• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rolando

Red Phase1 Cti 2.0 8V Turbo

Rolando

also had loads of bits sand blasted

88E579F5-B28A-4DA6-91AF-E277FABC44D6_zps

90A66C0A-C0B8-44BE-A901-507A006AE194_zps

25E3B1C0-3690-4ACC-9FCB-4A61A4BCA66A_zps

CDA31367-0B55-4116-ABD0-F0185B538C66_zps

963BEEFF-F187-424B-91FF-BF2A4291468E_zps

934F3491-17B2-4711-919B-30C8D697BF9B_zps

AB63AD28-B277-4D62-8D16-9FF7A18F04FE_zps

Rolando

hopefully going to be sorting out an intercooler in the next few weeks, once thats sorted i can push on with the wiring loom.

• Like 1

johniban

Whoes project build is this? im reading two different people write about two different cars?

Rolando

its mine. finally assembled the front shocks and painted the wishbones. will hopefully get them fitted this weekend

​8956FDD0-5F15-48FE-89A9-55C11081373B_zps

Edited by Rolando

pugdamo

What are you painting all the stuff with?

Rolando

black and silver is hammerite, yellow is aerosol and the reds powder coated. looks good enough for the pictures. won't stay like that for long even if it does stay a dry weather summer car only :(

pugdamo

lol,im sure it will be ok.You worked out when your starting each of your many projects? :ph34r:

Rolando

haha i like to dabble in all of them. carrying on with the transit this weekend. should sort that first really as i can make money using it haha have found an intercooler for my cti tho. £140 mind!!! can't really do much more to the cti till I've got this as well :(

pugdamo

how about the supercharged and the 309?I dont think my intercooler was that much,not sure if it would be any use in a 205 but ill see if i can find a link for you

pugdamo
Rolando

won't be looking at the 309 for a while yet. plan is to complete my transit, supercharged and cti then start that. supercharged one went straight back in the garage after saturday. going to look at it easter weekend.

yeh i seen them. the first ones too tall and the second one needs brackets fabricating on it.

this is the one i'm looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RMD-Type-5-Upper-or-Lower-Ports-Universal-Intercooler-600x200x70mm-WT05-004-/321705843739?

also thought of this one but its tiny! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301310745039?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rolando

time for a small update! so over the summer this went on hold again but a few weeks ago i decided to tackle it.

so i finally mounted the rad and intercooler. if i'm honest the intercooler is a bit big for my liking and i'm not keen on working with 2.5" pipe but i'm near enough there now. as you'll see i decided to cut out the bottom cross member and welded in a 1" bar. this was so i could lower the intercooler slightly and for strength.

B94090BC-9A07-41C4-9A96-3BEB29B1DABC_zps

the top was very much difficult a lot of marking, cutting, tacking and finally welding but got there in the end

D6B97B12-92B8-492E-BBF3-08F22BC2158D_zps

FFF2A962-961A-426D-85F7-65A50FB49DA2_zps

and finally in place and bolted not much room between the fan and engine either :unsure:

23B986C8-8117-4269-BE12-C851AE053015_zps

EAD77B25-7181-404D-8ABE-5BC6D47012C0_zps

i'm not 100% sure how i'm going to do the pipe work on the turbo side of the intercooler as it seems to be a pain in the ass and looking like i'm going to have to get something welded and made up.

I've decided thats not too much of a worry either as i need to sort out coolant pipes, gear linkages and loom first.

I've managed to get from the thermostat housing to the rad with 2 45 degree silicone hoses and a joiner. i plan to have a 10mm pipe T'd into the joiner so i can connect the coolant pipe from the turbo. and thats as far as I've got. with the heater matrix pipes i plan to run 1 direct to the thermostat housing and then T then other one into the expansion tank and the other metal pipe near the thermostat housing.

479415AA-5A25-4156-B0EA-10D9BC45FC44_zps

the other concern i have is the turbo doesn't line up very central with the exhaust tunnel? is this right? i know its not the best pictures but hopefully you'll get what i mean

1F7C99EC-47C8-42AC-8716-47757D5694C9_zps

51680040-0945-4908-A2D2-D1B5F7BFBF3A_zps

Daviewonder

Looking good.

I'm sure my downpipe is pretty much central in the tunnel if I recall correctly.

pugdamo

Nice progress, looking very good. I'm sure mine was pretty central aswell, maybe slightly off to the right hand side.

Slo

Youll need a T piece between the cooler and inlet for the idle circuit and a T piece on the boost side for the dump valve.

Also i had to use a 2.5 to 2.25 reducer on the turbo to cooler pipe, cant tell from your pics if youve allowed for that to simplify things.

Daviewonder

Youll need a T piece between the cooler and inlet for the idle circuit and a T piece on the boost side for the dump valve.

Looks like the dump valve one is already there in the alloy factory pipe.

Slo

Oh balls yours right I missed that as its black gloss, is this a 406 engine? Its all completely different to mine from a phase 1 605

Rolando

yes the engines out of a 406. not sure if they used a different turbo and thats why its not central perhaps? theres noway i can move it over as all 3 engine mounts line up.

does it matter which side of the intercooler you plumb the ICV into? i thought it didn't?

Slo

Its supposed to be right next to the throttle plate, thats where it was originally. Guess it wont matter that much.

Its the manifold that determines where the exhaust position is, turbo just bolts into the other end but yes same on them all

pugdamo

Who's going to make your downpipe? You could always have a slight bend in it near the flange to centralise it in the tunnel. You probably already guessed but Powells did mine when I was there.

Rolando

ahh ok, i might still T it in near the inlet manifold as there's a joiner there as well. i won't look at getting that done till i need all the ally welding sorting.

as for the down pipe, theres nothing i can do to make it more central is there? I've read a few turbo project threads and no ones ever mentioned theres being out?

yeh worse comes to worse damo, i'll have to put a kink in the down pipe. i'll make one for the time being so i can get it running then once in the distant future when its a whole car again i'll look at getting one made, probably use that VW place out St Agnes as they done my S/C 205 but i'll ring powles for a quote as well but i'm not keen on using them tbh.

Slo

When i did mine i sat both the 205 and original turbo exhaust side by side and chopped a piece of the 205 downpipe out underneath the flange at the same angle as the original exhaust but left it connected at the very top so i could just bend it down to the correct angle and weld it back up. Works spot on. Also have you undone the smaller nuts on the gearbox mount and tried to lever it over to the nearside a bit, that will get you a bit nearer.

Edited by Slo

Henry Yorke

I had a kinky downpipe too if using the standard turbo.

Rolando

I had a kinky downpipe too if using the standard turbo.

ahh thats a relief then. was worried something wasn't right.

not much of an update tbh. took the engine loom to sandy brown to be done and thats it really. hopefully going to do bits on sunday.

wanted to sort out the gear linkages this weekend. as you can see in the picture, it hits the turbo. i haven't really heard much on this but is it a case of trial and error of how far you bend it down? i'm sure i read someone moved the ball down a bit and then cut off the excess mental? looks like i'd have to bend it quite far down to help with missing the heat?

66087F9B-0342-49FA-B312-5070174BE6A7_zps

pugdamo

If you look in your pic, about a 1/3 away from the pivot (there is a small line on the edge of it in your picture), I bent mine about there and bent it until it was around 5-10mm away from the turbo with the linkage on.