• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

BackStreetRacecars

sorry to jump in a touch here..... but seeing that it pushes the hub out 10mm, the track will also be increased by the same amount yeah? so if you are running 309 wishbones already adn 205 shafts then they will be more likely to pop out? I know this seems very obvious reading it over... but I was thinkin about doing something similar too and wanted to check to make sure I wasn't missing anything!!

taylorspug

No the driveshaft spacing stays the same, its just the wheel that is further out. Its basically just like running a 10mm wheel spacer.

BackStreetRacecars
No the driveshaft spacing stays the same, its just the wheel that is further out. Its basically just like running a 10mm wheel spacer.

I clearly have missed something here then..... If the carrier is the 1.6 one... the hub is the 1.9 one and the bearing is from a 1.9.... Where is the extra ten mm coming from? If the difference is in the hub carrier, which is the only place it can be surely... then surely the inner edge of the bearing has to be 10mm further out also? so then the shaft will have to go 10 mm further... surely?? B)

Cameron

Yeah, this isn't making much sense. :lol:

Lets clear things up.. From all the info above it seems that the hub - being the part the disc & wheel bolt to - is the same on both 1.6 and 1.9, and the diffenrence is in the hub carrier - being the part that attaches to the strut and wishbone, and that the brake caliper bolts to - is different on 1.6 and 1.9 models.

So I guess that either the outer bearing face of the 1.6 hub carrier is 10mm further out from the wishbone mounting point (so the track will effectively be 10mm wider) or it is 10mm further out from the caliper mount, meaning the caliper mount is 10mm further away from the wheel, giving more space for the brakes.

BackStreetRacecars

I'm gonna dig out my old 1.6 hubs tomoro and have a wee gander with one beside a 309 one.... Will write up measurements tomoro evening if it is of any help?

welshpug

All the extra offset of a 1.6 (meaning track width) is in the hub itself, as in the bit outboard of the bearing is bigger, the shafts are the same length 1.6 to 1.9.

The 1.6 hub carrier is the same as the base models (as is the bearing) which shares the same track width as the 1.9

taylorspug
All the extra offset of a 1.6 (meaning track width) is in the hub itself, as in the bit outboard of the bearing is bigger, the shafts are the same length 1.6 to 1.9.

The 1.6 hub carrier is the same as the base models (as is the bearing) which shares the same track width as the 1.9

What he said.

Cameron

Update time. :)

Its been like Christmas for me today, 3 parcels arrived at work! My brake calipers off eGay, my Catcam pulleys and my shocks back from Gaz.

So when I got home I opened them up and got a bit of a shock, the brake calipers are absolutely fecking enormous! Nevertheless I offered them up inside my wheels (14" Rallye steels) and, well, gave up. So they'll be back on eBay tomorrow! :mellow:

This pic shows the extent of the problem.. that's a standard size 1.9 brake disc!

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Its such a shame I can't use them as the calipers are seriously tasty, not to mention light!

So back down to earth a bit, my Catcam pulleys! :)

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Very, very impressed with the quality of them! So I'm currently deciding weather to splash out on cams (which will cost another £800) or to just get the thing back together. I'd really like to get some cams before it goes off to be re-mapped, as it doesn't make sense to do it twice, but funds are getting a bit tight!

And finally, present number 3: my freshly rebuilt shocks!

IMG_0426.jpg

I'm really impressed with the service from Gaz. Its taken just under a week from posting them to getting them back! They've replaced my worn damper rods, replaced all the seals etc. and re-shimmed them to suit my car. They also supplied me with some 350lb springs to suit my tyres. :)

So next on the agenda is to sort out the exhaust tunnel to gain a bit of clearance for the downpipe & manifold, then I can give the engine bay and the interior a coat of paint, then put all the bits back on! :)

taylorspug

All looks good. :mellow:

Quick question- do those Catcam pulleys have the marking on the rear to support sequential injection?

welshpug

something to think about re-cams, get some XU10J4R or 7JP4 cams reground, far cheaper that way :mellow:

Cameron

Taylorspug - If you mean the lug on the back for the cam phase sensor then no they don't have it.

I've got a little bit of time to think about the cams as I'll need to wait for the end of the month anyway. I know what I want to do, but what I can afford is another story. :mellow:

taylorspug

Didnt think so, thanks for the info. :mellow:

DrSarty

Good update Cam.

Slightly OT request: but as a recent customer of Gaz, perhaps you would kindly mention the EuroTrip to them saying we have a van with several supporters' stickers on (CatCam, Emerald, PugRacing, AutoFive, Peugeot, PPC Mag)....but no-one who's a suspension supplier.

For a £100 Help For Heroes donation which they can make on the eurotrip.205gtidrivers.com website (top left) - and probably write of as some sort of tax thingy - we will place 3 sizeable Gaz stickers on the van, flashing them across 3,000 miles, 9 countries and lots and lots of eyes of potential buyers.

£100 is sod all. If they supply the stickers, we'll do our bit for them.

PM me please with what they say. Your phone call as a recent customer may fair far better than our e-mail. Good luck and keep up the work on this great project.

edbar

Cameron, have a look at newman cams site as they are very reasonable with pricing and friendly to deal with. Gti-6 cams £350 exc vat.

James_R

Hmm PH4's

taylorspug
Hmm PH4's

Couldnt agree more!

Super Josh
Hmm PH4's

Couldnt agree more!

Dan, what are you going to do to cope with the extra lift at TDC? Enlarge the piston cutouts?

Josh

taylorspug

I will have to if I want to use them yes, either that or go the forged piston route, but im not too keen on that yet as theres actually nothing wrong with my engine to make me want to rebuild it.

Im talking to Newmans at the moment about getting some 'PH3' spec cams done or something similar. They say they can do it, but obviously price is a factor.

Super Josh
Im talking to Newmans at the moment about getting some 'PH3' spec cams done or something similar. They say they can do it, but obviously price is a factor.

So don't they normally do the PH3 fring in RS form then?

Josh

taylorspug

No they dont list it, but say they can do a grind if need be, which confuses me as to why they dont just put one in the range? They also talk about mixing and matching cams, same as you can do with Catcams etc.

James_R

sounds like you need a Mi bottom end for your RS head Dan, then you have massive valave cut outs as std and save some lard :)

Cameron

Hmm, Newman Ph4 could be very tempting! :)

Cameron

Been busy again today, after having a lazy weekend.

Started off by making a few blanking plates for all the unnecessary holes in the firewall, then removed the lip on the firewall / exhaust tunnel to get some clearance for the exhaust.

IMG_0432.jpg

That left a big hole along the seam, so I made a little plate to cover it and welded it in place. Gave me a chance to test out the pulse setting on my welder, which helps when welding up tin foil. :wacko:

IMG_0436.jpg

Then gave the inside a coat of black paint.

IMG_0435.jpg

And the same for the outside.

Then I put the ARB back on the subframe and bolted it in place.

IMG_0431.jpg

Then the steering rack.

IMG_0433.jpg

And then put the pedals, gear rods & stick, brake servo and the header tank back in place.

IMG_0434.jpg

So I should be picking up the few bits and bobs I need for the engine & gearbox this week, then I can put those back together and get them back in the car. I need to replace the top mount bearings so I think I'll be fitting some eccentric top mounts as it works out only a few £ more expensive. I'm hoping to get the car back on it's wheels in the next 2 weeks. :)

Cameron

Newman PH4s on order. :)

taylorspug
Newman PH4s on order. :D

Did you get any details out of Newmans about the PH4s, lift at TDC, need for uprated springs and followers etc? Only ask as they never mailed me back even after speaking to them on the phone. :)

Feel free to PM to save spamming the thread. :D