• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rippthrough

[misc_work] Still Nothing To Do With 205's...

Cameron

Fundamental principles of Motorsport awesomeness.

Rippthrough

Just gotta work out wtf to do with the front, but then traction is a priority so I'll worry about that later :D

Rippthrough

Cameron's gonna have to get some tissues, I've just finished some rough and dirty cfd work and I think it's gonna end up as a 3-element wing instead with a leading slat/flow conditioner.....

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

If it were in ideal circumstances, it should be making over 170kg of downforce @ 70mph.

More realistically, given the operating conditions from the flow off the car, probably looking at around around the 120-130kg area with the relatively benign stall needed, (given the amount the body moves around!)

Should be a noticable amount given the car is ~600kg at the rear, even if it's not life changing drive-on-the-ceiling amounts.

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

Some progress, secondaries mocked up, right length, but needs a couple of tweaks to the shape before welding to smooth the flow a little:

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

Side profile of engine/cage now, that's the old engine rear protection cage for mockup there, you can see how much longer the old setup used to be. The top bar used to be horizontal too, so you can also see how much ground clearance we've gained!

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

And some of the mountings and plumbing done. Yes, that alternator IS going to be a bitch to drive.
I know the air feed into the plenum and out of the charger need a bit of work but it's a case of make something easy that works at the moment and improve it later :D

DSC00268.jpg
DSC00269.jpg

allye

Mental, as in just crazy! The size of that radiator :o what's it off!?

Really look forward to some videos of this.

Rippthrough

Err, was designed for a 600+bhp skyline originally I think, it worked well enough with the rotary anyway so it's staying.
Just needs a new cowling now the mountings have changed!

Actually, if you want a rough scale, that's a pair of 16" fans sat side by side there.

Edited by Rippthrough

allye

I assume you're hoping to have it ready for the 2013 season? Might come the south Wales event in April as that one of the only weekends I have off over the summer!

Edited by allye

Rippthrough

It'll be ready for this season, just probably not the first one or two!
Good fun next week 'cause I've gotta wire the bitch up....

Edited by Rippthrough

Shakey_Jake

:0 Awesome! Looks like it will be mega fun with a set-up like that.

Rippthrough

So long as it stays in one piece!
The CV joints are a bit of a worry at the moment but we'll treat them to some uber-grease and see how they go.

stef205

That's one BIG inter cooler, what size pulley are you using? Boost?

Tom Fenton

The CV joints are a bit of a worry at the moment but we'll treat them to some uber-grease and see how they go.

What do you use Phil? I was looking for a superior alternative to regular motor factors moly grease but didn't come up with much.

Rippthrough

Millers Hi-Mol 20 is the usual Tom, far higher moly content than 'factors CV grease (Which is usually around 2%), it copes with higher temperatures better too.

However, managed to blag a small canister of some Tribolube stuff designed for driveshafts and swingpins military jets, which actually coats/embeds into the steel surface whilst it's being worked so it still works even if the boots get water in:

tribolube5jpg.jpg

So I'm gonna give that a shot!

Tom Fenton

Thanks Phil, I've ordered some of the Millers gear to try, it has to be better than car spares boggo grease, the problem I was having especially at the 'ring was heat from the brakes making the CV joint grease turn to watery crap, hence knocking shafts towards the end of a hard lap. Drive the car gently back to the digs and by the time you'd got back the grease had cooled down and the shafts had gone quiet again.

Rippthrough

Yeah, we've had that when we've had to use it as being the only thing to hand, soon learnt the lesson on that one after pouring it out of the boots like water...

Rippthrough

20130130_183703.jpg
20130130_183717.jpg

Who put a tube there?

20130130_183834.jpg

Okay, not the best solution, and finding a belt will be fun, but, the only way to do it:

20130131_203244.jpg

Starting to look a bit tight in there now!

20130131_203307.jpg

calvinhorse

Looking awesome Phil

Rippthrough

Looking like being ready for 2022 season more like. :P

Rippthrough

New engine cage + extra sump protection to try to stop the sump guards bending as much:

20130210_173042.jpg

TT205

Hats off to you Phil, there's some major work going in to this!

Rippthrough

Here hoping it doesn't go 'poof' the first time we hit the throttle eh? :D

Rippthrough

And a shiny pic to show just how much work went into moving the engine + box, lots further forward, a touch higher up, different mounting angle, transaxle casing modded so it could go nose-down....

DSC00271.jpg

versus the old:

08-03-08_1614.jpg

TT205

And a shiny pic to show just how much work went into moving the engine + box, lots further forward, a touch higher up, different mounting angle, transaxle casing modded so it could go nose-down....

I certainly see why it's dry-sumped :o:D