• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

205 Mapped But Its Now Crap :(

smckeown

sorry to hear your having such trouble sport. As i'm up at mikeanics a week friday with a trailer i'm happy to pick your car up and take it to him to sort out. I'll even sacrafice some of my mapping time if he can't squeeze you in otherwise.?

Dream Weaver

That's very kind of you Sean, thanks. :lol:

But I'm a bit too far away really, about 90 minutes each way so don't want to take any time away from you. I'll work out what the problems are first, then get them sorted and probably try Wayne at Chipwizards.

A nice gesture though, thanks again :(

smckeown

It's not a problem for me, as I'll drop the pug off to him then will be twiddling my thumbs for a few hours at least; I could be picking you and your car up. Especially as you'd want him to do it for free.

Anyway, the offer is there if you need it

Butler

Do it DW. Change the oil tonight and get Sean to take it there. The mapper will be able to fix this no probs and it WILL run right. Don't give up now!!!!

M3Evo

Yeah! Don't give up, you'll kick yourself if you do!

Bet if you change the oil and filter and also the plugs it'll do the business now the pot's behaving! :lol:

Edited by M3Evo

jim205GTI

Do it............been reading this thread and feel absolutley gutted for you..............

Sean that is a top offer not many people would do that! :blush:

d-9

Dont give up on this one, youve come so far and it'd be a massive boost for everyone who thinks about bike bodies in the future to get some definitive results from this one. I know how you feel, as projects somtimes get the better of you, but sit back and look at how far youve come, its such a waste to give up now.

Fair play Sean.

petert

What 60-2 fires at 120 deg. BTDC? I normally use 100 deg. See the Haltech setup below. It might help. Note it counts 120 teeth, the total number of teeth counted in a cycle.

post-2864-1157062982_thumb.jpg

smckeown

don't know if it's any help, or any different because I have an external sensor, but just checked my KMS map and mine's set at 117 degrees

kms_rpm_pickup.jpg

Sandy

I always use 117 degrees on pug flywheels.

Banjo

Dont give up mate, change the oil and stick some new plugs in, bet it runs again! Then sort the throttle stop and spring out and get it back to the mappers, dont give up now!! Just get stuck in. Someone take him for a raz in an mi!! :)

Edited by Banjo

Dream Weaver

I don't think changing the reference point will do much as it was always 120, and that's what the Emerald manual says to set it at for Bosch 60-2.

When Mike balanced the bodies he said that the spring on the first body was compressing, and thus wasn't opening the other bodies as much as the first one (if that makes sense), especially the final body on the TPS end.

He added a stronger spring which then opened them all in sync. My theory is that with the weaker spring the TPS was reaching full range, but with the new spring added when I did that first full throttle run it must've moved the TPS track past its full range and messed up the load sites within the ECU.

I then drive home with the wrong load settings, chucking loads of fuel in (hence using about £20-25 worth in 70 miles), the fuel then travels into the sump, wets the plugs etc.

This would account for it getting worse as I got closer to home, and starting to miss more - the plugs must've been soaked.

So!!, i'll sort the throttle stop/return spring, go for the oil/filter change and put (yet more) new plugs in and try again - just hope the mapping isn't out after that. :)

Need to order some plugs, and find some Millers oil now. Is it BCP7ES plugs from memory? And 10w/40 oil?

I know people say not to give up, but i've had this car for 3 years this week and only done 2,500 miles, most of which were not done in anger so after spending so much on it i've had no reward to date. :(

The call of a nice std Elise/Skyline/Impreza/Evo/Clio 182 is very strong at the minute :)

Dream Weaver

Got the oil sorted - one of my customers is sending me some Millers CFS 10w/40 down asap :)

Better get some plugs ordered from Partco.

Edited by Dream Weaver

Jonmurgie

Great to see your getting on with it... the plugs are either BCP7ET (triple electrode) or the more common BCP7ES (single electrode) and are under £2 a piece :)

maturin23

You're so damn close mate - must be HUGELY frustrating.

Usual story though, it's the last 5% of a job that takes 95% of the blood sweat and tears.

Think how much knowledge and experience you've picked up - you may only have done 3000 miles driving and cost you a pretty penny, but the skills you've got now will be with you forever and over the years will probably save you way more than you've spent.

Plus that sense of satisfaction each time you raz the mams of her will be immense!

Dream Weaver

It will be the death of me this car :)

phatgti

Don't buy new plugs for the sake of it - just wire brush them and clean them up, you've only sooted them up!

If it's chucking that much fuel in are you sure you don't have an injector stuck open?

I had this with a 1.6 GTi and the sump had more petrol than oil!

Dream Weaver

Just taken the plugs out, guess it was a bit rich as they're still wet from yesterday, and completely sooted up.

sparks1.jpg

sparks2.jpg

The old plugs were like this and wouldn't work however much I cleaned them up, so for the sake of £12 I may as well get some more. It mentions this in Dave Walkers book, saying that once a plug is fouled from a rich mixture just chuck it away.

I'm guessing the rich running was purely from the load site 4 fuelling on idle, I could smell the fuel whenever I stopped - however, whats the best way to check fuelling? Just pull the fuel rail off, remove HT leads and turnthe engine over, aiming the injectors into a dish or something?

tom_m

mine never ran right on plugs fouled after they got wet from a dead ecu temp sensor, but a new set of plugs sorted it right out, for £12 its worth doing!

M3Evo

I rigged my injectors up aiming into some jam jars to test them.

I rigged up a little loom that triggered them all to go on and off at exactly the same time, set the pump running and let them rip for some period of time.

Then I poured each jam jar in turn into another jar and compared the levels to see if they were similar.

One of the injectors was dribbling (which is mainly why I tested them) so it was a useful test!

d-9

Did you need any fancy control circuit to do that, or did you just put 12v across them on a push button?

Rob_the_Sparky

It isn't something daft like an engine temperature sensor wire broken is it? If like the Jetronic it read a VERY cold engine with a bust wire then it would suddenly start to seriously overfuel...

Rob

phatgti

Hence my cold map post.

clean the plugs up with a wire brush - your spending money for no reason.

So when an engine which is being set up gets flooded you must buy new plugs? absolute rubbish.

I'm not diggin at anyone and i cannot blame anyone if they have read it in a book.

If it starts to overfuel on the cold map it will usually kill a cylinder and run on 3, we get over this on race cars by taping up the radiator during endurance races.

Mongo
clean the plugs up with a wire brush - your spending money for no reason.

If you have a gas cooker, you can clean them up with a wire brush and then spray with WD40 and get a pair of molegrips and heat em up on gas cooker (electrode end).

Also it is worth noting i had more popping (nice unburnt fuel, firing up in the downpipe of the exhaust) on my mi16 and throttle bodies with the tripple node spark plugs than with the singles.

Sign in to follow this