• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

[engine_work] Time For Another Supercharged Gti6 205

tidypug

I've been meaning to put a thread up for a while but just haven't got around to it till now, so here goes.

The story so far....

I bought my 205 as a standard 1.6 with one lady owner from new, I intended to keep it totally original and just mint it up. That idea quickly went out of the window so instead decided to put a 1.9 Mi in it as you do, so I ended up with it like this.

DSC00075.jpg

I had this engine in for a few years and was happy with it, it didn't miss a beat in the whole time i had it. I hadn't even thought about swapping engines until i saw the supercharged 306 on the 306 gti6 forum, from that point i thought to myself " i want some of that". So from there i got myself a low mileage gti6 motor and put that in my 205. So this is how it was a month or so ago.

DSC00494.jpg

During the swap of engines i was amassing all the bits i needed to get on with fitting the supercharger kit

these were:-

The charger and kit

DSC00514.jpg

I also got a forge intercooler ( the same one that Garry used i think)

A mocal engine oil cooler set so i could ditch the pants OE item,

Some black silicone tubing and clips,

And a Kenlowe high performance fan.

With pretty much everything I needed for the installation I could get on with it. I started by stripping the front end down and taking everything off that wasn't needed. With that done the kit was fitted, after the first day everything that i could fit was fitted.

DSC00574.jpg

From then on it was a case of trying to fit the supercharger oil cooler, engine oil cooler and the intercooler behind the bumper without having to cut much out as i want to keep the car nice and stealthy. Tbh I have found this part of the installation the most time consuming as i've had to make up all the brackets to mount everything, here's what i've come up with

DSC00605.jpg

and with them on the car

DSC00607.jpg

and now with all the rads attached

DSC00608.jpg

I even managed to get them to fit behind the bumper without much trimming at all

DSC00602.jpg

The fan will be mounted on the back of the rad as a sucker.

So thats as far i have got, the car is booked in a week this friday to have the boost piping fabricated, so after that i can hopefully have it running.

pip470

Great stuff, these supercharged 205 really do seem to be the ultimate. I love them. They are what dreams are made for. (for me, not you of course as you have one lol)

bill

wow! what sort of power do these push out?

SurGie

WOW, thats the best tidiest one iv seen in a 205, i can bearly tell it's a supercharged car, would be even less visable

if you sprayed the coolers etc in black ! :)

24seven

good stuff! take it you went for the low boost 250 bhp setup then?

Baz

Very nice, indeed tidy!

What's the 2 oil coolers for?

Garry

Looks really good.

Well done for getting the intercooler behind the bumper!

Baz, one cooler for the engine, one for the charger. :)

tidypug

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :).

24seven, yes I've gone for the 250 bhp one, i think the full boost kit would be a bit silly for the roads :P

Baz, as Garry said ones for the engine and the other is for the charger.

Would it be worth cutting some holes in the bumper to get a bit more air to the intercooler?

Edited by tidypug

Henry Yorke
Would it be worth cutting some holes in the bumper to get a bit more air to the intercooler?

I would leave it standard intitally and see if you are struggling with charge temps etc. You could get more air flow by filling in the side bits and channeling the air more through the cooler.

So will it be ready for this months Yorks meet? I went in AllanAllen's supercharged 6 at the Derbyshire meet and that was quick and howled like a banshee!

tom_m

i'm going to say yes, but you may find the spoiler at the bottom of the valence that is designed to channel air onto the radiator provides enough cool air with the IC there for it not to be a problem.

like henry says, suck it and see :P

Gtiracer

Does the bonnet shut alright? i cant remember who it was but someone had a problem because the kit was for a 306 and the inlet sat too high

M@tt

the inital inlet plenums were too long and did foul but then rich redesigned them for 205's to fit so you didn't have the bonnet clearance issue

tidypug

yup like M@tt says, its a good thing that RichW (the guy who designed the kit) is a top bloke as he sorted them out for no extra charge :lol:

rich_gti6

Awesome stuff; looks like a nice neat installation with regards to the FMIC and various oil coolers you've had to mount...

I take it you're happy with the fitment of the kit etc, and it all bolted together nicely?

Rich

:)

Baz
Looks really good.

Well done for getting the intercooler behind the bumper!

Baz, one cooler for the engine, one for the charger. :)

Ahh reet! :):P

skeggyrik

would it be rude to ask about total cost? :)

Nice work by the way.

Garry

Thousands!

tidypug

like Garry says, thousands.

Tbh i've stopped counting

Guest ben-1888

id be very VERY interested in trying something like this!! anyone have a near totall figure for engine and supercharger and fitting kits etc...

if price is right then seems like a very good choice of engine! can the 205 handle 250 bhp ok??

Garry

Mine has cost well over £6K.

Don't underestimate the cost all of the bits and pieces you will need to change whilst you are working on the car.

The 205 handles the power fine, mainly down to the linear power delivery.

tidypug

Time for a bit of an update.

A week last thursday i took the car to have the induction pipes made up. I'm very happy with the work that he's done, the lads only young but boy can he weld well. Here's a pick of one of the pipes, this one goes from the outlet of the charger to the ic.

DSC00614.jpg

and how tight it is for space in the engine bay

DSC00610.jpg

With the boost piping complete it was just left to me to refit everything and have the throttle body pressed onto the charger inlet. This is were i hit a small snag, the fit was too loose so i had have the 2 pieces welded together. Normally this isn't a problem but trying to get a firm to do a rush job on a friday afternoon is a no no, so i was stuck until monday when the company could do the job for me.

With the throttle body back it really was a case of finishing it off, so on wednesday the time came to start her up for the first time. With the battery back on i turned on the ignition to hear the fuel system prime, good, turn the key and she starts first time, YES i think so i run around checking oil levels etc then notice a ever increasing puddle of something gathering from underneath, bugger! The leak turned out to be the high pressure PAS pipe that i had to chop and link with some supplied tube had not sealed with the compression fitting, after an hour or 2 messing with it it was fixed. Now it was time for a test drive, this is how i took the car for it, shame i can't drive it like that all the time.

DSC00618.jpg

The drive went ok but noticed the steering was getting really heavy and the grip was becoming less and less, so i have a look underneath when i get back . I'm greeted with one very greasy tyre and inner wing, the low pressure pipe that goes into the pump came out spraying everything with nice slippy oil. With that fixed, although only temporarily everything is running fine. Now i moved onto getting the bumper and grill back on.

DSC00619.jpg

When it came to fitting the grill i noticed that it would be very unstable and start to flap around as the mounting lugs are in the original fan cowling, to fix this i cut the required bits out of the cowling and fitting then to were they would be normally, the pic didn't come out too well but i hope you know what i mean.

DSC00621.jpg

You can just about see the support in this pic behind the bumper.

DSC00623.jpg

So with that done i just need to iron out a few issues, the main one that i have used a silicone reducer pipe, when the car is idling this pipe just about fully colapses making the idle a bit ropy, i'll get in touch with my fabricator again and see what we can come up with.

M@tt

looking good jamie!!

what ecu you running/going to be running on it?

tidypug

Hi mate, its running a chipped ecu, i think, well i sent the original off to Rich and he sent it back with a different map on it.

welshpug

very nice, great to see how much can be shoehorned in a 205 :lol: i'd be spraying those coolers matt or satin black though ;) for a bit of :ph34r: action :P

Chaff

I would have thought a 205 wouldn't have the weight to put 250bhp on the road?