• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

[engine_work] Time For Another Supercharged Gti6 205

tidypug

sh@t hot at the mo mate, i just need to find out why the battery will drain in a day or 2 as its quite annoying.

Any ideas?

I'll pop up over the weekend if i get chance :mellow:

Edited by tidypug

Garry

Funnily enough mine does that, although from memeory it always has! Got to sort out the electrics over christmas.

Have you found you get alot of debris from the drive belt? The inside if the wing gets covered in a very fine belt dust, which I think is due to belt slip. But as there is an auto tensioner there I don't see there is a lot I can do......

tidypug

I have noticed that Garry, I think having the inner arch liner would help this a bit as i noticed that it got dirty around the inner wing after i took mine off and that was before i put the sc on.

Its going to be my weekend mission to try to find the drain. I seem to remember having the same issue when i had the Mi in, so it could be something inside. I'll let you know how i get on.

Hows yours running now Garry?

Edited by tidypug

tracktoy

cool project- the car must be a complete animal on the road :)

regarding the length of the boost pipes- it shouldnt be a problem on you car as a super charger has very little lag in the first place- the problem with increased lag only becomes noticable in the real world on cars fitted with big turbos running high bost :blush:

eu_andreiutz

Very nice engine, and car also..."must be a complete animal on the road" like tracktoy said.

What kind of compressor is it?

How much did it cost?

Will it fit a 1.9 16V?

tidypug

Time for an update. :D

I've had the car running for about a month now and so far so good. There's no sign of headgasket failure yet but only time will tell on that front. I have found that the car is still just as usable day to day as before it can just put a huge grin on your face when the weathers right. I've also given a few people in much more expensive machinery than mine a bit of a surpise :).

I used the good weather to give her a good clean so decided to take some piccies.

004.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

The next thing to do is put some 4pots on, which i'll do in a month or two.

tidypug

I've had the exhaust sorted now, i went to exhausts uk in Sheffield. I didn't really want to use them as i think they still have a bit pf a chavy image but decided to go down and let them have a look and to talk about my options. They said that a 2.5" system was the way to go and a nice 3" outward rolled tail pipe would look the best. I also said that i would be taking it on track so needed it to be fairly quiet. I dropped the car of the next day and left it with them, i picked the car up later that day and can happily say that i am very happy with the result.

DSC00651.jpg

Its a full system from the manifold back. The bit that did surprise me was that they ran the back box under the boot floor were the spare tyre would normaly go, its a good thing that i've not run a spare for years.

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

tom_m

i guess they figured it was the only way to get a large enough box under there to keep it quiet.

tidypug

yes i agree with you. They said they were surprised on how difficult it was to keep the noise down. When i dropped it off they said "if we can keep scoobys quiet i don't think yours will be a problem", made me chuckle.

tom_m

forced induction = lots of db, and unlike a scoob there is no turbo in the path of the exhaust gases to take energy out before it hits the exhaust

Daviewonder

Awesome car mate, the sort of thing most of us can only dream of, loving the sleeper look :D I hope you dont mind me asking but what radiator are you using?

tidypug

Hi mate, i'm running a standard radiator but am having a few cooling issues at the min. When driving around the running temp is as it should be but when standing the fan can't quite keep up. I have something in the pipe line to sort this though.

Update.

I've had the car in and out of the garage changing bits as I go. The most recent is the pas pump which was only working intermitently and leaking.

I have a 1.9 gearbox to fit at some point too but will do that after i've put a fresh MOT on it.

A few months ago I fitted a set of Willwoods, I had to use spacers on the wheels clear the brakes which made the front look a bit odd. Since then I bought a set of raceline RL7's. Personally I still prefer the look of the original wheels but now I don't need to use spacers so it looks like they're going to stay.

DSC00719.jpg

This is the best pic I have of it at the min.

As some have said the intercooler is getting near to no air to it as its behind the bumper and as I really don't have the time to re-do the front end I was thinking about moving the reg plate to one side and cutting some of the centre of the bumper out, I'm not sure what this will look like but will help to get air to the intercooler. What's peoples opinion to this?

Tom Fenton

Do you use it on the road much? I'm just suprised I've not seen you around in it, as if the road in that picture is where I think it is, you live about 1/2 a mile from me, and I drive past the end of the road every day on the way to work!

tidypug

Hi Tom, i don't use it as much as i would like tbh, I keep seeing you about. You parked next to me in the halfords car park, you wouldn't have knolwn it was me though as i was in my dads mk2 golf. I'm only renting the house i'm in at the mo but have a house that i've hope fully got my mits on. If you want to meet up, which I would like drop me a pm ;)

Tom Fenton

Since finishing mine I can't keep out of it! So that is probably why you have seen me. I'll PM you, are you coming on the run out on Monday?

The only 205 I really see round here is the Miami blue one with the factory bodykit on that lives on Dovedale Rd, I think he also works down in Whiston village.

Edited by Tom Fenton

tidypug

I'll try to come on the run out monday. Originally I lived down dovedale too, the one with the body kit lives on allendale road, he owns the hair dressers down whiston. I only know this because I bumped into him and got chatting, turns out he's a proper 205 nut.

Daviewonder
As some have said the intercooler is getting near to no air to it as its behind the bumper and as I really don't have the time to re-do the front end I was thinking about moving the reg plate to one side and cutting some of the centre of the bumper out, I'm not sure what this will look like but will help to get air to the intercooler. What's peoples opinion to this?

I personally dont think it will be as good as the 'sleeper' look but as you will be doing it out of necessity rather than on some styling whim and as its such an awesome car i think you should get away with it. ;)

base-1

Looks awesome on the wheels! :blush:

Paint the intercooler black, will help it not stand out

taylorspug

I really dont want to say the wheels and potentially the numberplate/intercooler setup are spoiling the looks of the car, but.....

Definately get the wheels done in a dark colour if nothing else, they stick out like a sore thumb!

Tbh your cooling issues are no different to what i find with alot of standard 6 conversions in 205s- the fan finds it very hard to keep temperatures down without the help of the heater blowers. Are you using a higher pressure expansion cap?

tidypug

Taylorspug:- I am using a high pressure cap yes, I found that with the 205 one it would seep coolant out of the expansion tank most of the time, it got me very worried as i thought the head gasket might be on its way out.

I know what you mean about the wheels I really wanted to keep it looking totally stock but needs must I suppose, I'll try and take a better picture so hopefully someone can do a bit of photo shopping for me.

tidypug

Update

The cooling issue has been resolved:) I've fitted an 8" kenlowe fan to back up the original 11" one and connected them to a kenlowe fan controller, it allows me to run both fans off it, is fully automatic with an adjustable control and also has the ability to fit an switch to manually over ride the controller.

tidypug

I thought the exhaust was getting very loud as of late so took it back to the garage that fitted. Turns out the back box had managed to empty itself so no wonder it was getting louder. The box was replaced FOC so I'm a happy lad.

I also decided to give the old girl a proper clean and wax, its the first time I've done it since I fitted the new wheels, I still prefer the original wheels but they are growing on me. I have been thinking about respraying the wheels a dark anthracite or maybe even like a a goodwood style. Can any one photo shop them for me please ?

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

rapidcossie

looks nice.

paint the wheels black and it would be perfect!

tidypug

thanks bud, I just can't picture what it would look like, just need somebody to do some photoshopping

Sam
Looks awesome on the wheels! :wub:

Paint the intercooler black, will help it not stand out

Does painting it black effect the heat absorbing at all?