the radiator to sit in.

SSL21605.jpg

So the rad sits here like so.

Its really bloody strong! I managed to stand on it and bounce the car, so it'll do just fine! :)

SSL21606.jpg

The EWP tucks nicely in here, and I managed to get it plumbed in using cut up bits from the original hoses.

SSL21607.jpg

I was going to make a separate bracket to support the EWP but I thought I may as well weld it to the rad bracket.

Annoyingly I had already painted the bracket so I had to grind the paint back a bit, hence it not being so tidy.

SSL21609.jpg

SSL21610.jpg

Pretty happy with it.

I've also ordered a set of polycarbonate windows from ebay, got them for £155 for a full set with sliders with aint too shabby! I was going to order a whole sheet and make my own but I'm running out of time (and money) fast.

I'll need to figure out some sort of crank pulley this weekend so I can get it running, I tried using an 8V pulley but the offset is way off. Looks like I'll have to go and have another rummage at the scrap yard!

Edited by Cameron

Tom Fenton

If you get stuck with the pulley and need a special Carl can make you one to a drawing.

Cameron

Ah yes! I keep meaning to plug him but I haven't got any photos of the parts he made me yet. I'm going to try and get something to fit first, even if it means fitting a GTi6 one, I really want to get it running this weekend!

Cameron

I knew I had some extra photos somewhere.. they were hiding from me!

Just some pics of the mock-up:

Bumper re-fitted.

SSL21588.jpg

Rad in place.

SSL21589.jpg

Bracket wants to go here.

SSL21590.jpg

In other news, my vacuum pump blanking plates are ready..

SSL21594-1.jpg

They fit really nicely against the pump back plate.

SSL21596.jpg

Fitted.

SSL21601-1.jpg

And, remember I said I had gearbox trouble? I couldn't get anything but first, second and reverse once the engine had been fitted, very worrying!! Turned out it was very simple, see if you can spot it.

SSL21586.jpg

Turns out I had the reverse gear cable where the breather should be, and vice versa, which meant no gears! :)

Swapped it over quickly and all better!

IanH

Please forgive me if you've mentioned this elsewhere in this thread and Ive not noticed, but Ive got an Mi linked to a gti6 box, and I was wondering how you overcame the loss of right hand lock? Specifically how you avoided grinding the O/S tyre into the bell housing of the gearbox, lol! Did you alter the rack, or fit a steering limiter plate or something?

I love the close ratios this box gives, seems to work nicely quite nicely imo.

Cheerd for any info (or abuse if youv'e mentioned this millions of times before in this forum :) )

Edited by IanH

Cameron

You'll need to fit some sort of lock limiter so it'll pass an MOT, I stuck a jubilee clip around the offside steering arm, under the gaitor. I'm using a GTi6 rack now which has a lock limiter fitted, we'll see if that works.

James_R

Looking good Cam, T-minus 26days now :blush:

Cameron

Argh don't remind me! :)

Got so much to do!

Baz

Pugfest?

Cameron

Tits! Mapping is on the 6th, I might tag along in the Mondeo though. ;)

oli-pug
Tits! Mapping is on the 6th, I might tag along in the Mondeo though. :unsure:

Think i'm going Pugfest this year, can grab a lift with me if you want.

Cameron

All depends on how finished the 205 is. I may well be working that day if mapping is first thing in the morning! :(

If I can afford the day off then yeah ok. :lol:

Cameron

Been busy again today, started off with a trip to the scrap yard and managed to get a crank pulley, rover ICV, 405 top rad hose (GTi6 style fitting but no annoying t-piece) and some other bits and bobs for a very respectable £7. :D

Then got on with the work, the biggest job was fitting the oil cooler. I wanted to get rid of the rubbish mount that comes with the fitting kit as it just looks nasty, so we offered it up and then made some little mounting brackets to weld to the radiator mount.

SSL21612.jpg

SSL21613.jpg

Looks nice, but we soon found that you just couldn't get the bumper on, so had to cut the mounts off and relocate them to the top of the rad bracket.

Like so.

SSL21614.jpg

Then welded it up, and gave it some paint.

SSL21615.jpg

SSL21617.jpg

Mmm, unrestricted airflow. :(

SSL21616.jpg

So with that done, we could stick the bumper back on! Also put the lights and associated gubbins back in so its almost looking like a car again!

SSL21618.jpg

SSL21619.jpg

SSL21620.jpg

Looking sweeeeet! :D

Thanks to James for lending a much needed hand. Since I brutalised my hand last night I was pretty much useless at everything except the welding. He even had to change gear for me on the way to the scrap yard. :mellow:

James_R

Just got home, plebs at the services had priced bogo petrol at 110.9p/litre, but V-poo was 109.9 hmm tough call there!!

Glad to be a hand (since you rinsed yours) lookig forward to getting the beasty running soon :mellow:

• Like 1

oli-pug

cracking on well now Cam :mellow: you're not too shabby at this fabrication business are ya.

Did you go M&D again? Oh, it's probably the picture playing tricks and you've probably thought it through already, but the bends in the oil pipes look quite tight

Cameron

Been busy with the wiring today, namely getting the ICV fitted. I picked up the ICV stepper motor from a Rover K-series (6 pin plug) from the scrap yard on recommendation of Emerald. Cost me £0. :lol:<_<

Handily the terminals are the same as the ECU plug and I had some spares, so I can get away without any ugly soldering. First job was to strip my management loom down and then get the terminals and wires in the ECU plug. Then took it over to the car to make sure I had the right length, and fitted the terminals.

Here's the plug.

SSL21622.jpg

And fitting the terminals.

SSL21621.jpg

And the finished item, looks OE. :P

SSL21623.jpg

Handily the ICV motor fits to the GTi6 housing and the plunger seems to be the same, so it was an easy fit. Time will tell I guess. The only problem was that I had to file a bit off the throttle cable bracket to clear the plug.

SSL21624.jpg

I've ordered a little breather filter to sit on the intake end (which sits under the inlet manifold) so it should look nice and neat. Hopefully it will work too. :)

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

that's fitted back to front Cameron....