• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
easypug

[trackday_prep] 205 Gti6 Supercharged

arnold naber

order a brake kit at rallydesign... i got the smallest kit.. but have orderd the big one for a customer.. nice stuff and fits OK

easypug

OK, I ended up getting hold of a second hand set of compbrake brakes which are now sitting at home. I've also ordered my wheels which are Comopotive MO1682's 16x8 ET0. Hopefully they will sit right in the arches with the Maxi kit.

I'm not sure where to look for a pedal box, I'm swinging towards AB Motorsport at the moment. Any other suggestions are welcome. Along with RJ wishbones?

welshpug

how much are they from AB? Compbrake do a decent looking one, there was a thread about it not too long ago.

Batfink

If its a car for the road then I would not bother with rose joints as they will need to be kept clean..Personally I would look at the 405 front subframe and 405 wishbones and hubs :D

405 mi16 front track width 1440 mm

205 1.6 1364 mm

should be plenty and dirt cheap!

welshpug

306 front track is 1462mm, likely to be easier to make it work in a 205 than 405 bits, all thw 205 big brake bits etc will fit them but not the 405 hub.

just remembered, the 306 is only wider because of the lower offset wheels, they use the same length driveshafts!

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

I think the subframe will bolt straight on...

didnt the old 205parts 4x4 205 have a 405 front subframe???

easypug
If its a car for the road then I would not bother with rose joints as they will need to be kept clean..Personally I would look at the 405 front subframe and 405 wishbones and hubs :D

405 mi16 front track width 1440 mm

205 1.6 1364 mm

should be plenty and dirt cheap!

Will be purely a track car, might have a hint of road spells every now and again mind.

AB are around £285 all in.

Searching on here for compbrakes pedal boxes kind of put me off getting one from them.

Batfink

I'm just getting a standard one converted to run three master cylinders

Miles

It's even better to run 405/406 hub's, Means you can fit nice big brakes (Even 406 Brembo's etc) and use a good joint at the bottom instead of the 205 one

B1ack_Mi16

Does anyone have pictures of a 205 with 405 carriers at front?

I'm thinking of doing it myself but that I'm missing is some nice front arms that will fit the 205 subframe without too much modification and hopefully no need to modify the shell.. just subframe.

I've tried the 300x28mm discs with brembos and they will fit under the SL434's with spacer also on this setup.. nice with big brakes under 15" wheels :rolleyes:

Andy F

what dash are you going to be using?

I had my dash bar in the same position (above the steering cowling) and couldnt get the dash in so had to move it to going through the steering cowling like most of the others do.

Andy

Batfink
Does anyone have pictures of a 205 with 405 carriers at front?

I'm thinking of doing it myself but that I'm missing is some nice front arms that will fit the 205 subframe without too much modification and hopefully no need to modify the shell.. just subframe.

I've tried the 300x28mm discs with brembos and they will fit under the SL434's with spacer also on this setup.. nice with big brakes under 15" wheels :)

thats sartys with the 405/406 hubs

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4437/evoii32.jpg

snooks

Not looking to bad.

Edited by snooks

easypug
what dash are you going to be using?

I had my dash bar in the same position (above the steering cowling) and couldnt get the dash in so had to move it to going through the steering cowling like most of the others do.

Andy

I'll be making my own largely based on the standard dash but slightly different. Pictures will go on here once that's under way.

The car is now getting the kit fitted and paint. Should be ready to paint by end of this month and painted by end of Feb I'm told.

Kev-G
306 front track is 1462mm, likely to be easier to make it work in a 205 than 405 bits, all thw 205 big brake bits etc will fit them but not the 405 hub.

just remembered, the 306 is only wider because of the lower offset wheels, they use the same length driveshafts!

306 uses the same off-set as 205....Driveshafts are longer than 309.

IIRC 306, 405 + 406 arms are approximately the same length (and the same as 309), but the extra width is in the subframe.

Agree that using 406 hubs would yield a better ball-joint design, but I would also look @ 307 set-up....Gives the same ball-joint as the 406, but attaches to the bottom of the strut with a 2 bolt flange similar to MkII Golf/Subaru (and I'm sure others). Set of camber bolts for easy adjustment (and use your top mounts to maximise caster if you have them). It would however mean new front struts, but if you still have these to buy then it opens up the possibility.

I'd like to see a better picture of the part Colin made to mount the 406 hubs to the 306 arms on Sarty's car - I would actually look into extending it to allow the 306 shafts to be used + with the 307 hubs use the camber bolts to pull the camber back in (as I suspect that it would be too much). 306 shafts are much more readily available than 309 now.

easypug

Small update with a picture of the progress. Still quite a lot to do.

post-3299-1264002046_thumb.jpg

easypug

Just to add the bonnet hasn't been fitted correctly yet.

easypug

th_IMGP0794.jpgth_IMGP0787.jpgth_IMGP0784.jpg

Getting there, still some smoothing to be done which will be done when it's painted.

Will-205

I like it good work.

hman205

Have you sorted what wheels your going to be using?

easypug

Got it back today for me to prep and seal the underside. Won't be starting that untill I get back from Afghanistan March time though I think. Wheels are for the time being Comp MO's with scope to change when the car is developed further down the line.

th_P2050319.jpgth_P2050312.jpgth_P2050320-1.jpg

Bonnet is one of weejimmy on here and is of excellant quality, I will definatly be buying any other panels he plans on making. I brought the tailgate from Magnum and although very light the quality is poor.

Baz

Looks fantastic Dave!! :)

Craig told me last night about the little bargains you got recently too! Jammy git! :lol:

Edited by Baz

Baz

Ooh, also, are you sticking with 205 front lights too? The kit looks like it still accepts them but so many run 306 front ends i thought i'd ask!

What's the rear beam spec going to be? Any mods to make it wider or will the wheels do that alone?

Alastairh

Looking good Dave!

A think a beer should be organised when your back! :lol:

easypug
Ooh, also, are you sticking with 205 front lights too? The kit looks like it still accepts them but so many run 306 front ends i thought i'd ask!

What's the rear beam spec going to be? Any mods to make it wider or will the wheels do that alone?

Sticking with 205 front lights, I think they look better with 205 lights :lol:

Rear beam is:

309 Beam tube

23mm TB's

25mm ARB

VTS Trailing arms

Solid mounts

Wheels are ET0 which should bring them out enough for the time being. I'll be looking at other options once it's all complete on wider track front and rear.

I did get a few good bargains recently, engine is going in NNO on Tues/Weds. Will probably make a thread up to show progress on that as i've brought a few other parts for it too. :)

Al - Beer is always good :)