• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

[misc_work] Carbon 205, Slas Replacement.....

maxi

Right, as some of you may well know I got the sla back on the road after 18months earlier this year. It had my new 2.3 GTi6 engine and with an expected BHP of around 260, I was a happy chappy. 1100 trouble free miles later and the car had been mapped, it made 231BHP, down on expectations but I think im on the case of finding the lost ponies. Anyway, fate then took its turn in the cars life and decided it would lead a deer out in front of me at point blank range at quite a pace, needless to say it made quite a mess of my beloved 205.

To be honest, I was gutted but thankful that both my girlfriend and myself were still alive. If I had been given time to react or had taken the deers legs out from under it im pretty sure I might not be here to tell the tale now.

So, at this point, a new chapter begins. Not wanting to waste my engine (even though various parts were mullered- filter, trumpets, rad, alternator, starter motor which divided from its casing that bolts to the bell housing) and management I set about searching for a new shell. The order of the day was as late as possible without a CAT. After trawling piston heads, this forum, ebay, etc etc I eventually stubled across a K plate 1600 205 GTi, with low mileage and in extremely good condition. A deal was struck and I was landed with possibly the slowest 8v on the planet!

After a couple of weeks of decision making the car was stripped and sent to a good mate of mine to be painted. I have had the car back in my posession for about a month now and have slowly been putting it back together (whilst spending a fortune at the pug main dealer on clips, trim, etc). Yesterday I managed to prise my engine free of the sla's badly damaged carcas. So, safely back at home, I very gently lowered the lump into the bay with the assistance of Jay (painter), my bruv and my dad taking every precaution not to scratch the freshly painted bay. Now ahead of me is all the hard work to get everything in and routed nicely, get the last bits of trim on and get the interior in. Pics and spec to follow in a min..... Watch this space.

Maxi

travill

oooooo i'm excited want pics!

maxi

p1010021ko7.th.jpgthpix.gif

p1010023nq9.th.jpgthpix.gif

p1010026li8.th.jpgthpix.gif

p1010027hh2.th.jpgthpix.gif

If you look closely at the last pic you can see the damaged trumpets from the impact with the deer.....

Maxi

maxi

Spec is:

-K plate 205GTi non CAT

-Fully resprayed in BMW Carbon Black with all trim detextured and colour coded.

-Green and black check seats, black carpet, BX clocks, late Green black check door cards, upgraded to electric windows (poverty spec 1600)

-Full Clifford security

-My 2.3 GTi6 engine, which should make closer to the expected 260bhp this time

-Mi BE3 gearbox

-306 gti6 shafts shortened to fit

-306GTi6 front hubs

-309 GTi lower arms

-306 GTi6 front brakes with appropriate 406 MC

-Gaz GHA coilovers with matching rears

-2.5" home made S/S exhaust system

-Rebuilt 309 rear beam with 306 GTi6 trailing arms, peugeot partner van torsion bars and GTi6 rear ARB.

-Diamond cut speedlines wrapped in Toyo R888's

Loads more but this is all I can think of. To say its cost me a bomb is the understatement of the century but it has quite a legend to match.

Maxi

dale205mills

That looks the nuts mate, I am looking forward to seeing that.

Keep up the good work!

Dale

travill

stunning

richsmells

That's a lush colour on a 205. Almost "sorrento blue" :) Subtle but unique, a good choice following your colours thread.

Baz

That's a lovely colour, really does look the t!ts!

maxi

Cheers Guys! My mate Jay who painted it actually described it as Sorrento Blue on the phone to me.... I cant wait to get all the suspension on it now, I always think 205 rear beams look so girly!

Maxi

maxi
Toight, yish, noish Adam.

x

Rich :)

Eh? Rich, have you been on the panda pops again?

Maxi

DrSarty
have you been on the panda pops again?

I'm not allowed them.

:)

Coming to the Hatfield curry next Friday night?

taylorspug

Slid round Adams the other day to have a look at this, it looks really superb, im eagerly awaiting seeing the colour out in the daylight. Luckily for him i had a detextured set of plastics in stock which i was umming and arring over for my car, but decided in the end to keep mine std and donate them to him which saved Jay a nasty time consuming job. So many new bits going on this car, it should truly drive like new once its done. I know that feeling well and its lovely! Hes cracking on well getting it back together, give it a couple of weeks and it will all be together, ready for Ads to go and muller the gearbox...! :)

Looks like the Sussex boys have a monopoly on shiney 205s. B):(

pug_ham

Looking good Adam, can't wait to see the finished project in daylight.

Colour certain looks interesting now & the spec should mean its got (more then) the power to go with the looks. :)

Is it going to inherit the SLA number plate or stay on the original K plate for the car?

Graham.

Alastairh

Looks stunning. Certinly a car worthy for those door cards :)

Whens the next South meet?

Edited by Alastairh

ANDYGON

looks nice matey, will have to arrange another south meet.

GLPoomobile

Bit hard to tell from the indoor pics, but initially looks good, and you obviously have an eye for detail so should be a right belter when it's all done :P . I'd forgotten you'd decided on Carbon Black, so when I saw the topic title I thought for a moment that you were building a carbon fibre shell ^_^

So many new bits going on this car, it should truly drive like new once its done.

Albeit with about twice the power output to when it was new :P:P

Edited by GLPoomobile

maxi

Cheers for the comments guys! The car will be staying on the K registration and I will let the SLA plate go with its original holder......

As dan mentioned, the colour is COMPLETELY different in the daylight. When its inside the garage it just looks jet black.

Maxi

cybernck

it's so blue that i thought it was actually the SLA and wondering "where the heck is all the damage? ^_^" :P.

maxi

I actually feel slightly honered to be in the works section! I will keep the topic updated with more pics...... Im currently waiting for Dans dad to whizz a bit of colour over my battery tray as I forgot to give it to Jay when it was being painted. Once that is in I shall put more detailed pics of the bay in. Im also routing the management loom and the new sensor loom I made through the nearside of the bulkhead to give the illusion of less wiring in the bay.

I also plan to jump to a larger size of throttle bodies after it was pointed out to me that 45's might potentially be strangling the large cc revving machine.

Maxi

Alastairh

Sounds good.

What did you decide to do exhaust manifold wise?

Al

cybernck
I actually feel slightly honered to be in the works section!

well that's where you should have put it in the first place ^_^.

i'll have to find other related topics and merge it with this one.

Paintguy

Very nice <_<

I said that colour might suit the curvy nature of the 205, and it looks like I was right. Get some bright sunlight pictures up as soon as you're able and you'll really get everyone's jaws dropping!

As for the rest of the spec, I can only dream....

maxi
Sounds good.

What did you decide to do exhaust manifold wise?

Al

Maniflow seem to be the guys to go to but it will cost me an arm and a leg for the manifold so it looks like im going to have to stick with what I have got for the time being. My trade is being hit hard by the recession and I have to stop spending money as next year is going to be a nightmare work wise..... Luckily I have massed most of the parts I need over a period of time (some of them I had originally got for the sla while it was off the road) so the cost of building it has been manageable. I do feel I will benefit from larger bodies and a longer trumpet choice. Once they are bought with a new air filter I will completely halt the outlay and just enjoy the car as it stands.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

Sam

Perfect opportunity to get a set of nice long trumpets on there! Looking good.