• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

[misc_work] Carbon 205, Slas Replacement.....

maxi

frontad3.th.jpg

rear2vg8.th.jpg

rearqtrlz9.th.jpg

sideshotdriversod8.th.jpg

sideshotfh4.th.jpg

A few pics of the car. Body wise its now finished. I just need a rear 306ARB and im away. Although, im not to bothered about driving it in this s*itty cold salted up weather.

To answer your question Henry, yes, thats its exactly how I did it. Problem i, I did it when the beam was half assembled and cut it a fraction too short.

Maxi

maxi

day2me6.th.jpg

day3cg8.th.jpg

day4dl1.th.jpg

day15db9.th.jpg

Just a few to wet your appetites......

All done and pretty much ready to drive. Couple of checks and then I suppose I better run it round the block.

Maxi

kjd4000

That is looking sweet mate! Fair play.

easypug

That is lovely... Good work!

Anthony

Stunning Adam.

Clearly ALOT of time, effort and money has gone into that, and hopefully it'll all be worth it when you drive it in anger. On the subject of money, having just totted up in my head roughly what that must have cost you to build (including the engine etc from SLA), please say you have got that insured on an agreed value policy, haven't you? A total loss doesn't bare thinking about if you haven't...

The only tiny critisism that I'd make (and I really am nit-picking here) is that I think the single wiper would look better parked near the bottom of the passenger side of the screen rather than vertically in the middle of the screen, but that really is it and the rest looks outstanding - but clearly if you like the wiper where it is then that's all that matters

Good luck with the maiden drive - you've put the effort in, so time to enjoy the fruit of your labour and reacquaint the locals with the sound of induction hammer :P

pj838

Looks mint. :) Any plans to get this magazine featured?

Tom Fenton

Looks really well, I'm also not a fan of the wiper up the screen but otherwise looks fab.

DrSarty
Good luck with the maiden drive - you've put the effort in, so time to enjoy the fruit of your labour and reacquaint the locals with the sound of induction hammer B)

Ditto :) !

Rich

maxi

day1lj5.th.jpg

day10gg8.th.jpg

day12mw5.th.jpg (Some random bloke walking past on this one!)

day13yy5.th.jpg

day14at1.th.jpg

day5mg1.th.jpg

Maxi

edbar

Looks amazing, The stance is so wide! Edd

maxi

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it! To be honest im nervous as hell about driving it, not that I dont have faith in the car its the fact im now skint and if it goes wrong theres no way I could keep it on the road.

As for the single wiper, the only reason I originally put it on the SLA was for aerodynamics and the same on this one. At speed I found the wipers would start to lift off the screen and were completely useless. I changed to one and parked it dead up the middle of the screen so the wind dosent affect it. This is how the touring car boys used to have them parked and think it was like that for a good reason, otherwise, to be honest, I cant see any point in having a single wiper.

Im not very happy with these poxy Gaz coilovers to say the least. I thought the adjusters poked up a bit far but even with my bonnet on the latch its put a MASSIVE upward dent in it and f***ed it. I will eventually have the bonnet repaired but it will have to stay like it for the moment as I just cant afford to do anything else. To solve the problem Im going to have to attempt to grind the adjuster down, what an absolute SH IT design.

Second thing im not too happy with are these 888's. I just think they look enormous and spoil the car asthetically. Does anyone know if the yokohama A048's are less bulky? I do stress that the 888's work very well in what they are intended to do, I just think they look obscene.

Maxi

Alastairh

Looks great.

The rear beam looks spot on with the 306/309 combo :)

Al

welshpug

AO48's are much the same profile Maxi, they rub the arch trims on a standard 1.9 let alone one with 309 arms and 306 hubs :)

I love the colour, cool addition of the later pug side repeaters.

crap about them adjusters, just thinking what could have caused that, maybe they are intended for alloy top mounts?

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton

I've got the Gaz coilovers and ther adjusters don't come anywhere near the bonnet. Strange.

maxi
AO48's are much the same profile Maxi, they rub the arch trims on a standard 1.9 let alone one with 309 arms and 306 hubs :)

I love the colour, cool addition of the later pug side repeaters.

crap about them adjusters, just thinking what could have caused that, maybe they are intended for alloy top mounts?

I need to compare the a048's to the 888's really and see if their is any difference. Good mate of mine has had a lot of dealings with the yokos and hasnt ever noticed them being this "bulky".

Tom- strange with the adjusters...... Are you running their eccentric top mounts? Im still on the std top mounts as I couldnt afford the eccentric items, maybe that is whats doing it.

Maxi

welshpug

I'll try and find a picture of the ones on a Rally car I service :)

Rom

Maxi have you got the gold coilovers or the cheaper ones ? Im on the cheaper ones, with BBM top mounts and get no problems with adjusters either.

Does seem odd, how some are fine and others have issues.

Car is looking amazing mate.

jimistdt

Great work, Maxi, looks an absolute peach B)

IMO the tyres look bigger than they are cos of all the road dust on them, I bet when they're scrubbed they're not as prominent.

Really does look sweet tho :)

j_turnell

Looks great! I like your style, looks mean as f**k

Tom Fenton
Tom- strange with the adjusters...... Are you running their eccentric top mounts? Im still on the std top mounts as I couldnt afford the eccentric items, maybe that is whats doing it.

I'm also on the standard top mount arrangement, with BBM hard donuts.

tombo

one word

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dale205mills

I think its then nice half leather seats that make the car look good :D Keep up the good work maxi and I am looking forward to seeing that car at a meet some time soon

steve@cornwall

Every now and then, when I'm feeling like getting shot of all my 205s and buying something sensible instead, someone puts up a thread or pictures here that get me raring to pick up the spanners and the t-cut. Today It's definitely the pictures of the carbon 205 - everything just looks great. Some non standard mods are just wrong, but this one screams "changed for a very good reason" if you follow? (one of the reasons I'm loving the look of the 888s, too BTW)

oli-pug

Looks amazing mate! Wish mine was as clean as that.

As regards to the r888 dilemma, what do you mean by "bulky"? The profiles do appear larger on them because they're a track tyre and the sidewalls are very square.

With the coilovers, it does sound like you have the wrong kit for standard top mounts.

GLPoomobile

That looks insane from the back! Looks like it's running a lot of toe in :)

I can see what you mean about the tyres, they do look a bit balloon like, but I actually think they look fine. Look on the positive side, at least you won't have to worry about kerbing those lovely polished Speedlines :)

Think I preferred the old colour though :) , although it does look lovely now, and you'd obviously be wanting a change after all these years.