• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

[engine_work] Time For Another Supercharged Gti6 205

DrSarty

Very rough effort. (And a guess at how dark anthracite grey is :wub: ).

dsc00742uhl.jpg

tidypug

That helps, Think I'll try and do them in the same grey i used for the gti wheels, I think it was an alfa 156 grey.

billybluesky
Update

The cooling issue has been resolved:) I've fitted an 8" kenlowe fan to back up the original 11" one and connected them to a kenlowe fan controller, it allows me to run both fans off it, is fully automatic with an adjustable control and also has the ability to fit an switch to manually over ride the controller.

Did you ever consider using a turbo diesel rad? they have an extra core making them a little thicker but giving more cooling you just need the bottom hose to suit

tidypug

Thanks for the idea, if I start to get cooling issues later on I'll definately consider it.

I went back to Dyno-tech in Ripley today for another power run to see if i'd managed to find some of my missing nags, as the last time i went was with the PSOOC shoot out a few months ago. My car made a pretty crap 212bhp, which is some way short of the 250/ 260 it should of made. I got in touch with Rich Walker (the guy who designed the charger kit) and told him of my situation, thankfully he was very helpful and vowed to get the power out of the kit that I should have. Being the good guy he is, Rich sent me a revised ECU that has been remapped raising the rev limiter and making the engine pull stronger to the rev limiter, he also sent me a slighlty bigger boost ring. Just fitting these 2 bits made a big difference but wasn't sure how much of difference it had made. The first run went straight onto 223 bhp with a nicer power curve, the road operator ran a few more times but power kept dropping off bit by bit. This was down to the inlet temperature going up through the roof. All the runs has been done with the bonnet down so for the last run the bonnet was left up this made a big difference and went upto 241.7 bhp. I'm still down on power but at least I'm heading in the right direction.

My next step is to get a cold air feed into the inlet and get more air to the intercooler so it looks like I'm going to be cutting some of the bumper out and moving the reg plate, I don't really want to but needs must. I'll scan my rr print out when i can get on a computer with a scanner

tidypug

Here's todays rolling road result. The red line is todays run and the blue line if the first time I went.

img064.jpg

img065.jpg

Edited by tidypug

M@tt

nice one jamie!! certainly looks a little healthier now :)

taylorspug

Blimey that ECU and boost ring has made all the difference!

tidypug

When I had the first runI only made an extra 10 bhp, the extra 20 bhp came from having cold air fed to the air filter as with the bonnet down the inlet temp peaked at 65 deg! Just goes to show you how important a cold air feed really is.

oli-pug

Not thought about using an airbox?

Edited by oli-pug

tidypug

I'm in the process of getting a carbon air box from ebay but am a little tight for money at the minute so am having to wait for the right one to come up

wildejon

Any more updates on your air feed?

I'm thinking of embarking on a supercharger journey soon, this thread is going to be really useful!

tidypug

lol, thought he was pointing at that :)

I've sorted the air feed, I got a carbon filter from egay a few months ago. I'll take a pic when I get chance

tidypug

I've finally got around to painting my wheels as white never really suited my car.

So here's how my wheels started

IMG_0029.jpg

then with a new coat of paint

IMG_0034.jpg

much better already

IMG_0036.jpg

Now the only thing I've got to decide is whether I try to make them like a set of goodwoods and paint a silver lip on them. What are peoples opinions? The paints got to dry overnight so will be either painting the silver tomorrow or just laquering them.

madspikes

I like them as is. What colour did you use?

tidypug

Its a ford colour, I'll check the colour for you tomorrow <_<.

I've decided to leave the wheels as it is.

tidypug

The colour is Ford Graphite grey so quite easy to get hold of.

The wheels are now finished and fitted and look loads better even id I do say so my self.

P4180151.jpg

One of the finishing touches to the wheels was to paint and fit the centre caps.

P4180153.jpg

I know the wheel bolts are a bit tatty so will get some shiny ones at some point.

As you will have seen, I was having a problem with a very high inlet charge temp due to the air filter being fed hot air from the rad. To lower the temp I got hold of a carbon canister air filter from ebay. I've fitted it but haven't really noticed any difference.

IMG_0048.jpg

I've been back to the rolling road to see If it had made any difference. The answer - not really. Its still down on power but the main thing is the air filter isn't holding the engine back. Next thing I'm going to when I get around to it is pull it apart again to see if I can spot anything.

Baz

Nom nom nom...

Very nice, i need an Auto bonnet for my Miami! :)

madspikes

Very nice, thanks for tip on the colour!

Mad.

Tom Fenton

I recognise that layby!

Wheels look good.

tidypug

I took the dog for a walk so thought I'd take a pic, nice view though don't you think.

tidypug

Well it looks like the honeymoon is over. While taking the car out for a drive the top end started to tap. She starts and runs fine with the tap going away slightly when driven steadily. The oil pressure is at the top of the gauge when cold, dropping to between the 1st and 2nd bar when warm (at idle).

I've pulled the spark plugs out, they are all black with soot which shows somethings not right.

When I've got the motivation and time i'm going to pull the timing cover off just to make sure nothings moved. After that I'm going to change the oil as its been in for about 9 months now so needs doing. Is there any chance that a valve can bend without the belt being out by a tooth, or could it be possible the engine is running so rich that the oil is being thinned out by the excess petrol being put in.

Any ideas would be greatly received, hopefully I won't need to take the head off.

Toddy
Well it looks like the honeymoon is over. While taking the car out for a drive the top end started to tap. She starts and runs fine with the tap going away slightly when driven steadily. The oil pressure is at the top of the gauge when cold, dropping to between the 1st and 2nd bar when warm (at idle).

I've pulled the spark plugs out, they are all black with soot which shows somethings not right.

When I've got the motivation and time i'm going to pull the timing cover off just to make sure nothings moved. After that I'm going to change the oil as its been in for about 9 months now so needs doing. Is there any chance that a valve can bend without the belt being out by a tooth, or could it be possible the engine is running so rich that the oil is being thinned out by the excess petrol being put in.

Any ideas would be greatly received, hopefully I won't need to take the head off.

Have you checked that the oil level is at the maximum?, next I would replace the oil.

If it had jumped a tooth on either inlet or exhaust you would notice a difference in power, is this the case?.

Check that the cam pulley tabs are still centrally located and that the bolt(s) has not come undone.

Good luck

Tom Fenton

You could also try a compression test, this will show up bent valves.