• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AdamP

[trackday_prep] Roland Garros Hillclimb/trackday Project

Jrod
:lol: Looks so god with those white steels.

AdamP

Thanks! The ones with slicks on aren't really white anymore... more a kind of cream :P Whatever colour rust + old white paint makes.

AdamP

This evening I stipped out the interior completely ready to prep the floor for paint! Biiig tin of matt black FTW!

Also had a go at removing the track rod end... but failed miserably. Have left it soaking in Halford Penetrating Oil for now.

Oh yeh and my caliper socket came so I split the steel bits off the ali bits for blasting and painting :P

Adam

Edited by AdamP

AdamP

Zinc primered a few areas to stop the rust today....

P8290070.jpg

Also removed the sunroof leaving a gaping hole:

P8290066.jpg

And removed a large amount of filler and rust to reveal this:

P8290065.jpg

Not good! Need to find a repair patch for that.

Adam

AdamP

Took even more of it apart today... including removing the dash. I wanted to remove the sound deadening from behind it, which turned out to be a bit more involved than I first thought!

P8300081.jpg

What I dug out weighed over 5kgs though... :) Also removed all the radio wiring from behind it as well. The heater's staying for the moment though.

Zinc primered more of the bare metal:

P8300078.jpg

Got a fair amount of welding to do now... loads of holes in the floor.

Adam

AdamP

A few more pictures.

How she is at the moment:

P8300077.jpg

Sorgot to say I removed the door cars as well, but kept the pockets as the hold the electric window switches (it'll all be going when we get some Polycarb windows).

P8300074.jpg

All the crap that came out from behind the dash:

P8300073.jpg

Adam

Grahamrally

Looking good so far Adam. Shame about your problem with the clutch release bearing. I've got perspex windows coming up for sale very shortly, keep an eye on the for sale forum if you're interested!

AdamP
Looking good so far Adam. Shame about your problem with the clutch release bearing. I've got perspex windows coming up for sale very shortly, keep an eye on the for sale forum if you're interested!

Very interested! Will probably have them off you depending on condition and price.

Adam

wardy18

hi

wow uve just shown me everything i have yet to come, this is exactly what i will be doin over the winter to my hillclimb 205, glad to see uve gone the whole way with takin the dash out, i dont see teh point in people strippin the car of its interior for race use but leavin the dash in, take it out completely and tidy it up with a smart alloy surround to hide all wires etc then u can run ur own dials and guages etc where u want!!

may come back to you soon for some advice and help when doin mine!!

im also not lookin forward to removin the sun roof as i didnt know what to expect underneath but seein those shots puts my mind at rest a little, doesnt look too bad!!

cheers

simon

AdamP

The dash will be going back in, I want to keep the heater as it will also be used on the road.

I got the gearbox back in yesterday and have welded up more of the holes in the floor. Nearly ready for some paint!

Adam

AdamP

Well believe it or not i haven't abandoned it :wacko:

I have an ali sheet over the sunroof hole and most of the front end back together. I've also stripped all the unnecessary wiring and the central locking out, so now it's looking pretty damn bare! I'm going to get it weighed at some point as well :unsure:

christopher
Looks so god with those white steels.

White steelies rock!!

Jrod

Yes they do. :)

Grahamrally

Adam, I'm going to get started on finishing the cylinder head sometime in the next few weeks so that should be done for you very shortly. Also I did a big clearout of all the stuff in the workshop and found quite a lot of TU engine spares, new head gasket, head bolts, cams etc and wondered if you wanted them?

If you wanted to bring the car up and get it corner weighted then you're welcome.

Graham

AdamP

Any spares would be great! The car should be back on it's wheels in the next few weeks so bringing it up and collecting the bits would be an option :) I'll talk to my dad about it, see what he thinks.

Adam

AdamP

Right, thread resurrection! Been concetrating on my Polo recently as I'm 17 next month and need something to drive :)

DSC04924.jpg

Got my 205 mojo back today. so decided to finish off the 9th and 10th rollcage mounts (above the windscreen).

Pictures speak for themselves really.

DSC04929.jpg

DSC04930.jpg

DSC04935.jpg

Ran out of welding wire half way through the 2nd one :D

Then got on with another problem area:

DSC04933.jpg

DSC04936.jpg

DSC04941.jpg

Will be welded in next weekend :blush:

DSC04949.jpg

DSC04946.jpg

Hoping to have it all back and running by the end of February ;D

Adam

Jrod

Saw your bit in PPC. :blush:

AdamP
Saw your bit in PPC. :)

Glad somebody saw it :D I expect most people completely missed it because of the gorgeous GT40 replica below :blush:

Grahamrally

Adam, how come you're not using the 205 as your road car, thought it might be a bit more fun than your polo, though I'm assuming things :blush:

Graham

AdamP
Adam, how come you're not using the 205 as your road car, thought it might be a bit more fun than your polo, though I'm assuming things ;)

Graham

Insurance is one thing.... Polo with all mods declared came to £600! 205 would be £1000+. :)

Expect a phonecall in the next few days... :)

AdamP

More welding supplies meant I could finish off the welding. The welding is now officially over for this car!

New metal welded in:

DSC04951.jpg

Ground down:

DSC04954.jpg

Fillered:

DSC04955.jpg

High build primered:

DSC04956.jpg

DSC04957.jpg

Will be ordering Polycarbonate for the windows this week... then all it needs is paint! ;D

Jrod

Whats up with all those eye bolts? :ph34r:

AdamP
Whats up with all those eye bolts? :D

So I dont lose them :ph34r:

Actually, I was sat thinking a few weekends ago and decided to see if the third hole was the same thread... which it is B)

AdamP

Dug the compressor and spray gun out this afternoon and gave the cage some primer:

P2120017.jpg

P2120022.jpg

P2120024.jpg

P2120025.jpg

And the polycarbonate has arrived ;D

welshpug

good progress, I bet that poor compressor is going flat out!