• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

blandy

Self Built Budget Track Car Project

blandy

It will be like night and day with the bigger bars. Make sure you set the front toe out to at least 4mm.

Silly question is that 4mm toe out each side or 2mm each side?

Fitted bars and arb this afternoon and also adjusted the camber on my gaz top mounts so far been set all as parallel so hoping for a big improvement next outing

petert

2mm each side, 4mm in total.

Edited by petert

blandy

Thanks

Think it best I trailer it to a tyre place and get it done properly for the little it will cost

allanallen

Google 'stringing' a car, much better than a tyre place ;)

petert

It's a good skill to learn, as you may want to change it for different circuits. I use +4 for straighter circuits and +6 for tight circuits. I have a length of steel bar, with tags on each end, which goes around either the side of wheel, at either 3 or 9 o'clock.

blandy

Definately allthough ive been playing and think its near on but not sure. We have a tyre dept at work so pretty much checking its right to begin with

blandy

Well did a airfield day yesterday. 1st outing since doing the rear suspension and properly setting camber and tracking on the front and what a transformation. Feels like a totally different car now much improved so well worth it.

Now pushing it harder I can see I need to address the airflow to the maximise flow through the rad.

Definitely got to change the gearbox though, can see why the vets box would be good on the road but compared to my old ab Motorsport box it just feels dull.

blandy

Not done a huge amount lately just a couple of small bits

Made a alluminium scoop to hopefully direct some of the hot air from being sucked into the filter and fitted a catch tank I had lying around

b97f17c56381b28c3da23d5ba5153c1f_zpsn5tn

Also with the bm rad half the rad is directly behind the bumper so got busy with a hole cutter in order to allow more direct air onto the rad. also moved the fans to the rear of the rad

2d03ed666709ddf05ae353d71b9e7855_zpstfmo

Edited by blandy
  • Like 1

Paul_13

Looking good

johniban

What bonnet is that?

blandy

I picked it up 2nd hand so don't know where it originally came from I'm afraid

blandy

Not huge amount to update. I decided to order up a elec powersteering column which arrived yesterday that I'm hoping to get fitted in next few weeks

103b007e2c65d0d0e0600ba1b1a868e5_zpsj24d

Other than that done a couple of trackdays so getting to grips with it now. I have also finally got a working speedo which is a nice touch.

blandy

Finally got round to fitting the elec steering column a few weeks back and managed a couple of sessions out at the forge action day. Initial thoughts are mixed. It's awesome round the paddock etc as can be set super light. On track I had a try at a few settings finding just the smallest assistance most preferred. Just takes a bit of getting used to as don't have to fight it anymore.

Other than that had a first drive in the proper wet on my first session in the morning which was interesting but still fairly predictable as had a couple of slides.

Had another go out in the dry which was a bit easier and managed to stick with/overtake a few bigger turbo hatches.

Decided now though I definitely need another set of wheels so I can run some dedicated track tyres but also keep the michellins incase it does rain.

So managed to pick up another cheap set of speedlines to go get powder coated and also a set of 4 pots that will fit under them so hopefully can brake later and corner harder

B8C768C3-509F-43BD-AF67-D6AADC053B3A_zps

blandy

Got the 205 sat back on all 4's with the gearbox I've had sat round for a while. Bit of a unknown spec apart from the fact it started as a 1.9box and now has a 4.4 fd but do not know anything else so will see how it goes next outing. Also fitted up the new wheels which have been powder coated.

Also thought I'd give the toto r888r's a try as they we're the best deal I could get and finally fitted up the new brakes after getting some 1.5mm washers to centralise the callipers. There fitted with new ds3000 pads so hopefully once bedded in will be a big upgrade from the previous set up. I rolled the car round the block to check I could get the gears and the brakes didn't feel all that tbh but never driven on race compound pads so guessing they should come alive with a bit of heat.

Think it's safe to say the calipers are just about squeezed in there

CCF2CD0D-46C7-4964-857D-29E4E6D4148C_zps

welshpug

they will need bedding in and do need a bit of heat to get some bite.

blandy

That's great thanks I did buy a vacuum bleeder this week to ensure there bled up fully. Will be taking it to setterton on sat so will see how they do

petert

Bit of a unknown spec apart from the fact it started as a 1.9box and now has a 4.4 fd but do not know anything else so will see how it goes next outing.

Awesome. It will go like stink.

blandy

Certainly hope so. I missed the old ab Motorsport box I had that was a bit short topping at around 115mph and the xsara box I swapped it with is good but felt a world away from the old box so hoping this new one will be a nice compromise between the 2 as told it should top at about 128ish so should be fine for almost all of the trakcs I'm likely to go

matty_gti

Lovely project, was the power steering column bought already for a 205?

blandy

It was indeed from powersteering solutions. Just need to cut out a section from the original mounting to enable room for the motor to sit up out of the way

matty_gti

Thanks, have you got a link to it at all as couldn't find it on google!

blandy

Well i did a trackday and lost the clutch after 4 laps so barely got to bed the brakes in lol.

Its now comming off the road as will have cambelt and water pump etc done and also sort out a gearbox ready for next year

Bas

Have you fitted the Epas? What was the price for the Epas?

blandy

yes fitted a electric steering column to buy complete kit ready to fit is around £600