• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pip470

[trackday_prep] My 1/4 Mile And Trackday Project Car

cybernck

ooh, proper drag tyres!

will you have to get wheels inside the arches (or actually arches over the wheels) or is there no such requirement?

pip470

Ha Ha Thanks for the comments lads. Cheers for the bits dave, might be at santa pod this weekend if you fancy it, Cybernck theres no requirement in run what you brung, Im sure there would be rules in say the street legal class as obviosly it would be illegal with them. Im just doing it all for fun, I think it would be beneficial to have them covered though from the aerodynamic point of view but i think they may even be too wide for dimma arches. Will look into that another time. Ive got to be carefull to not open too many jobs because its easy for it to get out of controll and ill never be able to race because it wont be finished. I fitted my base model callipers and disks tonight to check if they clear these wheels and they do by the closest of margins, Think i will just grind some off the caliper for safety. Should have some pics by the end of the week of the full set up. Cheers Phill

Pug_Power_Dave

lol yea you just got it finished dont go taking it all apart again! cant do this weekend at the pod as im away, but think im going to be down there on the sunday the 25th of this month for the fia main event top fuel stuff with a couple of buddies if you're there!

pip470

Ok just another quick update, I worked out my ratios for the 1.9 box with the 13" wheels, here they are

1st = 36mph

2nd= 57

3rd= 78

4th=100

5th= 123

These are all with a 6500 change up, That means if im nearing 100 which i hope to be I can leave it in 4th untill 7500. I think it was a good descision not using the 4.43 final drive as this would of gave me a top speed of 115 in 5th but it has an extra gear change. I also put a bit of paint on it for the b*ll sh*t factor,

Ive trial fitted all the brakes too with new disks and pads and started machining them tonight. The hub disk and caliper with pads weigh 11.8 before machining, will update when ive finnished what it ends up at. As for that ive fitted the nos bottle and the smaller fuel tank back in the boot and not in the pasenger foot well as in the picture, I did want it there but the floor is all over the place. I think i will move the battery up there though.

More soon Thanks Phill

post-8104-1211319049_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1211320304_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1211320372_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1211320388_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1211320408_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1211320423_thumb.jpg

pip470

The welded diff

post-8104-1211320519_thumb.jpg

Pug_Power_Dave

Looking really good mate, oooh all that extra weight with the paint :D haha

Hmmm silly sticker for the NOS bottle needed thou!

Like one of those have a nice day yellow faces with a big cheesy grin or sumthing lol

pip470

Just a pic of my disks, the fronts have had 10mm taken of the radius and 2mm of the thickness, I then used a dividing head to drill 6mm holes in. The rears are tarox g88's that ive had from a previous 205, again i only took 5mm off the radius and 1mm from one of the faces. I never drilled as many holes as the grovees were proving dificult to drill and i snapped two drill bits in the process. Just got to have the oblong hole where i attemted to drill out the broken bleed nipple repaired now and skim the furthest point of the caliper (the bit closest to the wheel) as this bit just catches on the wheels. I could of fitted spacers but why add weight when you can lose weight and solve the same problem. When i trial fitted it all it didnt catch but scince putting new pads in it just catches. Will try and get my new arches fitted this weekend too.

post-8104-1211581408_thumb.jpg

pip470

Another quick update, started bleading the brakes tonight but was in a rush to get to work so never finished it, I did how ever move it with the new welded diff and it definatly moved which is a bonus. just trying to remove the anti roll bar but it doesnt look like it can be done with the subframe in situ. So here are some pics. Racing is planned for the 15, 16 august so still loads of preperation time. Cheers Phill

post-8104-1214347989_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1214348244_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1214348296_thumb.jpg

guffe

I'm eager to hear how that welded diff works.

Have you thought about lighten the doors? They weight quite a bit...

Edited by guffe

Pug_Power_Dave

Looking pretty brutal Phill!! gotta be one of the widest 205's about lol!

Looking forward to seeing it in action!!

Tom Fenton

Looks good Phil. I'm hoping to run at Santa Pod on the 5th of July to try the car out this year, few mods done over the winter.

smighall

You can get the ARB out with removing the subframe, i did it yesterday on mine. Just take out the 4 bolts at the back of the subframe and loosen off the ones about the wishbones, this gives plenty of room to squeeze it out the back of the subframe :(

pip470

Thanks for the replys, Managed to take the anti roll bar out like you said smighall. Also bled the brakes and took it round the street. It turns ok consdiering the diff is locked and the wide tyres, heavy as you'd expect but at the minute its tracking to the left so that will need looking at. At least its going and stopping. Ill see you there then tom, ill make sure i come and say hello. Theres Only really the plumbing to a makeshift radiator now to do. Phill

cybernck

btw, just noticed the tyres are different left and right?

pip470

Good spot cybernck, thats will be ammended before the next race, i will have two wets on the front as they are a softer compound and should be able to get them up to temperature in a short burn out. Ive actually borrowed these wheels of a friend because its an expensive mistake if they dont work out. My first runs will be done with standard 1.6 alloys with 048s and then i will change the the wide ones after, I have a feeling they are overkill at the moment with only 126hp on tap but i want them to fit now with the onset of nitrous and i bit of a play with the engine. Cheers Phill

cybernck

yeah i was also going to say they'll be an overkill with the present amount of power.

but i'm REALLY interested to see what kind of ET's will you be able to get now!

i couldn't tell from the pics if you've lightened the doors, tailgate etc yet though?

pip470

Hi cybernck, i have lightened the drivers door as i ordered the two front windows in perspex but one accidently got broke in transit so thats why ive only done the drivers side, and the boot has also had all its internalls removed.

Just a quick vid of the car actually turning with the locked diff which a lot of my mates said would be impossible especially with those wide tyres.

Enjoy cheers Phill

pip470

I need help, here is my situation, i have a astra van which is a bit of a work horse, i just chull all my tools in the back and use it to tow my pug to the pod and my everyday bus. I hate it, i hate putting £1.32 a litre of fuel to drive everywhere slowly, i hate it every time i need to buy something new, in the last 6 months ive done the clutch, both bottom arms, both drop links, hand brake cables, oil change, two clutch cables, and the alternator died on monday so its got a new one of those too now. But, I need it to tow the peugeot. I have the peugeot, which ive used once this year, i had a great time and loved everyminut of it but ive spent about £2000 scince setting out on my weight saving quest for half a second and got completely sucked in to the whole aspect and complexity of drag racing, which has funny enough meant ive done less drag racing and spent hundreds of hours building things such as the braking system which is all dead money, no one will buy these brakes, they can only be used in drag racing nothing else. And i have a vauxhaul corsa with a redtop engine, it has a 3 page mot failure sheet but its only really niggles and when i drove it, i fell in love with the engine. Im ashamed itsa corsa, i cant get past the chavvy image that i will portray when sat at the lights, im embarresed. However, I am lucky enough to be good friends with an engineering shop that builds redtop race engines, whilst stood in the dyno cell trying to record a vidoe and getting deffaned by the sound of one of these engines sat under load at 9000 rpm, I fell in love. He produces 280hp on standard cranks and carbs for the class he races in and i think unfortunatly a corsa is the smallest lightest thing to put it in. My plan is to use it on the roa, on the track and on the qaurter mile. The corsa is easily quicker than my 15 sec car at the minute as it is. So heres my dilema, i was outside working on the pug fitting some of the new goodies i had, it was on/off raining all day, but i didnt care, i was falling in love with working on the pug, it was all making sense again, I was admiring every mod i had done, people look at the car and cant see that nearly every component on the car has been thought about to be optimised for the quarter mile. I want to take it as far as i can take it. Then i go full circle again when i have to get in my van and drive to work. With the price of fuel, i want to enjoy every mile. (miles per smiles and all that). So that is my dillema. Any advice much appreciated although i have a feeling asking on a 205 forum the oppions may be biased. Here some pics of todays progress. Cheers Phill

post-8104-1215814230_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1215814242_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1215814254_thumb.jpg

welshpug

you haven't see the money needed to make an engine like that last though have you :)

I like the XE, but IMO the 16v XU beats it quite easily, read this on engine buolder Guy Croft's site recently;

S16 or XE - if I was rallying, I know which one I'd use...in general terms the Peugeot flows more in standard trim than the XE does fully modified

if you can afford to keep the 205 project going and you enjoy it then keep at it IMO, how about returning the 205 to a spec that you can use on the road? so you can remind yourself what great heritage the chassis has :)

pip470

Thanks welsh pug, the 205 unfortunatly has passed the point of no return with regards to making it road legal, the shell is very rotten and the work involved would take me a lifetime to get it through an mot, like i say the brakes arent even road legal as i have machined them on the lathe to below the minnimum wear level. The thing with that statement is its very loose, i very much doubt that the xu head will flow more than a fully modiied xe head and what is fully modified, nothing is ever fully modified is it? Going slightly off topic there. I could build the xe on a budget as a lot of his customers want new every race season especially if he has changed the design of anything, even if the parts are fine which leaves pistons and rods plentyfull on the shelves, Standard internals get thrown away along with cams, alternators, hydraulic lifters valves springs, so even if i was to keep it standard and carry on with nitrous parts are plentyful. This doesnt mean ive made up my mind im just playin devils advocate, On another point, on most of the rallys ive been to the majority ive seen are xe's. You cant dobt that they are a good engine, and i think the debate will go on for ever but i am more xe than xu, The thought of an xe in a pug has crossed my mind but im not that skilled. I wish this was easy. I dont want to live with regret.

pip470

Sorry just to add, kepping the 205 may not seem like it will cost me anything but it means then i have to keep the van too just to tow it and theres no room for 3 vehicles.

I could always borrow a van and trailer for the race weekends though

Edited by pip470

cybernck

oooh, nitrous at last! :)

sell the van and keep them both small and fast cars then? :)

pip470

Right did a couple of jobs and i intend to get a good week on the car as i still have loads i want to get done. Heers a progress pic on the nitrous.

post-8104-1216589000_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1216589016_thumb.jpg

gti-si

It's looking good mate. Really interested to see what kind of results your gonna get with this

pip470
It's looking good mate. Really interested to see what kind of results your gonna get with this

Thanks si, alot of people are very interested, i think secretly they all think im going to blow my engine up, even if it does fail though, it will only make me look at why it failed instead of just blaming the nitrous.

Just a pic of the throttle switch today.

Phill

post-8104-1216766019_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1216766048_thumb.jpg