• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AdamP

[trackday_prep] Roland Garros Hillclimb/trackday Project

AdamP

May sound like an odd choice of car to strip out considering it comes with electric windows, central locking, leather seats, sunroof etc but the main attraction was that the majority of it had already gone, it's solid and most of all it was cheap!

Chose a 1400 as we want to hillclimb it in the sub-1400 class.

Anyway, current pictures:

DSC03349.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

DSC03364.jpg

DSC03362.jpg

It came with 4 Avon ACB10s, 4 Michelin slicks, 6 A021Rs, 6 steel wheels, 4 road tyres and 4 Roland Garros Alloys!

Also already has fitted Spax suspension, lowered beam, bucket seats and harnesses.

Bought an OMP cage:

With the cage trial fitted...

DSC03542.jpg

DSC03543.jpg

Adam

johnnyboy666

pretty sweet, ive got a roland too and he's great :huh: getting pretty rare too!

calvinhorse

looks mint! great project! keep the pics coming!!! :huh:

RossD

Nice project! Any engine mods to come or has it already got a monster 1360 under the bonnet?

Jrod

We will have to do a TU members trackday. ^_^

swordfish210

ooooo i'll be up for a TU members trackday ^_^ looks pretty cool, get that stupid backbox off though, put the standard one back on and get back the BHP that that one's lost you

Jrod

We'll have to organise one sometime, have to be in the middle of most people and when all the projects are finished as most Tu's seem to be work in progress? ^_^

TKH

What class are you planning running in AdamP?

TKH
We will have to do a TU members trackday. ^_^

Sounds like fun B) Hope you let us 106, Vesa, AX and Saxo people come play as well B)

RossD
Sounds like fun B) Hope you let us 106, Vesa, AX and Saxo people come play as well :(

Great idea!! ^_^ Mine won't be ready until very late this year at the earliest though :(

PS The Visa's didn't get Tu engines, so they're excluded B)

Edited by RossD

Jrod
Great idea!! ^_^ Mine won't be ready until very late this year at the earliest though :(

PS The Visa's didn't get Tu engines, so they're excluded B)

I'll be lucky If mines done this decade. B)

AdamP

Currently the only engine mods are the lack of an airbox (open carb.. not good) and the exhaust.

It has a straight though centre section and I have already replaced that backbox with the standard one :wacko:

I need to re-mount the bucket seats it came with which were bolted to the floor through a series of runners, brackets and small bits of steel which wobbled around. I'm going to weld in cross bars to bolt them to. Also need to find an airbox/filter (anyone got one hanging around?).

We're aiming to run in the 1400 Mod-prod class, won't be overly competitive but more competitive and cheaper than a GTi in the 2000 class.

Future aims are a P&P head with lumpy cam, bike carbs and tubey manifold for 120bhp or so, 1.6 GTi rear beam to match the front brakes we have to go on, and other small bits.

Adam

Edited by AdamP

Jrod

I've got an airbox you can have for £10 delivered.

AdamP
I've got an airbox you can have for £10 delivered.

Is it the type with the right angle coming off the top of the carb going into a box with the filter then a hose going to the front of the car? And does it have all the bits?

If so... deal done :wacko:

Jrod
post-8046-1182533598_thumb.jpg

DaveW

Yeah get a 4 branch they make loads of difference! Tu track day eh? are 16v Tu's aloud :wacko:

Also are you aloud to use a K&N or pipercross filter?

Edited by DaveW

AdamP
Yeah get a 4 branch they make loads of difference! Tu track day eh? are 16v Tu's aloud :wacko:

Also are you aloud to use a K&N or pipercross filter?

Yeh we are allowed to use any intake system.

Adam

RossD
Yeah get a 4 branch they make loads of difference! Tu track day eh? are 16v Tu's aloud :)

Of course they are.... Just so us 8v boys can show you up! :)

Anulfo

You may want to check the regs of the clubs events that you intend to sprint in.I see that you have stripped out the interior?That should put you into fully modified?My 1900GTi sprints in modified production and the only thing you can remove is the carpets.

Henry Yorke

I don't think the Garros ran the same twin choke carb as the 205 XS, so that may be a useful mod to make as they were both TU3 engines.

P.S. I like the window stickers!! :D

danpug

My ex's garros definitely had a twin choke carb, whether it was the same as the xs one i don't know but it was definitely as quick as an xs.

RossD
My ex's garros definitely had a twin choke carb, whether it was the same as the xs one i don't know but it was definitely as quick as an xs.

Quick way to tell is look at the engine code, K2A should be a TU3S. It can be found on a small riveted plate by the gearbox bellhousing at the front.

AdamP

Sorry guys I've been on holiday for the past week.

It is a TU3S engine with a twin choke, same as in the XS.

Looks like we've sourced a pipercross pancake filter as well.

Cage and buckets in by the end of the week hopefully :)

Adam

AdamP

Finally got the cage in! Needed a fair amount of persuasion though... not a particularly good fit. Will get some pictures up here tomorrow, and will be trying to get a bucket seat in :D

Adam

AdamP

Pictures:

Holes drilled and first middle mount in position. It took a fair bit of modifying with the hacksaw to get it to fit nicely. Repeated for the other side :D

DSC03746.jpg

Modifying one of the front mounts:

DSC03747.jpg

Front mount in position:

DSC03748.jpg

Middle mount welded in. Excuse some of the rough welding... I'm inexperienced at welding thick metal to thin metal and managed to blow about 70 million holes! They're strong though.

DSC03750.jpg

Being a muppet I forgot to photograph the front ones... later yeh!