• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

blandy

Self Built Budget Track Car Project

S@m

I had a 306 for a decade, my username even used to be Sam306. My recommendation would be to stick with a 205, my reasoning is that any upgrade/conversion you can do to a 306 will also fit a 205 and you end up with a faster package.

blandy

Yes the 205 is faster and I love the look of it now especially with the large cage and the paint work gleaming. My issue is its not a road car and although I could get the engine declared and mot'ed it's not really a car for the road.

At the min a trailer to trackdays but my trailer is stored at work and I need to move it to which I haven't got a solution yet as haven't room at home

So my thoughts are along the line of stick my engine (rotrex low boost 90% complete) in a 306 with a omp cage but keep heater etc so I could drive to trackdays etc if I can store my trailer then I'll keep the 205 just weighing up options at the min

Anthony

I might be missing something here, but surely the issue isn't that it's a 205 but rather than way you've modified it?

Put glass, heater, dash and carpets back into it and it'll function much better as a "fast road" car without losing much on track. Equally, strip all that out of a 306 and it will be just as unpleasant as a road car as the 205 is.

blandy

Yes exactly that. But by the time I've done all that it won't be the same as it is now which I'll then miss if thT makes sense. It's not decided by any means (as I'm currently making brackets for my intercooler at the min) but yes this car has been modified for a single purpose - going fast round track so wiring is all stripped down to minimum etc + I only ever started with a bare shell so there's no parts sat here to go back in.

All I really after I guess Is what the caged shell and all 205 bits would be worth as also that will have a bearing on what I do next.

jackherer

Caged shells are not worth much and are very hard to sell unfortunately. I've got a rust free phase 1 shell with a safety devices cage stashed away for future use, I don't particularly want or need it but I might do something with it one day and I know I would get next to nothing for it if I sold it.

Tom Fenton

Personally I would never be able to get past the fact that the 306 is 300kg odd heavier than the 205 do no matter what it's never going to be as quick as the 205 would be with the same mods.

• Like 1

blandy

Yeah that is true as can definately feel the 205 even with a standard gti6 engine is alot quicker than a standard 6

The only reason id look to a gti6 is i know them and also i can reuse my charger kit so still have something fun but also not have to rely on trailers etc as the estate where i brought my house is nearly finished and its becoming more of a nightmare getting round the estate with a trailer + With possibly having to pay to store my trailer makes me wonder is the hassle worth the 4 or so track days ive done.

In a ideal world id keep the 205 and carry on as now which may still happen as talking to someone this week who may be able to store my trailer but we shall see.

Tom Fenton

Make the car road legal seems easiest to me.

dcc

To fit interior to a 205 -a days work. To prep and build a 306 to similar spec as 205, weeks & $$$$...

Struggle to think how you could want to do anything else...

blandy

Agreed appreciate all the comments

On that note then how have people gone about getting the engine change noted on the log book? They seem to want a engineers report and receipts and all sorts nowadays?

dcc

Dont bother. Just insure the vehicle properly, doesnt have to be on logbook

johniban

ive never put a conversion down on log book, always insured properly through adrian flux and they never said change it on the log book

blandy

Cool thanks for the input. Anyways decided to stick with it and carry out with the charger conversion

B081918E-3554-4E20-820A-F617BC0506C3_zps

Made a frame and got the rad Lower in order to fit the intercooler above but tbh not really happy with how low it is now so have a bbm on order so will have to remake the frame again lol. Also looking to put the oil cooler and charger cooler to the sides behind fog lights to maximise space

Edited by blandy

allye

Good to see you're sticking with it. That cooler up the job? I've just purchased one very similar for my 1.9TD 205.

blandy

it should be a few people have run similar set ups its from the 4wd cosworth so on them good for around 320ish on the saphire cosworth so im led to believe. At least i hope so anyhow

blandy

Forgot how long it had been since I updated this and there's been a few changes lol. Supercharger kit has come off and been sold in favour of a n/a set up. Unfortunately not the engine I originally planned as was buying a high comp unit at a very good price but that deal fell through so ended up sticking with the plan and going back to n/a.

Firstly started shopping around to get a set of jenveys and a omex 600 and a satchell inlet. Then just as I test fitted them weld pug was parting with his pocketed piston and cammed engine so some cash and a set of cams I had planned for my engine later and I was in possetion of a cammed engine to go with my bodies

FD47AE1E-871E-45C2-A4A1-A2BCA90B07D5_zps

8E20B9F4-F3A1-49D0-980D-760169F72687_zps

blandy

Then decided to do some wire tidying in the interior and then got a little carried away so removed the dash and got a fibreglass dash and with a little trimming got it test fitted.

19B594CF-A6B5-44A3-B685-11E6AA9E2E8A_zps

With the new dash the old clocks wouldn't look right at all so opted for a all in one digital unit from etb

A66289DA-57C7-470C-855C-F8BC7776263B_zps

Again wired it in and fitted to the dash board before pulling it all out again and sending the dash away for flocking.

CBE6FA86-4754-4680-9348-C6DE38DDD8F7_zps

Also fitted a heated windscreen as no heaters on a wet trackday is no fun.

blandy

Finally fitted on my pro race 1.2's that I've had sitting for a while as was a bit undecided on them to begin with

2D35C4E3-D048-4614-B735-39AE091B1E41_zps

And done away with the grill in favour of a standard one

5FFD9276-DA13-4459-8168-B9DD191C3BD0_zps

blandy

Well today was dyno day.

Ended up with 173 at the wheels

• Like 1

j_turnell

Looking good, where did you get the bonnet from?

welshpug

sounds good, always did in my car, any idea what the torque was like?

blandy

Basically 151lbft atw

71779B30-7E6E-4423-86CE-8488CD2CDDCB_zps

Edited by blandy

blandy

Looking good, where did you get the bonnet from?

Got both bonnet and boot 2nd hand from here

allanallen

What's the spec of the engine then? pocketed pistons and newman ph2s?

Edited by allanallen
  • Like 1

blandy

Yep Welshpugs old engine and jenvey 45's with satchell inlet