• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[engine_work] My New Gti6 Engine

pj838

Yeah its like Baz says, its a tight fit if you cut the hole right, and I used some RTV sealant as well. :lol:

smighall

The hose that is cracked goes down onto a plastic like T-piece just under the inlet. I might even have a spare one, i'll go and have a look in a minute. You an have it for postage cost if i do have one.

M@tt
I might even have a spare one, i'll go and have a look in a minute. You an have it for postage cost if i do have one.

legend :lol:

Paintguy
It was certainly a tight fit getting it in and I almost crushed Andy’s hand at one point when I turned the very sensitive crane release valve the wrong way and the engine dropped suddenly :( luckily no harm done :D

Remember Matt: lefty - loosey, righty - tighty :P Thankfully my cat-like reactions saved me from loosing a finger or two :D

M@tt

right well things have progressed nicely this evening

I called into jims on the way home and he'd kindly made me an extended bottom mount. Welded up a treat :D

th_DSC00732.jpg

so first job was to get that fitted and check the exhaust manifold clearance and luckily mine and andys measurements from yesterday we spot on and the flange is now sitting bang in the middle of the bulkhead tunnel.

I then turned my attention to the master cylinder clearance issue. After several trial fits i decided the first course of action was to remove part of the timing belt cover that was closest/fouling the master cylinder. So out came the dremel and 30mins or so later we had this

th_DSC00727.jpg

i then turned my attention to the part of the cam cover where the last bolt for the lid screws in and ground this off as well to give extra clearance

th_DSC00729.jpg

However i wasn't really happy still about the closeness of the master cylinder to the top of the cam pulleys and envisaged a pretty terminal failure if the two ever came into contact so it was a case then of pulling the master cylinder out and grinding down the side of it that overhangs the pulley and could potentiall touch if the engine were to move too much

th_DSC00730.jpg

I'm now much happier about the clearance issue and can't see there being any problems now :(

th_DSC00731.jpg

So next step is to sort the plumbing out, i think i have all the connectors i need now so touch wood that should all go smoothly :P

allanallen

looks a treat winston :( lookin forward to racein you

i didn't realise you can file that much material off the mastercylinder. good work

M@tt

yeah i was just winging it with the master cylinder but i didn't take too much off so should be fine touch wood, dont think its gonna burst the sidewalls where i've ground it or anything like that, unless anyone knows differently or cares to discect a knackered master cylinder for me :(

djinuk

Really enjoying this project, please get loads of pics and attention as there is little on the gti6 engine i find on these boads, and it would be really nice to see a project start to finish, would give me the balls to do it to mine hehe

Rippthrough

Hope that pipework fits Matt ;)

/stalker mode

M@tt

yeah i'm going to produce a "how to" once i've finished, and i'll certainly be taking lots of pitures along the way

Phil yeah it was a bit random bumping into into Ed in CH during my lunch hour. I was sweating after spending £30 on 4m of braided fuel hose, ed looked like he had the best part of £500 worth of pipes in front of him ;)

Rippthrough
yeah i'm going to produce a "how to" once i've finished, and i'll certainly be taking lots of pitures along the way

Phil yeah it was a bit random bumping into into Ed in CH during my lunch hour. I was sweating after spending £30 on 4m of braided fuel hose, ed looked like he had the best part of £500 worth of pipes in front of him :o

Just over a grand actually ;)

Would have got you that pipe for about a tenner if you'd have asked beforehand, we get serious discount :D

M@tt

right made a bit more progress tonight

As i'm utilising the power styeering from the 306, the reservoir is going to sit in the drivers wing and therefore there really isn't any space to mount the 106 GTI fuel filter there so i decided to locate the it well away from the exhaust manifold over on the passenger side of the engine bay. Using an old coil mounting bracket i was able to fit it onto the mounting brackets where the ignition amplifier used to be.

th_DSC00734.jpg

This then meant i needed some new fuel hose but also i decided to cut the metal fuel lines so that the new braided hose joined them under the car and meant i could keep them well away from the heat from the exhaust. Obviously the normal fuel supply line has a screw fitting joining the metal pipe to rubber hose but as i'd removed this i decided to use 2 clips to hold the line securely and also make sure that the metal line was pushed into the hose a good long distance to give it extra resistance to pulling apart.

th_DSC00739.jpg.

th_DSC00740.jpg

I routed the fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail up along the bulkhead

th_DSC00741.jpg

I then turned my attention to the idle control valve breather pipe, as time is short and i've been unable to find a suitable section of straight pipe onto which i can fit a take off for the idel control vale pipe i opted to buy a small airfilter off ebay to fit on the end of the pipe to allow it to breathe.

th_DSC00744.jpg

The gti6 comes with a purge soldeiod and carbon cannister but on the 205 there really wasn't anywhere for the canister to go however i decied to keep the valve and found that it fitted nicely on the drivers wing if i shortened one of the pipes. I then routed the atmosphere pipe from the valve out of the bottom of the engine bay which should be fine

th_DSC00746.jpg

so this is how it looks at the mo, it's getting there so fingers crossed over the weekend if the weather holds out most of it should be done :angry:

th_DSC00747.jpg

allanallen

eggshellent.

If you've not already, do away with the pipe that goes between the cam cover and the throttle body. saves all the oil goin back into the inlet mani. I used a length of garden hose and a drinkin bottle on my rallye, looks gash but works a treat :angry:

gti-si

What the hell is a Purge Solenoid?! haha

Looks good Matt, may take your idea of fuel line routing up actually. I've used the screw connector or my 6, but your right, does end up sitting very close to the exhaust manifold

AllanAllen, that's what the little filter is for between the two isn't it?

Edited by gti-si

welshpug
What the hell is a Purge Solenoid?! haha

AllanAllen, that's what the little filter is for between the two isn't it?

purge solenoid empties the vapours collected from the fuel tank in the carbon canister, no system of this sort on the 205 (at least in this country AFAIK)

the little filter you mention is actually a valve, no benefit in removing it from the inlet tract IMO as it just adds complication to the engine bay.

if you do intend on re-routing it you need to keep the valve inline.

Edited by welshpug

allanallen
if you do intend on re-routing it you need to keep the valve inline.

so in my case you would say you need the valve inbetween the cam cover and the catch tank?

welshpug

yes, If you read one of Cameron's recent threads he was having his tank fill up very quickly without the valve on his GTi6/Mi16 hybrid, pop the valve back in line and all was well again.

getting there pretty quickly Matt, though the proximity of the alternator to the inner wing would cause some concern!

allanallen
yes, If you read one of Cameron's recent threads he was having his tank fill up very quickly without the valve on his GTi6/Mi16 hybrid, pop the valve back in line and all was well again.

just for reference; mines fine without valve, tank has around 50ml in it after 8000 miles. horses for courses i guess

M@tt

right next round of updates, fortunately the weather held off so i managed to get quite a bit done today, also my mate popped round with his new aston martin vantage v8 which was a nice distraction, the sound on full chat is awesome!!!

anyway the first job today was to sort the T piece from the expansion tank to the engine and the heater matrix. I'd been to B&Q during the week and got various plumbing connectors so this morning i had several attempts at knocking up various shapes connecotrs to differnet pipe sizes but in the end i ended up with this

th_DSC00757.jpg

once fitted it looked like this

th_DSC00761.jpg

i was able to use several pipes i'd liberated from various pugs and citroens at the scrappy last weekend.

I then had to make a top radiator pipe, which i did using the standard 306 pipe and a couple of 8v top rad pipes so that i could route it round the air filter

th_DSC00763.jpg

once that was sorted i turned my attention to the bottom radiator hose. The GTI6 conversion ideally needs a citroen bx 16v bottom hose as it has the correct take off which goes to the oil cooler but as i wasn't able to get one of these i had to settle on making my own. During my scrap yard hunt last weekend i came across a pipe with a suitable T piece in it.

th_DSC00765.jpg

I was then able to mate this up to the standard gti6 bottom rad pipe along with another bit of 8v hose, plus my plumbign skills were called into action again to make up a suitable 90 degree bend

th_DSC00769.jpg

th_DSC00770.jpg

th_DSC00774.jpg

last job of the day was to sort the slam panel as it was quite close to inlet manifold and also one of the breathers on the inlet manifold, so out came the angle grinder and 10 mins later all sorted

th_DSC00778.jpg

returnofjim
purge solenoid empties the vapours collected from the fuel tank in the carbon canister, no system of this sort on the 205 (at least in this country AFAIK)

Yes there is, ive had 2 of them :D a 1.9 and a 1.1

Nice work matt, hows about sticking some proper fuel hose clips on instead of jubliees :D

Edited by returnofjim

Paintguy

Christ Matt!

I was going to ask if you needed a hand tomorrow, but it looks like you've just about finished. I'll give you a buzz in the morning anyway :D

tidypug

I might pop up too, just to have a nosey :D . Plus it gives me an excuse to take the pug for a drive, there's some good roads on the way to your house.

M@tt

the more the merrier, got a fresh supply of chocholate hob nobs in as well :D,

jobs left are fit the power steering hoses, sort the downpipe and wire up the plug, then fill her full of fluids and thrap the ass off her :D

Miles

The carbon canister goes undert the front N/S wheel arch, All the CAT equiped 205's had them there

taylorspug

Matt, a word of warning regarding the cambelt/MC clearance. I cant really see how much clearance you have there, but the '6 engines move a MASSIVE amount on their mounts ive found. My car has a complete set of BBM mounts, with the top mount buffers touching the mount (you literally cant shift the engine by hand), and i still get between half an inch to an inch of movement, as ive noticed a small witness mark further up my cam cover, aswell as a small vibration through the pedals at times. This is an issue ive noticed on a few GTI6 205s now, although everyone runs different mount setups etc.

I also wonder why certain cars seem to need the cambelt cover chopping to get the MC in, never had the need to do that personally, and tbh i wouldnt want to either.