• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

blandy

Self Built Budget Track Car Project

blandy

Thanks I'm pleased how far it's come but plenty of room for improvement. Gotta test fit and then paint the fibreglass boot and bonnet yet but that'll be a job for warmer weather

Rich_p

I quite like he black engine bay, I'd be happy with the same on mine.

Which type of paint did you use?

Edited by Rich_p

blandy

Thanks it's just hammerite hammered black paint. Goes on really easy and is nice and thick so pretty durable.

blandy

Been a while updating but have pretty much got the car somewhere near ready for a travk day. Only thing letting me down before I go to test is the oil hoses that come in my oil cooler kit are leaking at the crimp, not amused to find that as could of been disastrous if I hadn't spotted it before using it hard.

Anyways I've finally got my doors, bumpers, grill and fibreglass boot and bonnet painted (by me) and fitted up along with the trims. Boot fits beutufully and bonnet is ok for a fibreglass skin. Not entirely happy with the gap on the lh side but that's more to do with the ecp wings I've fitted more than the bonnet. Also not 100% sure on the grill but it's what came with the car so will stick with it for mean time

321F9EE0-BF84-4304-A588-60C401C7EF35_zps

Fibreglass door cards fitted

1C174965-1830-406D-A8A9-78AE1397F84B_zps

BBE94508-C62F-42BB-B113-119439122CAF_zps

65F75CE2-CD0D-4202-B8F3-2A11165B6C3E_zps

• Like 1

blandy

Oh also exhaust system has been adapted to fit but think I'll be changing the rear box to something quieter. Also lexan windows fitted including rear for a bit more weight saving

blandy

Finally managed to get the car out on track doing a couple of track days in the last month and been really happy with the car. Seems to handle a lot better than my old 306 and obviously feels a bit quicker to.

Seem to be lacking a bit of power higher up in the Rpm's though just feels as if the power drops off a little early. I have a 2" exhaust system currently so going to try and up the bore size a little to see if that helps. Also my filter is strait on the tb so probably getting a little hot so going to try install a airbox of some kind to help. Don't know if that's the issue but it's all I can think of that may be a issue.

Also got 2 very minor leaks one from sump join and one from the speedo housing so got to sort them as well.

Anyway managed to get the go pro out for a few laps

arbor

Nice work, she goes well.

mmt

Just been Reading the entire thread. Really nice build. Looks really nice. Sounds great.

The boot lid looks fine. What make is it? I am looking for one for my own car. Where did you get it from?

Tom Fenton

Car looks great, I am re shelling my white track car soon due to damage and I'm sorry to say the finished article will likely end up looking very similar.

I like the door cards, where did you get them?

blandy

Pretty much everything was brought 2nd hand. The boot/bonnet I got from here unfortunately I don't know where they originated from. E door cards I picked up from Facebook but they originally came from was racing I believe.

michael_ozzie

Just curious with the fitment of the dash, I see you said you cut it to fit around the roll cage.

How is the dash now fixed to the bulkhead? I need to try and get this done myself in the near future.

Thanks,

rikky

This looks cool

I've got my bay black and the car is white. Don't listen to people, it looks fine :P

allanallen

Yep, I like this!

I'd look at your cam timing rather than exhaust, 2" shouldn't be restrictive on your engine.

What gearbox are you running?

blandy

The ab Motorsport one I think I may of got from you? Lol

Gman

It sounds like you're short shifting as the revs appear higher when going down the box. Am I wrong or were you doing this due to the perceived lack of top end grunt.

Is it a 1.6 box as it sounds nice and short?

Are you going to do the Abingdon day in June, as I'm tempted to go and would be interesting to compare cars/spec when on track.

• Like 1

blandy

Oh and cam timing is ok as far as I can tell that is I checked the cam pulleys line up and checked the woodruff key on the crank was in the correct orentation when I replaced the bottom pulley for a alloy one.

blandy

It sounds like you're short shifting as the revs appear higher when going down the box. Am I wrong or were you doing this due to the perceived lack of top end grunt.

Is it a 1.6 box as it sounds nice and short?

Are you going to do the Abingdon day in June, as I'm tempted to go and would be interesting to compare cars/spec when on track.

Yeah short shifting. (Father in law was actually driving in this vid) Difficult really as my speedo doesn't work at min so could be just down to perception etc it does still accelerate just not as hard as upto 6k

Don't know about June at the min it's s possibility, I have got to sort a couple of small leaks first but may have another day out

welshpug

you need an accurate rev counter to check really, or go by road speeds, dont forget peak power is at 6500 on a properly timed up standard J4RS.

Anthony

GTi-6's aren't the most revvy of engines I've found - certainly it should pull to 6500 with vigour, but they don't want to pull straight to the limiter in the same way that say a 1.9 Mi16 does despite peak power being in the same place.

As said though, they are very sensitive to cam timing and the holes all need to line up spot-on, not just roughly.

blandy

Well i say roughly by that i mean the cams looked and the woodruff key points to the bolt indicated in the guides so as acurate as i could be really.. Again though in reality i guess its a old engine and ive no real history as got the engine along with the scrap of a car that it started life as when i got it so cant really complain lol.

allanallen

The ab Motorsport one I think I may of got from you? Lol

Oh yeah! Course you did! You like? It was mega on my 8valve :)

blandy

Yeah it's good, just annoying I haven't got a speedo as would be nice to see what it gets to top end on the 16v engine but not topped it out as of yet lol

blandy

Going through a few options currently and possibly thinking of going away from the 205 and back into a 306

Rather than start a interest thread etc

Any ideas on what my shell would be worth including fibreglass boot, bonnet, plastic windows etc basically I'd look to keep the engine only?

dcc

I cant think of a single reason you'd bother! The 205 loojs grwat

welshpug

yeah, keep the 205, 306 is too heavy