• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

That's deliberate. :blush:

Edited by Cameron

Baz

Coming along nicely!

Cam you should start manufacturing all these brackets etc, there's certainly be a calling for them, should be well worth your time! :blush:

Cameron

I could do, but I'd need definite interest before I start making any, don't want to go making something and find that nobody wants it.

Been busy the past couple of days making my exhaust system, starting with the silencer. I've decided to go for a single 10.5" x 5.5" oval x 500mm box, and 2.5" system throughout. It should be slightly quieter than my old group N (which I'll be selling) due to the larger volume and decent packing material. I started on the box last night..

First up, the two pressed skin halves. I'm using these rather than having a rolled oval because I can't do any of this stuff at work due to the rules on newbies, and I don't have any rollers at home. A bit more of a faff but nevermind.

IMG_0523.jpg

The skin halves get tacked together.

IMG_0525.jpg

And then tacked the stubs into the end plates, and one end plate into the skin.

IMG_0527.jpg

Perf gets wrapped in wire wool to reduce packing blowout.

IMG_0528.jpg

Then the perf gets wrapped in the packing material, but annoyingly I didn't grab enough from work and I was about a metre short! :lol:

This turned out to be a bit of a blessing, as I was originally using E-glass (cheapo stuff), but decided to go for S-glass which is more expensive, but less than half the weight.

So I picked things up today, wrapped the perf in the S-glass and slipped it into the skin.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Then the end plate gets tacked in, and hammer the edges to neaten them up. Then fuse all the edges!

IMG_0534.jpg

And finally stitch the perf in at the inlet end to stop it rattling, the other end remains free to give some room for it to grow.

IMG_0535.jpg

All done! :D

I'm really happy that I chose to change to S-glass, the silencer is really very light whereas it was quite heavy before, and that wouldn't do. :lol:

I'll be getting on with the rest of the system next week, will hopefully have it done next weekend.

I also got this today, my cheapo eBay breather filter to fit the ICV.

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

That's why I chose to mount the ICV back to front. :D

Cameron

Some more work on the exhaust today..

First job was to cut the 2" section off the stainless downpipe I acquired from James.

SSL21625.jpg

Mmm.. dog s*it welding!

SSL21627.jpg

Pretty piss poor by anyones standards, having that much penetration!

Anywho, I now have some 2.5" stainless tube for the system, so I swaged the end up to fit over the downpipe and then trimmed it to length. Fitting the downpipe took about an hour, damn inacessible bolts!! ;)

SSL21631.jpg

I also managed to get hold of some cheap bends from a friend, they are 18swg stainless like the rest of the system. I trimmed one to fit and tacked it in place.

SSL21632.jpg

The back box will be roughly in this position.

SSL21635.jpg

I'd stuck a bit of tube in as a temporary tail pipe to help me line it all up.

SSL21637.jpg

I'll hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow, fitting that downpipe ate up most of my evening! Will hope to have the system all tacked in place. :)

In other news, my polycarbonate windows have arrived! I managed to get them (brand new) for £155 including postage, what an eBay bargain. :D I'll get pics of them being fitted as soon as I can, will probably do it this weekend.

tom_m

looking good cam ;)

welshpug

hard to get a scale on it, but is that backbox substantial enough to keep a nigh on 200 bhp engine quiet enough?

Baz

Awesomes!! :D

make me one... ;):)

BackStreetRacecars

actually cannot wait to see this finished.... rock on!!!

Sam
hard to get a scale on it, but is that backbox substantial enough to keep a nigh on 200 bhp engine quiet enough?

I ran a peugeot sport magnex (from 106) backbox on mine with no centre silencer and it was barely louder than standard. You'd be suprised what a decent silencer can do, it was similar shape also.

Cameron

I'm really hoping so, its larger than the group-N box I had on there, although that was quite loud! Will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Just under 2 weeks to go! B)

Cameron

Awwriiiiiight..! Some more work today, I managed to get the system all tacked in place. :D

I only took pics once it was finished as I was having a bit of a montage, here's the mid section.

SSL21642.jpg

SSL21643.jpg

You can see where it bends to clear the beam here, cut a few bends up and tacked them together. Was extremely awkward to do in the limited space! :ph34r:

The back box joins to the mid pipe infront of the rear beam, just out of shot. Makes the rear section longer but it was easiest to do it this way.

SSL21646.jpg

And then I cut a proper tailpipe for it.

SSL21647.jpg

SSL21644.jpg

Looks pretty good, could look completely different on the ground but we'll see.

Completed system.

SSL21640.jpg

SSL21638.jpg

:D

Really happy with it! Its not quite BTB standard, but I reckon its a pretty good effort considering the car is just jacked up on stands! :lol:

Tomorrow I'll weld it all up and make a start on the brackets.

Cloverleaf

Looks brilliant....want to make me one?? :ph34r:

Cameron

Can do but it'll be expensive. :ph34r:

Arahan

Group buy time! :lol: haha!

Baz

How expensive, it they fit straight on Mi/6'd 205's without hassle, you have a market... :lol:

Cameron

I don't see why they wouldn't, you'd need to modify your own downpipe obviously. The materials are quite expensive, particularly the bends, so they would have to be getting on for £400-450.

edbar

Really good, if you could supply the pipe and bends i would weld it myself! what bore is it?

Cameron

Its probably pretty safe to say that it'll be a one-off, I finish at BTB in just over 2 weeks so I won't have the same access to cheap materials.

Anyhow, I (almost) finished it today! Well, it needs a bracket for the centre pipe but I'll do that after I trim the downpipe a bit more, but its all welded up and sitting on it's own brackets. :angry:

The finished item.

SSL21651.jpg

SSL21650.jpg

SSL21649.jpg

And fitted, with the car back on the ground.

SSL21652.jpg

SSL21654.jpg

:)

Sits very nicely at the moment, but it will move when it gets hot for the first time so it may well need a tweak. I'm chuffed to bits with how it came out! I'll give the downpipe a trim tomorrow and then fit the final bracket, looking good for having it running this weekend. :(

Henry 1.9GTi

pukka

edbar

Really good! I know mine wont be as good as that now :wacko: Great work!

oli-pug

great stuff, be ready for mapping then? :rolleyes:

Cameron

Yep, should be! Needs some work between now and then though, the map needs some tweaks and I still need windows and doors. :rolleyes:

tom_m
I still need windows and doors. :rolleyes:

not for a quick joy ride you don't :ph34r:

Cameron

True, but I need brakes! :rolleyes:

I need an extra pair of hands for that too. :ph34r: