• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

What Cars Did The 8v Turbo Engine Come In?

johnrobertgordon

Yes

24seven

score! there's an SRTI locally that I've seen for sale, but wasn't sure if it would have teh right engine. I'll go look on my way to work.

24seven

bookmarked, thanks ;)

Super Josh
I found even the 1.9 box to be too long on mine.

Surely you mean 'Too short'?

Both the Mi and 2.0 T are fairly quick, in standard form. The 2.0 T is definitely cheaper to get serious BHP and even more serious Torque from. I think what you need to decide is what kind of power delivery you like from a 205? Maybe drive a Turbo and an Mi before parting with any cash ;) I had a low mileage 2.0 T ready to go in my car, but changed to an MI because I think that is more in keeping with the whole 205 character of revy power delivery.

Josh

24seven

I want smooth deliverable-at-any-RPM power. I'd consider an Mi in the future just to see what all the fuss is about ;), but for now I want it smooth and hard... make of that what you will.

Henry Yorke

My CTI versus Carls track 205 GTI6 at Llandow recently

Not a lot in it, but I wasn't at silly RPM as there was no point. This is in a "heavy" CTI with the "flawed" turbo manifold and the "tiny" turbo that only runs half a bar on "standard" 406 Motronic mangement with the cat still on etc (parts in quotes are apparently all downsides to the performance if you search on here!)

There is a post on all the Motronic 3.2 ECU's for this engine that is in the engine management section, so that tells you which cars have this engine (some are non turbo's though).

The 1.6 box is a silly idea! My CTI was almost like that and whilst it was frantic, all you got was loads of wheelspin and spending half of your 0-60 time with your foot on the clutch changing gear, so I reckon it was slower. There will probably be a video on my Youtube where it span wheels in 5th. I now have a 1.9 1st to 3rd and a longer 4th and 5th. Cruises at 70mph at 3k rpm which is spot on. Dead economical and you don't have to thrash it to get the most out of it. Best modification I ever did!

TEKNOPUG

You win a cake ;)

Super Josh
You win a cake ;)

Can I have a Boost bar instead :blink::P:D:D

Josh

TEKNOPUG

Only if you have a turbo. Otherwise you'll have to settle for the Cadbury's NA bar.

johnrobertgordon

Since I now own a Clio can I have a Flake.....due to the typical rear arch rust these things suffer from.

van cleef

I've just went out and bought a turbo lump from a 605.

I started with the idea with buying a mi but even though it's a 309 gti i thought that i did'nt seem many people have tried putting the turbo into the bigger gti and fancied something different.

I'm still kinda curious though to what kind of animal will come from the conversion as i've never even experienced the engine in a 205.

sonofsam

Both the Mi and 2.0 T are fairly quick, in standard form. The 2.0 T is definitely cheaper to get serious BHP and even more serious Torque from. I think what you need to decide is what kind of power delivery you like from a 205? Maybe drive a Turbo and an Mi before parting with any cash :) I had a low mileage 2.0 T ready to go in my car, but changed to an MI because I think that is more in keeping with the whole 205 character of revy power delivery.

Josh

What could be more in keeping than an 8V Turbo ;) Granted the XU10T is not that revvy(a different cam/throttle bodies would change that though), but I would compare it to my old 1.9, but I guess lots on here prefer the 1.6,.so..

Overboost is seriously good fun, and my car feels very quick, doesnt wheelspin or torque steer either :D

It can be whatever kind of animal you want to make/drive it like IMO. :)

sonofsam
I want smooth deliverable-at-any-RPM power. I'd consider an Mi in the future just to see what all the fuss is about :), but for now I want it smooth and hard... make of that what you will.

Well then you have chosen wisely young warrior.

TEKNOPUG

Overboost is seriously good fun, and my car feels very quick, doesnt wheelspin or torque steer either :)

It's clearly broken in that case as my will t/s in third, even with tall gearing and a trick diff!

sonofsam

There's me thinking, finally got it running sweet!

TEKNOPUG
There's me thinking, finally got it running sweet!

What spec engine/boost/management are you running?

sonofsam

406 Turbo(RGX)Standard management, 0.5bar/ 0.7 on overboost. Soon to be chipped upto 1bar! retaining boost regulator solenoid = 186hp.

Super Josh
What could be more in keeping than an 8V Turbo :)

It's a completely different power delivery than either a 1.6 or 1.9 standard XU :) I don't see any comparison apart from the fact they are both 8 valve, one an iron block and the other 2 alloy block wet liners. How is fitting a Turbo lump 'more in keeping'? At least an Mi is the same revy engine, just with a little more grunt. Now that is 'more in keeping' ;)

Josh

bales
It's a completely different power delivery than either a 1.6 or 1.9 standard XU :) I don't see any comparison apart from the fact they are both 8 valve, one an iron block and the other 2 alloy block wet liners. How is fitting a Turbo lump 'more in keeping'? At least an Mi is the same revy engine, just with a little more grunt. Now that is 'more in keeping' :)

Josh

I don't really agree, I wouldn't call my 1.9 revvy and I think (from what I have heard about the mi16) that you lose some of the mid-range that defines the 8v engine.

When i drive my 205 (n/a) I like that fact that you can make good progress without having to rev it round and you drive about on that 3-5k rev band where the meat of the powerband is.

From peoples descriptions of the mi16 you don't seem to have that, whereas I think the 8v turbo

is like the standard power delivery but just more everywhere.

veloce200

I drove a 406 turbo the other day and whilst it had great low down torque it was positively wheezy at 5k plus. I suspect this is due to the cam, inlet manifold exhaust etc. Personally I think turboing an xu9ja is a better bet although dearer

24seven

can someone please tell me why these 2 605 engines look so different.

I'm told both are 2.0 8V turbos...

Edited by 24Seven

veloce200
can someone please tell me why these 2 605 engines look so different.

I'm told both are 2.0 8V turbos...

top one turbo bottom one 2.2 16v at a guess - certainly not a turbo though

24seven

ok good, thanks. the first one is the one I'd been more inclined to go for anyway, but was curious about the 2nd one as it's a LOT closer to home.

TEKNOPUG
406 Turbo(RGX)Standard management, 0.5bar/ 0.7 on overboost. Soon to be chipped upto 1bar! retaining boost regulator solenoid = 186hp.

Oh OK - you aren't currently running a lot of torque at the moment, so that would explain it.

Edited by TEKNOPUG

Sign in to follow this