• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rippthrough

[misc_work] Still Nothing To Do With 205's...

Rippthrough

Spaghetti junction time this week:

DSC00367.jpg

Rippthrough

Shiny Shiny Shiny Shiny Shiny....

DSC00377.jpg
DSC00378.jpg
DSC00379.jpg

Much more fun than wiring anyway.

• Like 2

Rippthrough

Getting there with the rear arms, Ed finished a jig and tacked up one side just to double check clearances:

RearArms4.jpg

RearArms2.jpg

And new rear discs, same weight as the old ones but 320mm diameter instead of 300mm.

Discs.jpg

Rippthrough

After trying the double diaphragm clutch the other month, and almost getting a hernia, went hunting for a tiny pull-type hydraulic slave cylinder, eventually found one that would fit, so onto the other end:

ClutchPedal.jpg

Yes, strange shaped bulkhead with the fuel tank behind plus a requirement for the fluid reservoir to be behind the bulkhead led to a strangely shaped pedal too. Only a mock up (the ally tube is too soft to support the bearings long term, probably make a sleeved one), but seems to work ok.

And everything fell off the car again so the rear geo. jig could go on to finalise the rear arms:

RearJig.jpg

Rippthrough

Magpie mode engaged:

1464655_10152091601661151_348079774_n.jp

• Like 1

Rippthrough

Oooh, lovely shiny working thing:

FrontAdjuster1.jpg

Ooops, I, err, it wasn't me, a strange bloke broke it and ran off.

FrontAdjuster4.jpg

Then there was an incident involving a pillar drill butchering some finely machined components, a tap, some deburrers and some extra parts. I didn't take a photo of those because of their graphic nature to anyone of a petrolheaded persuasion.

Anyway, it all got back to being shiny after some TLC and some T-cut, and I think all the important bits went back in. I'm sure it'll fine.
That bit that pinged off into the corner didn't look vital.

FrontAdjuster5.jpg

Rippthrough

Look, 1 whole wheel on the floor, we've invented the agricultural unicycle!

RearArmNearly.jpg

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

Well, the new arm revealed one stumbling block after being cycled - the existing rear geometry gave massive toe change with the extra travel we were intent on using, and nothing beneficial either. After hearing Ed swearing about it for a while I had a look and decided to just re-do the mounting points on the car and make another new arm - I've been wanting to alter some of the rear geometery for a while, so there's really no better time than when you're making a new arm.
We've removed a little of the rear camber change, and lifted the outer pivot to help with the toe curve, which now has about half the previous toe change over the travel and what is there is helping rather than hindering now. As a side bonus that brings the anti squat up a little closer to where I'd like it, and lowers the rear roll centre which should help with a little more traction/grip.
Cheap and cheerful jig to swap the pivot location over to the other side of the car, nothing fancy but it works:

1538735_10152006568822935_1775350583_n.j

And on with the new, new arms:

RevisedArms1.jpg

It's actually made the area for transmitting load around the bumpstops and damper mounts much neater so they should end up a little lighter too, added bonus!

RevisedArms3.jpg

RevisedArms2.jpg

Rippthrough

Rear damper mounts ended up a lot neater too:

NewShockMounts2.jpg

NewShockMounts.jpg

allye

Coming along! Those hubs are filth.

Is this going to be out and about this summer?

Rippthrough

Month or two and it should be rolling.

Rippthrough

Car going back together and shiny new discs - clearance on the caliper is a little risky mind...

Discsfittedrearthreeqtr.jpg
Discsfittedwheelclose.jpg
Discsfitted2.jpg
Discsfitted.jpg

Rippthrough

Cardboard aided design is out again:

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

Rippthrough

Not being too happy with the temporary air inlets for the manifold and supercharger, and having a spare bit of billet from another project, Ed make a small mountain of swarf and replaced the manifold one whilst I was swearing at the cam sensor (I had to make a plug for it, because we couldn't get a connector to fit it for love nor money):

NewInlet.jpg

NewInlet2.jpg

welshpug

does it run yet Phill? or have you taken it apart again? :P

Rippthrough

Just got the last bit of plating back, got a few upgrades to the new brake calipers to make so pulling them apart at the weekend, fuel lines finally went in tonight, still need to mount the pump and filter properly mind.

Rippthrough

Some of the bits that came back from the platers going together with proper seals, bearings and greased up ready to go:

FrontHubsCoatedComplete3.jpg
FrontHubsCoatedComplete2.jpg
FrontHubsCoatedComplete.jpg
FrontHubsCoatedStubs.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg

Plus an extra ;)

LaunchControlDecal.jpg

Rippthrough

Bit out of date again.

1 - It's been running, albeit with a whistling airleak from a gasket:

2 - Then this happened:

20160101_172544.jpg

calvinhorse

That dogs gonna have a mega headache!

Rippthrough

There's nothing in that dog's head to worry about, he runs into walls to stop.

calvinhorse

Haha! What a beaut!

Rippthrough

3 - Old 5-piece rivetted and glued roofskin is now a lighter, welded single piece effort. Much cursing and hammering was heard in the process. Sounded easier than it was, ripples all over the place to start with.

RoofSinglePiece..jpg

4 - Roundy Roundy bits went back in:

RebuildCrank.jpg

As did uppy-downy bits:

S2kEngineHeadGasket.jpg

And her hat went back on:

S2kEngineRebuilt.jpg

5 - Set the suspension to Irish cruzin spec:

LowRider.jpg

And a spot the difference game commenced:

BonnetPrimedNewRoofScoop.jpg

welshpug

dog - no dog?

Rippthrough

6 - Got slightly carried away with louvers. But only slightly.

RearLouversAll.jpg

Okay, maybe more than slightly:

louvers.jpg

Errm.

driverslouverslower.jpg

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

Haven't updated for a while due to serious family health issues/funerals - and a few heart problems of my own to boot - so will just bring this up to date a bit:

orkshop elves have been making new CV flanges since the old were pretty sloppy on the flanges, I'm going to have them plated to to tighten up the clearances a little this time around, as the rock on the splines a little from the plunging forces, and it wears the seals out eventually.

CV%20Flanges%20New.jpg

Cardboard aided design is back!
In fact, in this case, it was Computer Aided Design for the Cardboard Aided Design for the wing.
CAD^2? CAD inception? CCAD?....anyway:

wingribs2.jpg

Now we've evolved into PAD, it's almost structural. Almost*

RearWingRibs3.jpg

*Needs more duct tape.

Good news, the CV joints are here!

CVs.jpg

Bad news, they've sent the undercut 'race' ones with undersized CV balls that we don't want, as per earlier in the thread, as they're crap for wear and distort where the bolt heads are undercut.
So yes, more waiting....

More wing pictures time - finally got the first skeleton up to full width - need a thin sheath of balsa in certain spots just to give it some shape in order to skin it with either fabric or fibreglass to give it a structural skin, the wooden spars will get replaced with aluminium tube when it arrives, and it needs some carbon + epoxy reinforcements to go in on the trailing edge to stiffen/strengthen it, but at least it's getting closer - just another 3 to go...

RearWingElement1Skeleton-1.jpg

RearWingElement1Skeleton-2.jpg

Been and swapped the CV's today, forgot to get a photo but they're some proper GKN outers, but the chromoly race cages, eletropolished centre stars and balls are already fitted.
I need to hand finish some of the tracks but apart from that the rest of the prep work on the other bits already done so it should be a quick job to get them bolted up, bar coating the driveshafts in some anti-chip coating to stop any places cracks could propagate from.

Clutch pipe needs remaking as it's only a mocked up piece from old bits atm, but once we have that sorted, it can move. At last!

Won't be soon - have to give us a few weeks - as we're repairing one of the old spaceframed racers we used to make for someone else atm.

Inlet for the supercharger got remade to give a better run for the throttle cable and smoother transitions - still not ideal as in a perfect world it'd be curved into a bellmouth too but space is very, very tight down there - there's not enough length to do it properly. Mind, I don't think we'll miss a couple of horsepower...

NewChargerInlet.jpg

Getting prettier as you go through from start to finish :D

Finishing touches slowly going on, new inlet, new boost piping, heat shielding/lagging, shock reservoirs mounted, looms routed through bulkhead fittings, etc:

ChassisFinishingTouches.jpg

Well, that's one (still needs it fibreglass skin, has a thin* balsa layer at the minute to form the cloth over and it's allowed me to foam fill the leading and trailing edges for dent resistance)....

WingFront3qtr.jpg

WingFront3qtr2.jpg

On to the always growing list of 'additional s*it we shouldn't touch until it's finished but we're probably going to do anyway' - the front mudguard mountings tubes are going, they were originally left separate to the damper mounts so no damage occurred to the suspension if a mudguard got ripped off, but we've worked out a smaller, neater way to do it which gets that curved tube out of the equation. Should be lighter, look a lot neater and gets the tube out of the way of the wing endplates.
You can see the new nerf rails and front bumper coming together too.

[small]*So thin you can see the ribs through it, saves at least 10 vital grams of weight![/small] ;)