• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pip470

[trackday_prep] My 1/4 Mile And Trackday Project Car

Pug_Power_Dave

Cool matey! recon it'l be ready in time? You going to get it on the RR again before heading to the pod?

Looks like you might win nxt time we're there racing! as missed out on the new toy! :lol:

cybernck

how much nitrous are you planning on running then?

pip470

Hi dave, shame u missed out on the lancer muhahahaha, wouldnt be in the spirit of 205 anyway lol. Im not going to get it rolling roaded this time because of money, im buying a big 82lb bottle so i can do my own refills as ive been two places and stil havnt got nitrous for different reasons. So if i get it myself there should be no problem. As for it being ready, well it will definatly be ready in N/A, its just if i can get all the nitrous aspects together.

Cybernck, Ive been on the wizards forum and hes been watching on my progress and he made a loose statement that the he has seen a peugeot engine fail at 75hp jets fixed hit, he couldnt remember what the engine was or car but for that reason im only going to be running 50 hp jets on the saturday which in theory should give a 25hp gain but i would be happy with anything over 15-20. If its all going well and i have no problems i will try 75hp jets towards the end of sunday. He did say it was the piston which was the weak factor so was wondering does anybody know what the xu7jp4 piston has taken normally aspirated. I suppose ill speak to sandy. That should give me a little bit of a heads up on what it can take.

Phill

danpug

Sandy is putting together my xu7jp4 turbo engine, should be a nice amount over 200bhp on standard pistons. That will be on mappable management though which helps an awaful lot!

Tom Fenton

Just be careful using the nitrous at first, the main thing is to ensure you have enough fuel going in with the nitrous to keep it on the rich side. If it starts to go anywhere near lean then you will be into problems.

As a simple test hold the revs at about 3000rpm and activate the nitrous, the revs should pick up and then level out, but not bog or flare uncontrollably.

A wideband lambda gauge is a good idea if you have one, just to make sure it doesn't go lean.

cybernck

i think NOsMAN blew up his Mi16 with 100 bhp shot of NOS, or was it 75 bhp, hmmm...

either way, it's got a lot to do with the condition of the engine, but don't go over 50 and you should be fine.

may as well try 75 at the end of the day, if you feel everything's right :).

not sure if you're supposed to active NOS on anything bar WOT though.

jackherer

Wizeks was fine with over 100 bhp on his S16 and my mate has that engine now and its still fine. In fact I'm about to take it for a spin. That was with a progressive controller though, I think those are the key to running lots of nitrous.

pip470

Thanks for all the replys, The static test which tom is refering to is a procedure that trevor langfield (the wizard of noz) has devised for his kits only, (may work with other kits but hes not going to say that is he) to get a idication of what jet ratio to use. What ever the rev limit you will be using for example to keep it simple is 6000 rpm, you divide it by 3 and that will give you 2000 rpm. Now you hold the revs at this amount and hit the nitrous activation switch and if the revs rise to a steady 1000 below revlimit, he says this is in the target area of being safe. If its less its too rich so the usual is to drop the fuel jet a size, ie to lean it out. And the opposite if it gets too close to or hits the limit its too lean, so you would increase the fuel jets. Heres a vid of trev in action.

http://media.putfile.com/Static-test-Pro-Mod

http://media.putfile.com/Big-power-static-test

He always says back it up with a road test but its nice to hace a test before the road test if you know what i mean.

My nitrous spec if you like is 4 direct port crosfire injectors, with a minimax controller and a bottle heater to try and keep a steady pressure of 950psi. Im hoping the bits i have chosen will give consistant results. I had a look at my ignition timing and at 6500 its at 32 but its an mbe ignition system so is progressive with the revs, im going to keep this figure for the normally aspirated friday and then on saturday i will adjust all the sites from 3500 to 6500 to retard the ignition by 4 degrees as recomended by trev. I have yet to do a static because im waiting for some details of nitrousoxidesupplies so i can get my self a biiiiiig bottle of noz and also for a couple of unions to finish the fuel side of the system. I suppose the only bit i can use out of all the engines is the turbo xu7jp4 information, if sandy thinks they can handle 200hp well thats a good thing in my book but i agree with cybernick too, stick with the 50 and work on technique and tuning the nitrous timing using the minimax and also trying different combos as i have plenty what with the different wheels and all. So 75 is only on the cards if i havnt blown it up by sunday afternoon.

Just about the car, i had my road legal monkey bike stolen from me at 1.30 last night, i was at work, i know the lads who have taken it, i was insured 3rd party only because the excess was the same price of the bike on anything above third party, and do you know what the police said " what would you like us to do" Apparently as i am sat here writing this the bike is being ridden around my home town by the scrotes and i left a message with the police about half an hour ago to try and get some one over there to catch them and they havnt rang back yet, I am losing my faith in civilisation completely. I earn my toys while these toe rags get to take what they want with no repense. I think i could get prosicuted with the thoughts that are going through my mind. Sorry to go off topic but just trying to say other than the supply lines nothing else was done today.

Many thanks Phill

Edited by pip470

Pug_Power_Dave

Sorry to hear about your bike :lol: seems the police arnt intrested in much these days unless you say you think the criminals have got a gun!

Sounds like things are coming together otherwise!!

Looking forward to seeing the beast in action in a couple of weeks!

pip470

Ok Fitted a new ribenna bottle for my oil catch tank as i damaged the last one fitting the gearbox. Also Had a look at some more nitrous stuff, I was very dissapointed with my spark strength, it barely manages to jump 1cm gap, WoN recomend it should be able to jump at least 15mm, I tested the resistance of one of the leads and it was 10ohm, So a set of magnecores i think will be needed. I also fitted the 20mm spacers as the yoko 048 tyres have really wide side walls and it was really close to the shock mount and brake lighns. That is now sorted but has increased the rotational mass. I should notice a big differance when moving from the 14 inch wheels with the yokos to the 13 inch wet slicks as theres over 10kg in wieght each side differance, "0 kg saving of rotational mass. Im going to try and get the wiring done for the system and at the minute im still on for august the 15th but keep running into these little problems.Cheers Phill

post-8104-1217704375_thumb.jpg

pip470

Well been playing somemore, Its getting quite fustrating at times but the 15th is only round the corner so i must carry on. All my nitrous progress has been documented on the wizard of nos forum and instead of copying it and pating it ill just post the link if you want to take a look. I should, aslong as the second attempt at statics go ok be doing a test run on saturday morning so ill be sure let you know if it works or not. Cheers Phill

http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3824

Edited by pip470

Pug_Power_Dave

IT WORKS!!! haha nice one buddy, so where you going to be doing the test run?

which mix are you going to go with? think the '50/40' seems to go better! (not quite so much popping up the revs, could just not hear it so well thou) but do you really mean 60/40? :(

pip470

Well done another test tonight and the result was alot more promising, the car is at work with me now, There is a nice long straight next to my work,lol What you mean dave 60 40, I have a 50 nitrous and 40 fuel in at the minute, that took the revs too 5500 which i think is perfect. I changed a plug lead that was reading 16000 ohms resistance to one that was 9000 ohms and put the timing back to original as i misread one of the wizards posts. All being well dave fingers crossed i will be there next friday. Are you still coming and racing the pug? Phill

Pug_Power_Dave

Cool! yea good leads make all the differance!

Mabe i've got the wrong end of the stick! assumed it was % mixes you were on about, so 50% nos and 50% fuel, then if you changed it to 50% nos 40% fuel you're missing 10% of somthing! or is it jet sizes you mean? in which case just ignore me! :P

Yea still planning on popping along, will be running to if i get a change to treat my pug to a service, before then! and if you can bring those hubs to then i can use my sticky tyres!!

pip470

I will bring the hubs no problem, the numbers refer to the number or size of the jets. Im going to back to 1 to 1 with them, I did my first test run today and i cant wait for the weekend now. It pulled really well. See you there dave.

pip470

Well, where to start, I suppose with the good news, I managed a 13.9 1/4 mile at 99mph. I am very pleased. No thats an understatement, im over the moon.

The weather against all the odds stayed nice all weekend except for the down pour over saturday night which is ok as it dryed ok for the minis to run on the sunday. I turned up on the friday and met up with dave and also had my little brother with me. I started with my 14" wheels with yokahoma tyres 048s and did some practice runs to make sure the car was ok. All seemed great, i tried a little harder each run and assesing my timing slip after each run. My 60fts were fantastic, averaging 2.2 to 2.3 and even one 2.1, and i managed two runs in the 14.8 and 14.9 so was quite happy with the way the car was but its not as big as improvement as i had hoped for with the car, with the mods i had made I think this was down to quite a strong head wind and also that the car is very difficult to push on its own which i think is down to the diff now, so that in its self is sapping power. Any how, after 9 runs i decided to change the wheels to my two 10 inchers and try them after dinner. Thanks for dave and danny for being as efficient as a formula one team with the wheel changes. I did three runs and relised they just werent going to work out, I got good 60ft times but it didnt feel like i had. But i think what was making me slower was the fact i had to change into forth with these wheel on so had to factor that in to the time. they were also very juddery at the top end so i changed back as i felt a lot more comfertable and confident with the 14"s. So Now it was time for the nitrous. I started by activating it in third gear and using in third and forth to get me to the exit roud. As soon as i let of full throttle i switched the engine off and coasted in to the pit lane so i could do a plug check. The plugs were immaculate. Not shiney like they were over heated but definatly a bit lean. I decided to do a full run this time and and check them again. It never back fired and i couldnt hear it pinking so i carried on. I imagine the mixture was dead on perfect. My best time was 14.3 on 50/40 nitrous at 97mph. So it made a massive differance. On saturday night i changed the jets to 100/100 and decided to run the car only 3 times so that it had plenty of time too cool down, i remeber my engine man saying "you dont run the car long enough to worry about serious detenation" so with his words ringng in my ears i left the timing alone too. I also redid the in car cammera mount as the days filming was wasted due to vibration.

Saturday morning arrived and the car was ready, as i was tinkering i saw a guy looking at the car who then approached, I couldnt belive it when it was the guy who had sold me the car, he workes in the pizza van at the pod on shows, I think aidy was supprised at how his car had changed too, we chatted for a bit and he then went to get his lovely mi16 so we took some pics and had more of a chinwag. Will definatly catch up with him again. Top fella he is.

So with my girl friend and dennis another family member i set off to the fire up lane no knowing if it was going to blow up or not. First run was an instant trouser arouser lol, 14.1 @ 97. But its funny, i had improved dramaticly but all i could focus on now was a 13 sec run. two and half hours later and i did a 14.2, and then with the last run of the day at 16.52 did a nitrous burnout to effectivly get rid of the progressive controller so that when i hit full throttle it would be supplying 100% of what it could give. It was a good smooth start but the nitrous in first gear was awesome, and in second. It just made the engine an animal. And so it was a 13.9 @99. I will upload some pics soon and some video footage too, especially the 13.9 as i spanked a vauxhaul manaro in the process lol. Thanks for reading Phill

pip470

Mine and aidys car.

post-8104-1219186270_thumb.jpg

Pug_Power_Dave

It's really awesome mate! loads of time you knocked off! so whats next for the pug to get into the 12's!!!

Great to see ya down there anyways!

Tom Fenton

Good effort, I walked past your van/trailer early Sunday morning on the way for a piss but then when I was over that way later on you'd packed up and gone. Plenty more to come I'd say.

pip470

Thanks for the comments, well next is i suppose the thing to do is up the power of the nitrous which means upgrading some of the nitrous components i have and i would also like to have a better cooling system, but i think its going to be another cold febuary before it goes back out.

Heres a video one of my family made. Im still working on mine so will be up soon.

Cheers Phill

Rippthrough

Damned good read that Phill, on a side note, what do your rear discs weigh now?

-Phill

pip470

Cheers Phill, well the rear disks I never weighed because to be honest i dont think it will be that much differance. I will weigh one though next time I have the wheel off. I have finished my new video now but because i only used windows movie maker it has a limited amount of things I can do. It doesnt contain the in car vid of my 13.9 run as the video clip is 7 minutes long and movie maker dosent let you crop it. I will do another soon. Also on the run it looks like the monaro doesnt set off at the same time as me but I have a pic of us leaving together and his reaction time is .7 and mine is .5, He did get a 3 second 60ft though so he did have a bad start, stil in the words of f&f, "winings wining" lol

Heres the vid, Please leave a comment if you have time so it at least looks like its popular. How desparate!!!

Cheers Phill

Pug_Power_Dave

Nice one phill!

I'm famous now haha! Roll on feb! so how much nos you going to run then?

pip470

Cheers Dave, well the next step would be the 150 jets (75hp) but im going to upgrade some of my components like the supply line and maybe the fuel system so that i have the option to go to 200 (100hp). Ive been thinking about my diff too and i really dont think it should be as difficult to push in a straight line as it is. Can anyone tell me if the car psuhes as normall with an lsd. I may bight the bullet and oreder one too for feb. Heres the in car vid, Its not been cut down so skip to 2.00 mins and you should be about right. Cheers Phill

Rippthrough
Cheers Phill, well the rear disks I never weighed because to be honest i dont think it will be that much differance. I will weigh one though next time I have the wheel off.

Cheers, want to see how they compare to mine :):(