• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AdamP

[trackday_prep] Roland Garros Hillclimb/trackday Project

AdamP
Well done adam, looks like you had a great time and getting some good use out of it even in the awful weather! Always frustrating when you make up ground in the bends to lose it all on the straights, had that problem at silverstone GP circuit in my C2 GT.

I wasn't too fussed tbh, just happy just my driving was improving through the day and the car was going really nicely :)

RossD

Looks great out there on the track! :)

AdamP

Back on wednesday (a long time ago, i've been busy partying!) I dismantled the GTi subframe for cleaning and modifying:

Complete subframe...

PICT0087.jpg

Polybushed GTi ARB, 17mm compared to the XS 23mm one, should increase front end grip and allow me to get the power down earlier!

PICT0090.jpg

Polybushed 309 wishbones...

PICT0097.jpg

Power steering rack (at the back... with a standard XS one for comparison)

PICT0099.jpg

Subframe...

PICT0094.jpg

And an XS subframe which i'll be nicking the gear linkage post off (can see the inferior lower suspension linkage setup)

PICT0091.jpg

PICT0093.jpg

Will get that done ASAP, although its 4 months until the next event.

edbar

Good stuff adam! Just got myself a 205 gti front arb to try and get more grip at the front on my 309.

swordfish210

Good stuff, i had a great day swapping all my suspension over to the GTI stuff. I used the gear linkage post from the GTI subframe though, just cut it off, moved it and rewelded it.

AdamP

Got on with the subframe today. Started by cutting the gear post off the XS one:

PICT0100.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

PICT0103.jpg

Then I cleaned up the GTi subframe, cut off the old gear post, cleaned the paint away and welded on the new one.

Trial fit:

PICT0104.jpg

PICT0105.jpg

And then I forgot to take any pictures when it had been welded on. Muppet. Also slapped a coat of satin black hammerite on the bare metal.

Then onto removing the old RG one. I started off by draining the brake fluid and removing the front calipers / flexis as they will be replaced with braided ones. Took a bit of WD40 and blow torth to get the flexi's off and unfortunately at some point someone has snapped off a bleed nipple in on of the calipers so I'll have to get that out (hopefully wont be too bad with a blow torch and stud extractor). Then the struts came off and the subframe was dropped.

Not an unusual sight:

PICT0106.jpg

Original subframe:

PICT0107.jpg

Nice big hole where it lived:

PICT0108.jpg

I need to work out what I'm going to to now as the struts don't have the brackets for the ARB droplinks on them :-/

Will build up the GTi subframe next weekend with the 309 wishbones, quicker rack and ARB, ready to go on when I've worked out what I'm going to do about the struts!

AdamP

First, the bad news. I dismantled the struts and the Spax shocks are sealed, so I can't really weld to them with the sort of penetration needed for the ARB mounts.

PICT0113.jpg

However it was suggested to me today the the South West meet that OE spec Bilstein 306 GTi6 dampers might be upto the job, and I think they come in at around £45 each. I can run them, see what they feel like while saving up for gaz coilies if necessary :)

I decided to strip down the PAS steering rack to clean it and check for wear / regrease it. I also wanted to remove the TRs to give them a lick of paint.

PICT0111.jpg

I also spent 3 hours with the blow torch and several stud extractors removing a snapped off bleed nipple from the passenger side caliper. The thread isn't looking too great but the nipple screws in:

PICT0112.jpg

Then today I picked up the main part of 'Project Frankenstein Engine', a 127k mile 106 XSI engine. This will supply the big valve head and hi-comp pistons ;)

PICT0109.jpg

Its easier getting it in than taking it out, I assure you! Now sat along side it's TU3S brother ready for bastardisation:

PICT0110.jpg

Lan

where did you get that nice gear linkage from??

burr_2000

Hi adam,

Nice thread. Forgot to mention a important thing when we were talking about the frankenstein engine. You will need to purchase a electric fuel pump (i use a facet one) because your RG is working off a dizzy and the xsi camshaft does not work (pick up) with your mechanical fuel pump so just make a plate and blank off where it used to be. Its not that big a deal. Hope you managed to get cut outs in your pistons :P .