• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

blandy

Self Built Budget Track Car Project

j_turnell

Mine made 175@wheels and 145ft/lb on standard cams on the same rollers. Mine is a custom lotus setup with one of Miles' 4-2-1 manifolds.

blandy

My last 306 made similar power but less torque again on same rollers but with a 4-2-1 and standard cams and 90 trumpets so manifold must make a good difference, I did hope it would go a bit more really but it's healthy which is the main thing. Will look towards exhaust manifold next but for now it'll do for this year as just wanna get it out on track.

dcc

All you boys gettig hung up on the figures, in reality you cant compare peak figure (not without your graph to overlay on blandys).

What you probably dont get with your standard engine vs mikes is the spread of torque, increased area under curver and eagerness :)

allanallen

All you boys gettig hung up on the figures, in reality you cant compare peak figure (not without your graph to overlay on blandys).

What you probably dont get with your standard engine vs mikes is the spread of torque, increased area under curver and eagerness :)

You're full of it dan! We're all here for the headline figures ;)

blandy

Looking through my old engine sheet that mate similar power was down everywhere else to be fair in both toque and power.

I'm ok with the figures but yes was hoping for another 10bhp but that's the luck of the draw I guess.

I have however been racking my brains to work out why it didn't go more than my old one and 1 thing that was noticed on the day is there is a mismatch between my satchell inlet and a pair of the bodies not much at all but a definite step where the 2 holes don't meet perfectly.

The other thing is clearly I had a 4-2-1 before on the old car do this will be where I look to next. Also I know I had 90's on my old one and 60s here but also looking through pics the manifold on the old set up was also certainly longer in length so actually probably dropped 50-60mm in inlet length over the last set up

Old

AF67C777-71BC-475C-80C9-3EE263B4400C_zps

Vs new

1A57E3C0-A680-42E0-ABAF-11ADA969D7D6_zps

j_turnell

Looks like you have plenty of room to play around with trumpet length. I'm slightly limited by the angle of my inlet, I'm going to try and squeeze some 100mm trumpets on, currently 65mm and get another power run, my tract length is quite short. I would like to improve the mid range.

blandy

Done a bit more today

Roof vent installed so don't fry on trackdays like last year

721636a6582a534aaaec6d3d6ff0c7fb_zpsummy

Also backplate cut and filter fitted to stop anything unwanted being sucked in

844d5de59bf6f3290dc070b4930111a8_zpsayxh

• Like 1

johniban

I always assumed the longer the inlet tract the better? i thought longer improved torque? i have the same set up and i did notice my jenveys match up very poorly to the satchell inlet too! so much so that i think im going to have to get some material removed from the inlet

blandy

Yeah In hindsight I would of got longer trumpets but I had the 60's but should of got some 90's also. Now it's mapped and ready I'll run it for the year but come winter I'll be pulling the inlet off and taking some material away to try and match them up better, change the ex manifold once I know which ones work with a satch shift and go for a bit more bhp. But happy for now at least well I'll know for sure once I drive it but hoping for good things lol

welshpug

You've got full length bodies and a longer inlet than a jenvey, so its not exactly short

blandy

Yeah I know but there's room for more, whether it benefits it or not will be a different matter.

Main thing is to get it out and use it

Tom Fenton

I wouldn't worry about it, on most tracks you'll only use roughly 4.5k to 7.5k majority of the time. So long as you've a decent box geared for a sensible top speed for circuit use I think it will do fine.

blandy

I'm hoping the xsara box I have now will do well as the old box was just a little to short topping at around 115ish but I'm sure there will be room for improvement.

Suspension will be the next big task though as there's plenty of room for improvement there

jorg

what did you do for the speedo on the etb dash?

blandy

Made a bracket off the gearbox to hold speed sensor with magnets on drive shaft. Not sure how well it will work on track though as shaft will move a bit but time will tell on that one

blandy

Ignor that drove it yesterday and cannot get a decent speedo reading off the driveshaft. Need a new plan

Anthony

Ignor that drove it yesterday and cannot get a decent speedo reading off the driveshaft. Need a new plan

Could you not use an electronic VSS as found on most mid-90's onwards PSA stuff to drive the speedo?

I don't know if the output is compatible with your dash, but if it is, that's got to be the easiest and most reliable option I would have thought.

jackherer

As above, OE reliability and it fills the speedo cable hole in the gearbox, it couldn't be neater.

I've used them successfully with Stack, SPA Design and Caerbont/Smiths electronic speedos.

petert

Why do you want to know how fast you're going? If you've got time to look at speed you're not trying hard enough. Do you have a data logger? Just grab the GPS speed off that.

blandy

No data logger with my dash, but yes not bothered about not having it tbh I only put it in as took 10 mins to make a bracket I have my dash set to look at Revs and temps when driving anyhow.

Main reason I got the dash was I can set alarms as found with the standard dash I had extra gauges in the center I never really got chance to look much as concentrating on driving so now at least if anything goes wrong it should alert me. But as with everything if it can do it it's nice to have it working so may try with the vss.

blandy

Took it out for the first time with the bodies etc to mallory park. Was a good day out can definately feel the extra power Allthough it has highlighted even further that I need to concentrate on the suspension to make the most of the car. Only other issue really was a bit of fuel surge when the tank was getting low and also the biggest annoyance was the inability to select 2nd at the hairpin it will select easily going up through the gears but almost wants to be stopped to select it when going down the box which cost valuable time

But on the whole a good day out

63A768B0-9C17-47D5-8469-A8CA811A14BB_zps

blandy

Little vid from the day. Can see how much time was lost on the hairpin not being able to select 2nd. Also shows alot more confidence needed but really good fun day out.

https://youtu.be/AzKYyMYHiGw?t=3m

Also ordered some 23mm torsion bars and a 25.8mm arb to stiffen up the rear a little.

Oh and booked another day out practice makes perfect... hopefully

petert

It will be like night and day with the bigger bars. Make sure you set the front toe out to at least 4mm.

blandy

I hope so. Thanks for the advice I will give that a go

jorg

Made a bracket off the gearbox to hold speed sensor with magnets on drive shaft. Not sure how well it will work on track though as shaft will move a bit but time will tell on that one

i still need to stick my head under the engine and see what i will be able to knock up for the speed sensor. was thinking about possibly using an abs hole on one of the rear hubs.

my dash came with the gps upgrade kit so may just use that until i get the sensor sorted.