• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

[trackday_prep] My 205 GTI-6 Supercharged Track Car

Spiky

simple but affective

one rivet and two washers..lol

projectpug

Spiky having problems again with my RJ Steering arms i fitted mine exactly as compbrake explained. However i now hve lots of play on the front right RJ the one nearest the sump. I fitted the RJ into the thread without the locknut as told because that was the only way to clear the anto roll bar however now i have play in that thread on the rose joint and the end of the arm. It is turned all the way in bar 1 turn so there is no room for a nut i cant understand why as the otherside is fine and also the offside left hand RJ is also as tight as a very tight thing. Does this arm need returning to compbrake for repair. There is absolutely no pay between the RJ and the Bolts that hold them in. Ive just set upto all the camber aswell so its a bit of a bit to say the least. Any one any ideas?

projectpug

looks as though i do have play in the rose joint aswell so going to replace it see if that helps things at all.

Spiky

he told me to not run a nut too.

but i decided that was not a good idea,

hence iu welded one rj in place and trimmed about 6mm off the arm and kept the nut, as you can see in my pics,

on doing this i extended the inesert at the hub end out 10mm to ofset the movement of the arm

ring them back up dude,

and tell him they still dont fit

i cant see these fitting any 205 even though he assures me they have fitted others (many)

?

is your car lowered much?

any pics of your car (showing height)

and any pics of the arms fitted

projectpug

Hi Spiky,

Car is lowered 50mm so a fair hike, I will get some pics up of them tomo. I have sent them back once already for modifying. They now clear fine but without the nut it seems you can generate enough play on slicks to cause wear. Only prob is im on track again next week so need fix it preferabley at home. I have a couple of spare roses from compbrake, Im thinking of maybe welding it or a very thin nut as i have manage to get it to fit with 2 threads showing then hopefully could tighten this up. Not great though i must admit i caused my rack damage to me thinks as it was ok untill the arms went on , i have a recon rack in now and its felling but cant fully test untill next week.

Thanks

Phil

Spiky

thats why i didn't like the idea of not running nuts

well we modded mine to fit, as i couldn't be bothered to send them back, as he plainly cant see that it's his arms are at fault

looks like your in the same boat as me.

VisaGTi16v

Bit off topic but just to add my 2 cents heh. My works sister company is a precision engineering firm and they said I should deffinately use nuts else you will get wear in the threads. I had to buy these myself after originally being sent the wrong handed RJ's then asked twice for nuts when correct RJ's were sent but just kept saying they werent needed (probably due to clearance issues). I have decided to remove my front arb anyway as an experiment so I am fine clearance wise and will be running nuts, just hope the RJ's last and I cant see how anyone could fit them without modification like you had to do Spiky

pdd144c

Use a different ARB?

Spiky

that is the answer to all the problems,

or compression struts (think thats what they called

Spiky

ok, to clarify what changes i have done here is a picture

rj-1.jpg

welshpug

have both inner joint's been moved inwards the same amount?

would a half nut be enough to lock them in place?

Spiky

the bottom left has be trimmed the same thickness as the new size nut, so that the arms sits on the car the same

that nut is still hefty enough to hold it in place

VisaGTi16v

Can you suggest any other ARB's Paul, they will need to be quite a different bend. Vaguely related note, do you know anywhere that actually makes custom ones as I could do with one for the back of the Visa heh

Spiky: Have you used them on track yet? Made an improvement to the handling if so? Do you know what exact castor and camber settings you are using?

Spiky

not used anywhere yet dude, apart from to afrom the MOT stations 500 yrds away

i'm taking the car to the ring tonight so will soon see

i'm also taking my std 309 wishbones, should i have an issues

castor i dont know

camber we have checked

and with out home made gauge i have 3 wheels showing -1 and front n/s showing aroudn -1.5

will get it setup properly once i'm happy they are ok to use,

failing that, i'm going to copy a set of GRP puegoets one's :)

maybe i'll make a few...lol

VisaGTi16v

Good idea taking 309 arms heh, I will do the same when I roll my thing out again next year!

pdd144c

We developed a 25mm front ARB, although they require a bracket to be welded onto the lower arms. Will also need some drop links made up, as I no longer have any rose joints to suit. They mount using the original mounting holes but underneath. See here for some pics etc: http://www.xsportracing.com/news.php?viewarticle&id=13

We can make a custom one if need Darren, would need the car though!

VisaGTi16v

Cheers, see PM

Spiky

that looks a nice bit of kit :)

projectpug

Right an update, just finished messing about in the garage with them. I have turned the RJ in so they are very very tight, clears Roll bar fine etc. Had to shave the back of the thread of the RJ as it started to foul the ARB. Did the same both sides i now have 0 play and it feels good. My only problem is i am now running less camber than before as my outer RJ the one attached to the hub is nearly fully wound out. I am going to get it tracked/Camber check tomorrow so if i get around 1.5 degrees i wil leave it as taht any less and i need a longer threaded RJ if thats possible or get one custome made?

Oh yeah and the new rack makes a world of difference not a bad job to do either TBH.

Cheers

Phil

PS Spiky have a good safe time at the ring :)

Spiky

when you say almost wound out? how much thread is inside the arm???

VisaGTi16v

projectpug: Good that you have it fitted, bad that you cant use them as they were described for use, may as well put 309 arms on or something :)

projectpug

Im going to have them checked by DTweeks this morning see how much im running and also to reset my tracking with the new rack in. I will let you know what i have.

Regarding your question Spiky- I have just enough thread inside to prevent any slop how many threads exactly i can't remember but not a lot hence why i cant wind them out any more without feeling that it will cause damage with excessive play etc. How much thread would you reccomend inside?

Your arms must of been eactly like mine by the looks of the modifications i did send mine back once already for modifying the left hand inner was trimmed down and the rose joint shortened so it didnt still out too much but i had to shorten it down even more to get it to fit still.

I will be trying them out again before i readjusted them i had 1.7 degrees on the front either side. This made even tyre wear on R888s which i wanted and was not far off with S9 slicks either (i have a slight issue with slicks too couldnt get heat into the rear ones so made the car immensely twitchy 15 degree temp day dry conditions smooth anglesey surface) ). Also seemed to work very well in the wet with my khumo v700 softs on much less tyre edge wear.

Thanks

Phil

welshpug

surely they would have made them so they would just fit straight on, and you could return them as unfit for purpose if they didn't?!

enjoy the trip Spiky :)

projectpug

It's quite obvious to me that they themselves have ever fitted one to a 205 before. This is where all the issues are coming from. They also mentioned that mainly 205 owners without a ARB have had them fitted and hence why no fitting problems. The way forward definately looks like Xsports 205 with the ARB attached to the Arms viaa universal droplinks. This would allow me to rut 2 nits on my inner arms givviun me all the extra camber i need :lol:

welshpug

yeah, should b fine if the car is a track or race car, useless if its a rally car though as it wont fit due to the sump guard, I'd be a bit cautious of catching the ARB on stuff too.