• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

[trackday_prep] My 205 GTI-6 Supercharged Track Car

309PUG

Note for Projectpug :-

As a rule of thumb any bolt should be srewed in 1 and 1/2 times the bolt diameter, therefore a M10 should be screwed in 15mm for max strength. The loads exerted on the ends of the arms / r/j especially with slicks are enormous (several ton) if you have only got your outer r/j screwed in by a few threads this could end in disaster. You must screw this in at least the equivalent to the daimeter of the thread !!!

You have been warned.

Chris

PS For everyone else using r/joints you should use a locking nut, if you don't over time the forces on the r/j's will stretch the threaded holes. Again you have been warned.

projectpug

Right where shal i start lol....

Thanks for that info 309 PUG i have about a centimetre inside i think one side and loads the other side.

After having the camber adjusted i have -0.5 both sides on the front and 0 castor. To say im peed off is putting it lightly at the start both arms adjusted the same i had 2 degree negative one side and basically 0 on the other front side. But without over unwinding one side the maximum i could get was -0.5 :( . I have another plan though i took them off again and put a nut just on the left hand inner the one oppositeish to the hub joint. If i fit the nut there it clears the rear part of the anti roll bar but fouls where it meets the droplink. I do plan though to grind about 3mm off the arm and a little off the ARB near the droplink bolt. If you look at spikys little alcove i call it he obviously had the same problem. Never had so much practice at changing wishbones/modifying in my life will be doing them for the peugeot rally car soon lmao.

taylorspug

Tbh if it was me id be launching them back at Compbrake and demanding a refund. They have stated several times that the previous issues of these arms not fitting have been sorted, and thats obviously not the case. Obviously Spiky wouldnt have organised the group buy if he knew they wouldnt fit!

To top it off you arent even getting much neggy! Ive got 309 wishbones on mine with eccentric top mounts, and even with only the slightest amount of negative camber dialled in on the top mounts im getting 1.5 degrees! Id also be slightly suspicious of how different your camber settings are with the arm adjusted the same length- something doesnt seem right there...

projectpug

I know i should really be sending them back but i do like them they feel solid on the road and ell made (not designed i must stress). I am going to leave them as they are for oulton on tuesday and as soon as im back i will adapt them again and go and get it re geod up- more dollar again. I am too baffled by my difference from 1 side to the other considering on standard arms that are equal and oppositely made i presure i never had a issue with. I suppose i have just got to trust the DT machine on this one it is a fairly new complex bit of kit.

I just want to make it clear that i don't in any way blame Spiky(top bloke) i knew he thought they would fit directly hence why he bought a pair too. I'm sure after a bit more tweaking i can get it to near 1.5 and then i'll be happy and leave it at that.Then to sort the rear end and the ARB out etc all good fun ey ?

Thanks

Phil

projectpug

Also looking at Spikys camber readouts he has a difference side/side and presumabley he set them up equally like me ?

taylorspug

No no i wasnt suggesting blame in any way lay at Spikys door, he was obviously not aware of the problems either. Its all on Compbrake really....

Anyway shall we stop spamming his thread? :(

projectpug

With the issue so far advanced i thing you are right i will start a new thread under suspension etc when i start messing with them next week. Sorry for the thread hijack as well. I'm sure Spiky will post a comment on the arms when he s back from the ring.

Phil

adamc

just read all 34 pages, stunning project spiky, i am well impressed!! :)

edbar

Just read the entire thread, Like adamc said that is stunning project! Great mods and details on it! :)

tom_m
(i have a slight issue with slicks too couldnt get heat into the rear ones so made the car immensely twitchy 15 degree temp day dry conditions smooth anglesey surface)

Thanks

Phil

iirc the 306 touring cars ran huge amounts of toe in on the rear tyres just to get heat into them, sounds like you've not got a lot of load over the rear. have you had it corner weighted?

and if you're getting different camber numbers from identical wishbones (did you measure them end to end to be sure they were exactly the same length?) then you're going to have to lay the blame somewhere else, like the shell, remember even the youngest 205s are 15 years old and i doubt many of them had an easy life. you're strut tops or subframe could be out of position from previous accident damage, or friday afternoon build quality.

soap.mactavish

like it 100% light weight

Spiky

hi guys, back from ring, asfe and well

1246 miles inc 6 laps of the ring

not an issue to report

though i did revery back to std arms when i got there, as i wasn't 100% happy with some noises on the way over

i'll be speaking to compbrake tomorrow,

i doubt (applies only to me) i will get a refund, mainly du to the amount of modifications i have made to my arms.

i'm pretty sure my sides were set equal, i also found it weird that i got different camber settings

cheers for the comments on the car, more details to come on modifications :(

project pug.

so sorry to hear of your issues :D, sund exactly the same as mine

i suggest you ring them back, saying they dont fit, and possibly ask for a refund

i'm tempted to make replica group a arms.

projectpug

Hi Spiky ,

Glad you had a good safe ring trip :)

The arms on mine feel ok after oulton yesterday so im going to mod them to increase the camber. I dont think i will get a refund either to be honest no boxes, reciepts silly me. What do the Grp A arms look like? Any pics /any one fancy drawing some ?

Cheers

Phil

Spiky
Hi Spiky ,

Glad you had a good safe ring trip :)

The arms on mine feel ok after oulton yesterday so im going to mod them to increase the camber. I dont think i will get a refund either to be honest no boxes, reciepts silly me. What do the Grp A arms look like? Any pics /any one fancy drawing some ?

Cheers

Phil

if you bought them through my group buy thats as good a receipt as any :)

so if you choose that route, there should not be any issues

as for the grp a arms, i will have a set in my possesion VERY soon and will fit to car and see how they fit with the ARB in place.

me and a mate are going to make a set copying the design, but seeing if we can fit with the ARB in place :o

welshpug

aren't GpA arms just a normal arm with a rose-joint insert welded to the end of it?

Spiky

well me using the GRP A term is probably wrong way to describe these.

these are tubes with RJ's

dont worry, i'll get pics up :)

welshpug

ahhh I see, more like 306 group A items then :)

Spiky

as promised,

i will be making a copy of these arms (though they might be slightly modified, to try and fit with std ARB

06092008318.jpg

06092008319.jpg

06092008320.jpg

06092008321.jpg

06092008322.jpg

welshpug

just thinking out aloud here, either use RJ droplinks shorter than the originals to position the ARB higher (If possible) or a Short link from the ARB to the wishbone itself.

Spiky

like this you mean???

Berceau_complet__306-ZX.JPG

Spiky
just thinking out aloud here, either use RJ droplinks shorter than the originals to position the ARB higher (If possible) or a Short link from the ARB to the wishbone itself.

though i think with these, you could over come the droplink issue, but the STD ARB will probably foul these arms

Spiky

i weighed my rear hatch today bang on 20kgs :lol:

new one is a dam sight lighter :(

the scales said 10kgs, but it dont feel so, so may try again tomorrow B)

gazzamec

10kg sounds a bit much, my corsas one was just under 5kg when i weighed it and that was before i cut the inner panel out.

Spiky

yeah i know

last time i weight it, it was 4.8kgs

Spiky

decided to hang the rear hatch :D

onnc i the marked out the hinge locations

it turns out, that i just needed to drill our the two indents on the hinge, as the hatch has 2 screms to hold it in place, where as the OE has one.

this is the result :excl:

DSC05465.jpg

DSC05466.jpg

DSC05467.jpg

DSC05468.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

DSC05470.jpg