• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

What Cars Did The 8v Turbo Engine Come In?

24seven

I'm bored of all my friends having faster cars than me, so I want to 8V turbo my 205 for the summer. which cars had this engine in them standard?

also how difficult a swap is it? my intention is to buy a donor car with all teh wiring etc intact and do the swap that way, retaining my 1.6 gearbox if possible.

Edited by 24Seven

welshpug

406, xantia, XM.

and you dont want a 1.6 gearbox with a turbo engine, waaay too short.

24seven

thanks.

specifically about the swap, what's needed regarding the loom? mechanically I reckon I can manage fine, I'm just a bit unsure about the loom.

TEKNOPUG

SEARCH....been covered 50 billion times.....

johnrobertgordon
I'm bored of all my friends having faster cars than me, so I want to 8V turbo my 205 for the summer. which cars had this engine in them standard?

also how difficult a swap is it? my intention is to buy a donor car with all teh wiring etc intact and do the swap that way, retaining my 1.6 gearbox if possible.

It would be cheaper and easier to fit an MI16 engine.

TEKNOPUG

If you were doing it, for sure!! :ph34r:

But then how could he blow his mates away in a fury of boost?? I don't think that you've thought it through properly John.......

max0

im fitting a 2.0 turbo from a xm with the 1.6 box ill report back and let you know how I find it.

inferno

i dissagree! both are cheep and easy!

Do a search, specificly using the author function with sonofsam in it! Or check out my posts if you wanna giggle, all the infos in both aswell as others. turbo IS the way forward though :)

RE the 1.6 box, ill be the first to say 'i told you so' when you find it too short. from experience the gti6 box would be useless without the 6th gear for any kind 60-70mph roads. these turbo engines have plenty of low down tourque, so your mate with the 1.6 box mi16 will not have such an advantage with the turbo and 1.9/derv box.

Edited by inferno

johnrobertgordon
i dissagree! both are cheep and easy!

Do a search, specificly using the author function with sonofsam in it! Or check out my posts if you wanna giggle, all the infos in both aswell as others. turbo IS the way forward though :)

How can you say turbo is the way forward? you aint even finnished yours and you took a hammer to the car the otherday........bodes well for your argument dont it!

sonofsam
jeez.jpg

johnrobertgordon

Nahhh Sam not this s*it again. It's what ever floats your boat. Turbos are good as are mi16's as are v6 conversions.

But Inferno's comment pissed me off as the guy aint done nothing but moan about his, put it up for sale as an UNFINNISHED project and then posted stupid pictures of his now battered 205 turbo with the quote "well ive started to hammer tune my 205 turbo..."

johnrobertgordon
these turbo engines have plenty of low down tourque, so your mate with the 1.6 box mi16 will not have such an advantage with the turbo and 1.9/derv box.

Wrong, I had a 2.0 turbo with a 1.9 box. I am sure Bales will vouch for me when I say that when it was finnaly put right by me it was running ok.

I had several drag races with my mates 205 MI16, he has a 1.6 box.

From a standing start I would lurch ahead of him and take an early lead in the race...... right up till the point where I would go for second gear. He would then start pulling away from me. It was not my gear changes as we tried many times and all with the same result. When both cars were up to speed there was a few meters gap and it stayed pretty constant, i'm sure at top speed I would have started gainning on him but we ran out of road.

We tried mid range too, crusing at around 60mph in 3rd gear, foot to the board then and see who pulls away, it was very close but the MI would always win.

My final word on this matter will be this......What is the MI16 engine engineered for and what is the 2.0 Turbo engineered for. Answer that question and then decide what you want your 205 for.

inferno
How can you say turbo is the way forward? you aint even finnished yours and you took a hammer to the car the otherday........bodes well for your argument dont it!

If you dont like my opinion, after considering this is my third pug turbo, (and the unfinished forsale had a good reason behind it, as with the hammer tuning), and ive put more mi16 engines in than i care to count (again), then dont take notice of it :) but i think im qualified to say TURBO is the way forward!

however note i dont do track days, and i enjoy late night and long distance driving blats...

re the gearbox thing, i see what your saying racing with an mi16 on a 1.6 box v's a turbo on a 1.9 box, but put the turbo on a 1.6 box and your going to fall further behind the mi16, purely because the turbo runs out of puff so soon and the mi revs a lot higher.

Edited by inferno

johnrobertgordon

I don't know about a 1.6 box on a turbo, Would be nice to try it but the ratios are a bit short. I remember being really pissed of on motorways with only a 1.9 on a 1600 box, gawd knows what it would be like on the turbo.

24seven

all I'm hoping for is out and out acceleration really. top speed and motorway cruising isn't what I'm interested in, nor are the comforts of a daily commute. Also I got the impression that the turbo engine was cheaper to tune mildly than the Mi16, corect me if I'm wrong.

sonofsam

I use mine for daily commuting aswell and it's road manners are great, off boost is fine for cruising round town! On boost is a very smooth delivery with bucketloads of low>mid range torque

Cheaper to tune, fo sure ( although someone will no doubt want to disagree :) )

So far I have spent roughly 500 quid on a T3/TT manifold and a chip, which will see well over 200hp

and how many poeple come on here in a quest to yeild more torque from there Mi16 :o

Both engines built to pull barges :D

Like Nike says : Just do it!

johnrobertgordon
Cheaper to tune, fo sure ( although someone will no doubt want to disagree ;) )

No not me, £ per BHP Turbos will always be cheaper, Its not like you can just wang up the boost on a NA car is it? :blink:

tom_m
No not me, £ per BHP Turbos will always be cheaper, Its not like you can just wang up the boost on a NA car is it? ;)

lol thats not a cheap way to tune a turbo, thats a quick way to melt pistons :blink:

TEKNOPUG

1.6 box will be too short on the turbo lump itll be spinning in the first 3 gears and youll have to keep shifting up before you can take advantage of the torque spread. Not to mention the torque-steer. Might just get away with it with the XU10 in girly standard form. But for anything running decent power, it will be hopeless. I found even the 1.9 box to be too long on mine.

24seven

I'm aiming for around 180bhp reallistically. all I need is a donor car now and the various other bits to do the swap. Thanks guys.

bales

I think that realistically if you make a decent exhaust and induction system with a good intercooler, and get a remapped eprom you should see 180bhp without too much of a problem.

Thats what I plan to do anyway, I think the difference with these engines is that they have so much torque in comparison to a mi16 and from low revs that they feel very quick when perhaps in an absolute straight line drag they aren't that fast. However its not very often that you are in that situation so I think that for everday drivavbility they are great.

Also if you work out what the torque to weight ratio is with these engines in a 205 (which is what gives you that instant pull in every gear) they are ridicously high in comparison to many cars today.

So for a pure trackday car or in an drag race with a similar mi16 they might not be that fast but if thats not what the car is used for then I think it is a good conversion and in about 3 weeks I should be able to tell you properely when mine is finally running.

Alex

johnrobertgordon
lol thats not a cheap way to tune a turbo, thats a quick way to melt pistons ;)

I belive the bottom end on the xu10 T was strong enough to take circa 300bhp at around 2 bar. You can run as much boost as you like as long as you have a safe mixture.

TEKNOPUG

When my TT was first released back in the day, it was quicker between 50-70 than the current 911 Turbo.

Its all about the torque ;)

24seven

quick question, did the 605 have the turbo engine in as well?

Sign in to follow this