• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

What Cars Did The 8v Turbo Engine Come In?

sonofsam

Nope, my engine came from a 406, so its more than likely a RGX(150hp) as opposed

to the RGY(140ish) found in XM's, 605's etc.

But the loom will likely be more chunky also, atleast mine is, compared to a PH1 XM loom

I have sitting in the garage.

Just make sure you unlock the ecu before removing the engine from the car.

If it has keypad immobiliser that is.

24seven

good stuff, thanks :huh:.

Mikey G

My Xantia made 174bhp and 200lb/ft on 0.8 bar of boost with standard eprom and MBC fitted, tried to get close to the 1 bar cutoff but managment light came on. I could of gone to 0.9 bar and maybe seen through 180bhp easily.

That is a lot of torque in a 205 and i cant wait to get Stu's going with this conversion :huh:

johnrobertgordon
I know mate and I've told you before, its becuase you were running a bleed valve.

Completely disregarding the standard boost control :)

I know how good the ECU is, why do you think im in no hurry to ditch it :D

Just made a little vid of mine, only when I played it back did I realise I should of kept the window

wound up all the time :huh:

Small clip going on youtube anyway later :P yeh the sound is very nice indeed B)

Mate, I only ran a bleed valve for a while then binned it as I was s*it scared of the limp home mode rumer....... remembering it had already cost me £250 to have the ecu reconditioned and unlocked. When I took Bales out there was no bleed valve on the car.

johnrobertgordon
any reason why this conversion wuld be harder from a 406 donor car? or are they all the same. found a 406 cheapcheapcheap nearby.

There is a HUGE reason why you should go for a peugot donor car and not a citroen.

Peugeot looms are numbered and colour coded.............Citroen looms have no numbers and only use 2 colours, green and red! :huh:

sonofsam

NO numbers on my loom!

Im as vexed as TEKNO then as to why you experienced so much wheel spin?!

inferno
There is a HUGE reason why you should go for a peugot donor car and not a citroen.

Peugeot looms are numbered and colour coded.............Citroen looms have no numbers and only use 2 colours, green and red! :huh:

But... citroens are generally cheeper, and theres always the pinouts on the relay/ecu ect to work with, who needs numbers!

but only green n red wires?! eh theres blue green white grey and probly a few more on my loom... :S

Mikey G

Theres numbers on Stu's Xantia loom but they mean nothing so i just got the meter out and found out for myself :huh:

sonofsam

^Yes exactly the right way to go about things.

It's all in the injection double relay pinouts :huh:

but only green n red wires?! eh theres blue green white grey and probly a few more on my loom... :S

All the colours of the rainbow on mine too :)

Edited by sonofsam

24seven

so what's the differene between an 8V turbo head and an xu5/9 head? just curious because I have a spare XU5/9 head in good shape, and was thinking there might be a small chance that it's a better flowing head and is compatible with the 2.0 iron block. Wishful thinking?

one last question, how well do the 406 8V turbo engines do on high mileage? this one I'm looking at has about 140k on the clock, another with 120k (for teh budget I've got, I doubt I can be that picky with mileage really). are they good stong reliable lumps? or would a rebuild be a neccesity?

Edited by 24Seven

Mikey G

I think the XU10 head has bigger valves and better ports than an XU5/9 head.

As for mileage, the one i just stripped from a Xantia had covered 89k miles and is hardly touched as far as wear is concerned! these motors are hardly used to their full potential in the executive cars they come out of. I know someone with a Xantia with over 175k miles on it and is now having issues with it and is looking for a replacement.

Personaly would you put a 120k+ mileage engine in your car without stripping it to check first? could be a more costly problem in the long run if you put your motor in and it starts smoking/knocking within the first few k's.

24seven

true. spose it won't be so hard to check over once it's out of the car. I have a big mental block about taking things apart taht are already working, just to see if they're ok. with me that's a guaranteed way of breaking something.

bales
Thats why it makes it a bad choice as a PERFORMANCE engine. Its engineered to slog down motorways everyday.

By the time you turn it into a PERFORMANCE engine you will have raplaced all the major components, being left with only the standard block...

Its for this reason I stand by my feelings saying that the MI16 is a cheaper and easier route when considering an engine upgrade.

Right am a bit slow to this thread as I have been away all weekend.

How can you say that the xu9 is a better performance engine when the xu10 has a better flowing head, a better shaped combustion chamber and a very strong bottom end. Surely that is the constituents for a better performance engine?

Why is it strange that the xu10cjte only has 150bhp?

Like most things in life things always come down to a compromise, do you not think 175 ish lb/ft of torque @ 2500rpm has something to do with why perhaps it doesn't rev much past 5000rpm?

That is a lot of torque at low revs for moderate boost levels on a older 2v per cylinder engine, of course it is compromised by the exhaust housing, that is why it doesn't rev very well past 6k or whatever, but that is because the engine wasn't designed too.

Their is a fair few people in germany with a different turbo and manifold who are running 300bhp on standard internals, that is very impressive when you look at the service intervals on say an evo or a impreza with similar power.

It isn't designed as a performance engine obviously but thats not to say it wont make a good base for one, surely just by changing the manifold and turbo and possibly cam you would get a completely different engine delivery, it wont have the same low down torque as the existing engine but thats the compromise that you make.

I know teknopug was comparing it to the xu9 tt engine and saying that it makes less power that the tt even with all its modern managment and better flowing head etc....but i would bet a fair amount that if you ran them at the same boost levels with the same exhaust manifold and turbine housing that the xu10 would make much more power than the tt.

TEKNOPUG
Right am a bit slow to this thread as I have been away all weekend.

How can you say that the xu9 is a better performance engine when the xu10 has a better flowing head, a better shaped combustion chamber and a very strong bottom end. Surely that is the constituents for a better performance engine?

Why is it strange that the xu10cjte only has 150bhp?

Like most things in life things always come down to a compromise, do you not think 175 ish lb/ft of torque @ 2500rpm has something to do with why perhaps it doesn't rev much past 5000rpm?

That is a lot of torque at low revs for moderate boost levels on a older 2v per cylinder engine, of course it is compromised by the exhaust housing, that is why it doesn't rev very well past 6k or whatever, but that is because the engine wasn't designed too.

Their is a fair few people in germany with a different turbo and manifold who are running 300bhp on standard internals, that is very impressive when you look at the service intervals on say an evo or a impreza with similar power.

It isn't designed as a performance engine obviously but thats not to say it wont make a good base for one, surely just by changing the manifold and turbo and possibly cam you would get a completely different engine delivery, it wont have the same low down torque as the existing engine but thats the compromise that you make.

I know teknopug was comparing it to the xu9 tt engine and saying that it makes less power that the tt even with all its modern managment and better flowing head etc....but i would bet a fair amount that if you ran them at the same boost levels with the same exhaust manifold and turbine housing that the xu10 would make much more power than the tt.

The XU10 has a better flowing head in theory only, certainly there are as many people who say that it is better as there are those who say that it isnt. Until someone runs back to back rr runs using an identical engine but with both the XU9 & XU10 heads and can achieve consistently better results, then the jury is still out as far as I am concerned. The limitation of the manifold doesnt make itself apparent until after 190bhp, so merely changing this will not increase the power on a stock XU10. The limitation of the engine (or rather why it is 20+bhp down on the XU9 is more to do with the cam and the power delivery). They already run the same boost so switching to a TT turbo wont make much difference.

If you are suggesting that changing the cam, manifold and turbo, you will get a much better engine then you are just confirming what I have already said. Consider that you went the above route: youd need to pay for the engine, plus all the hassle of fitting it, then pay for and fit a new cam, turbo and manifold. Or you could just start with your XU9, buy the manifold and turbo and away you go. Its a no brainer, especially as Vern (?) did exactly that and saw over 230bhp on less than 1bar. Do you suppose that an XU10 engine would perform significantly better than that?? Admittedly the iron block will be a better base for in excess of 250bhp but do you really want a 250+bhp 205??? Also, consider that you have to change the turbo, manifold, cam, have the car remapped as well as many other smaller parts to achieve that, you may as well just fit forged pistons to an XU9 and be done with it.

24seven

changed my mind for the last time now. I'm gonna Mi my 205 on 1.6 box. thanks for all your replies and advice.

TEKNOPUG

I thought that you wanted a fast car though?

johnrobertgordon

So what do you sugest then Technopug? An Audi s2 perhaps?? lol.

TEKNOPUG

No - I would never suggest that to anyone else - they are my little secret!

Sign in to follow this