• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

[misc_work] Carbon 205, Slas Replacement.....

Crazy-legs!

Nice one Adam. I cant wait to see/hear her when she's all done!

TT205
To say its cost me a bomb is the understatement of the century but it has quite a legend to match.

OOOOh !

Did make me smile to see this Maxi

Only a couple of years ago you were the one who (loudly!) said words to the effect of - it was pointless showering money on the lowly 205 :)

It can be worth it eh!!

maxi
OOOOh !

Did make me smile to see this Maxi

Only a couple of years ago you were the one who (loudly!) said words to the effect of - it was pointless showering money on the lowly 205 :)

It can be worth it eh!!

Yeah you are right! Although back then I was talking of budgets of around 10k that people were spending, this car has cost me a fraction of that but more than I see as cheap. Also within the last couple of years many parts that would have been avaliable second hand just arent around anymore. The 205 really is a rapidly dying breed, hence the reason I have had to buy clips and mundane parts from the main dealer, totting the bill up. You are right in saying im contradicting myself but I still feel im not exceeding a MASSIVE budget.

Maxi

credowan

Alright mate, top work as usual, colour seems to suit the car very well look forward to the daylight pics

The sla would be proud of his new kid brother R.I.P the sla lol

good luck with the build up and look forward to the progress

Gary

TT205
Yeah you are right! Although back then I was talking of budgets of around 10k that people were spending, this car has cost me a fraction of that but more than I see as cheap. Also within the last couple of years many parts that would have been avaliable second hand just arent around anymore. The 205 really is a rapidly dying breed, hence the reason I have had to buy clips and mundane parts from the main dealer, totting the bill up. You are right in saying im contradicting myself but I still feel im not exceeding a MASSIVE budget.

Maxi

And you are doing it yourself ....

Nice job mate

timmsy19

Nice job Maxi

love that colour. as said above it does really suit the shape of the car.

keep up the good work

Looks like the Sussex boys have a monopoly on shiney 205s. B):D

not quite yet. :blink:

maxi

Been doing as much to this in the spare time I have. Loom is in, Just need to finish making various bracketts to mount rad etc. Got the new slam panel from pug ready to be modded with the oil cooler mounts. I think I might make some air ducting this time too, one to run over the rad and under the bodies and another directing more air to the oil cooler. I will get some more pics once there is more to see. Im hoping to have it on the road for Christmas day as myself and a few mates are planning an xmas day blat in the afternoon.

Maxi

maxi

Havent updated for a while so here goes.....

Im really pushed for time at the moment as im trying to finish an extension (first phase of a big job) for christmas for a customer, so time on the pug has been tight. Managed to get the new TD rad ordered during the week from a local factor which came in the next day. A word of warning to people, these are starting to become difficult to get hold of at sensible money now, ECP dont even stock them anymore.

So early yesterday morning I went down to where the remains of the sla is and grabbed the last few bits and bobs I needed. Hydraquip fuel union went on with the last fuel line and I routed the accelerator cable, which is now connected up to the bodies and set so I get full throttle.

A lot of yesterday was spent fannying around with fitting the TD rad. I make mounting bracketts so as to lower the rad as far as is practically possible to allow the filter of the bodies to get a direct supply of air. The bracketts I made up also had rubber mounting points for the bottom pegs of the rad as I feel it should almost be floating whilst at the same time being sturdy. The biggest problem I faced is clearence on the GTi6 sump and alternator. For the rad to physically fit between the headlamp panels I found the bottom needs to be tilted in ever so slightly and this in turn causes the clearence problem. As luck would have it the alternator was no problem on this occasion and as for the sump, the Makita JR3050T (sabre saw) made mince meat of that with a long series wood and metal bit.

With the bottom of the rad in place I set about modifying the fan cowling, once again 10 mins with the sabre and she fitted like a glove. As for retaining the rop of the rad and now mutilated fan cowling I have made a cross bar out of some wall plate straps I had lying about, that bolts between the two headlamp panels. This is so sturdy I also decided to fabricate the mounts for the oil cooler from it. So, to cut a long story short there has been a hell of a lot of welding and grinding going on. Im just going to finish this cup of tea and then head out there again, pics to follow this evening.

Maxi

maxi

Few pics before I start:

p1010065xx3.th.jpg

^Brackett I made to mount oil cooler and retain top of rad^

p1010069cn6.th.jpg

^Rad mounted in position^

p1010070tr4.th.jpg

^Bracketts to hold rad viewed from underneath. Note the rubber mounts inset into welded cups. I also left the tails of the bracketts long to allow the light loom that crosses from the N/S to O/S to be clipped securely here as it has to be moved for the rad to fit.

Maxi

DrSarty

Great stuff Ad; keep it going. A xmas day blat is a wondrous joy.

danpug

Can't wait to see that colour in sunlight, when we get some!

Alastairh

Looking good.

Fair play to you for keeping up with the work in this heat.

Al

pete1986

Looking good Adam, that colour looks awesome! I cant wait to see it roaming the streets.

Guest sam-black

Liking the progress work so far, keep it up, i'm sure it will be well worth it at the end! :)

Can't believe the SLA is not more! never got a chance to see it in person, only briefly in brighton once when it shot past me.

Look forward to seeing how it all goes and good luck with it.

Hopefully we can arrange a south/sussex meet sometime maybe :) ??

Sam.

maxi
Liking the progress work so far, keep it up, i'm sure it will be well worth it at the end! :)

Can't believe the SLA is not more! never got a chance to see it in person, only briefly in brighton once when it shot past me.

Look forward to seeing how it all goes and good luck with it.

Hopefully we can arrange a south/sussex meet sometime maybe :) ??

Sam.

Yeah its a shame, the SLA really was a local legend around the area.

As for local meets, we often have a south meet in Guildford and im normally in Brighton most Thursday eves for a little local gathering.

Maxi

maxi

Few pics, car is super dusty but nearly there now.....

p1010091ly2.th.jpg

p1010092xn7.th.jpg

Track width with 306 hubs and 309 lower arms.......

p1010093ld5.th.jpg

p1010099jf4.th.jpg

Headlights need adjusting on their mounts but its all comming together nicely....

Maxi

credowan

Alright mate hows tricks

You manage to get it road worthy for your christmas blat

keep up the great work

Gary

maxi

Didnt get it done in time for xmas day unfortunately, but a few hours tomorrow should have it completely wrapped up! Just the air filter to fit (when it eventually turns up) and shes finished. All the rear suspension is on and lowered, the camber with the 306 rear arms looks the bollocks.

I spent this afternoon fitting the interior in, tomorrow will be all fluids and bleed brakes. Then the last checkover before I fire up my 231BHP engine for the first time since late July/early August, when it killed Bamby. Im getting more and more nervous as the time goes by if im honest, everytime I get my 205 out something major goes wrong and it ends up being off the road again. Hopefully new shell, new luck.

Boxing day I did wheel the car outside and wash it off and on the following day apply four layers of wax. When I get a moment I will upload some more pics.

Maxi

j_turnell

Good work Adam, look forward to seeing the finished article! :)

maxi

Got it running today at long last. Went after a dodgy earth lead was making it do odd things.....

Anyway, as per usual, my bad luck continues. First of all bleeding the brakes it appears the pipe that runs over the tank has s*it itself and started leaking like a sive. Secondly I have no f***ing clutch. When I hit the deer it badly damadged the starter motor and I have the sneeking suspicion it took the clutch out with it. f***ing gutted.

Maxi

tom_m
When I hit the deer it badly damadged the starter motor and I have the sneeking suspicion it took the clutch out with it. f***ing gutted.

Maxi

you've not split the box from the engine since the accident? hopefully its just knocked the release bearing off the clutch arm and not done much else.

taylorspug

The whole clutch turned out to be mullered! Maxi is a little unsure if it was the deer, or by weird coincidence the clutch decided that moment to give up, as the whole of one side of the friction plate had dissappeared.

Anyway its fixed now and the car has (very slowly) moved under its own steam for the first time. Still sounds savage too...!

maxi

Yeah it really was a weered one..... I stripped the box off and found one half of the friction plate had disintegrated. The rivets were still there, and the side closest to the engine was in VGC, really odd :rolleyes: Anyway, a new valeo clutch and 2 hrs on the floor in my garage had it back together and driving again. Not bad in the cold on my own I must say.

The next day I had the escapade of bleeding the brakes. I had recruited Jay (my mate who painted the car) to pump the pedal as I slid about under the car cracking off the nipples one by one. Dan was there in attendance too along with a few other mates (was a right little do, all we needed was Dr Sarty to appear!). Anyway, after an hour of bleeding I couldnt get any fluid out of the N/S front nipple. After attempting every technique, including leaving the nipple open overnight to gravity bleed it there was still no sign of fluid...... Getting more and more dispondant a mate at the local tyre place suggested there might be crap in the caliper itself, and to remove the nipple and gently insert a needle to clear any blockages. This eve I tried this and low and behold my hand instantly got covered in fluid! I recruited my dad to pump the pedal for me and I now have a perfectly functioning braking system.

Now to get my new 306 ARB in there after f***ing up the first one (shortened it too much rushing :wacko:), track it up and drive it!

Maxi

Alastairh

PICTURES!!!!!

Henry 1.9GTi

maxi how do you mod the 306 arb?

cut to length and weld one end with a 306 end plate on the other side? Or do you get it re-splined?#

Cheers.

Henry.