• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rolando

Red Phase1 Cti 2.0 8V Turbo

Rolando

Hello All, thought i'd start this thread seen as i made a start on it today.

i bought this back in december for cheap from gloucester with the intentions of breaking it. i didn't really look round it when i collected it as it was dark and just wanted to get back. bit silly really as when we got out of the estate and onto the main roads i realised i only had side lights and the front spot lights on. quick 15min stop and a bit of duck tape and we had lights and off we went.

tbh i was really shocked at how straight and smooth it drove all the way back. no knocks, no bangs, no wobbles. started on the button and idled perfectly. drove better than my 306 hdi haha not bad for an E reg car!

eb14f113-8320-453a-b67e-c870c35837f5_zps

B4B3CC1F_zps6f21492d.jpg

as said i bought it to break so i could use parts to make a 1.9 Miami i have complete but after a month of wondering what to do i decided it would be a shame to break seen as these are getting rarer by the day. so now i have 3 lol

the other big factor why i decided to keep it was i picked up a good, low mileage turbo engine. i tried to sell it but didn't have any luck so its now going in the CTI.

b90c3fe1-d8ee-4871-842e-f8c4f344e17f_zps

68b90704-b987-4108-8b8e-a6b75ef6cd04_zps

This will be a slow going project due to funds and my priority being my SuperCharged 205.

collected a couple of bits at the scrapyard yesterday. top mount bracket and alternator.

def57d01-b434-4099-921d-58faa7ef41b2_zps

started taking the engine out late this afternoon. got a half before pic but not a finished one as it started raining and got dark

4d341cf3-ea5c-4ba1-a426-9589eb297bb4_zps

thats all for tonight. any comments, good or bad welcome :D any advise or help will be much appreciated as well.

Thanks Ro

• Like 2

Slo

Another one welcome. Look forward to seeing progress, it took me 6 months to do mine cos of work getting in the way.

Have you done one of these turbo conversions before?

Rolando

i'm hoping it'll be done in a couple of months max but i'll see. main priority is to get my SuperCharged one done and out of the garage.

no i haven't done one before but looked at few threads and one of my friends near me has put one in a 309.

any advice or tips?

Slo

Ahhh must be damian then based on your location who gave me lots of help when i did mine. Couple of points from the start worth noting are extend your fuel lines before you put the lump in and move them as far over away from where the turbo will be as possible. Don't cut off the turbo heat shield I did mine cos i'd read it would foul stuff but it wouldn't touch anything had i left it in place and as a result its fried my lower steering uj as its slap bang next to it.

Then the usual service stuff blah before you put it in. Might as well do the crank seals too while you got the bottom pulley off and swapping the flywheel. I struggled for a while when it came to intercooling, on my struggle thread I left links to the vital parts that fit like a charm no rad lowering needed at all.

• Like 1

pugdamo

Glad your getting started on this,ill keep an eye on this hopefully will be a few pics as you go.Give me a shout if you get any probs but would have thought you'll be ok.

Rolando

did you move your fuel filter over to the inner wing? seen a couple do this but i was hoping to leave it where it is as i want to fit my ecu to the inner wing.

did you both extend the lower engine folk mount? i'm planning on using a charge cooler if i can get away with it. only reason being I've got one lying round in the garage lol

yeh finally made an effort damo. I've near enough completed my S/C 205 at the weekend. all up and running now. couple more hours on it and it'll be back on its wheels. hopefully i'll pull the cti engine out and steam clean the engine bay and arches this weekend depending on the weather.

Slo

I have my fuel filter where the jack used to live yes. I also extended my bottom mount 15mm too. I had no choice on the bottom mount as it wouldnt sit any further back because i swapped out my rusty brake servo (the orange) for a thinner but wider one, i think it was from a saxo and the turbo outlet lives right in front of it.

pugdamo

I left my filter where it was,i adjusted the bracket slightly to move it closer to the bulkhead thats all.I also extended the bottom mount by about 15mm and i used the servo from a base model 205.

Rolando

bit of a small up date, just been collecting bits if i'm honest.

base model servo, pedal box as I've heard the BE1 gearbox uses a different clutch cable and pedal box compared to the BE3 but i'm not 100% sure on that. also some twin horns lol

83855452-4c12-483e-b69f-d5340ecd5d5f_zps

GTI6 fly wheel

04e15f3b-e5cf-4210-99ad-98295c0fe469_zps

and some rose jointed gear linkages

4289e98d-74d5-434a-8f20-e08a6069a1ed_zps

hopefully tomorrow i'll have the engine out and the engine bay steamed cleaned but that'll all depend on weather. updates over the weekend hopefully.

cybernck

Those are not rose-jointed gear rods (I hope they haven't been sold to you as them).

• Like 1

Rolando

i did think as i was writing that.. hmmm

didn't get an awful lot done today, stripped the engine down for steam cleaning and painting.

cf21fb78-160f-43b7-b1c4-ef621a017cb3_zps

stripped the cam belt covers off as well to get it pinned up so i can change the belt and pump in the week and noticed that if i lock the cam in place, the crank doesn't line up with the timing pin hole? surely this isn't right??

f470b492-31d9-4a60-9e77-8b53ba59368f_zps

the 2 different fly wheels..

141b01a6-1265-4cab-af8b-d58444088135_zps

also found this in my garage, anyone know how to fit it??

61b30d81-d475-46f2-90f1-7a08c786cd50_zps

Slo

Amazing, every turbo engine i've ever seen that has been neglected has been half covered in talcum powder (ally corrosion) and bottom half caked in oil lol.

That pulley is the same type as the gti6 pulley where the rubber part in the middle perishes and the outer part slips round the inner part so the timing hole wont line up anymore.

No idea what that thing in the last picture is, haven't got anything like it on mine it looks like some kind of bias valve. What's on the end hanging down?

pip470

Try spinning the engine another 180 degrees and see if it lines up then.

Rolando

Amazing, every turbo engine i've ever seen that has been neglected has been half covered in talcum powder (ally corrosion) and bottom half caked in oil lol.

That pulley is the same type as the gti6 pulley where the rubber part in the middle perishes and the outer part slips round the inner part so the timing hole wont line up anymore.

No idea what that thing in the last picture is, haven't got anything like it on mine it looks like some kind of bias valve. What's on the end hanging down?

yeh i know its a shame, i went and had a look at damo's engine bay and its really tidy, done a really good. so i'm hoping to get it around the same standard.

ahh i never thought that might be the reason. i'm pretty sure I've got a couple gti6 pulley's in the garage so i'll have a look and compare.

i'm pretty sure its like a bleed valve for the turbo to like confuse it so it boosts harder if that makes sense?

Try spinning the engine another 180 degrees and see if it lines up then.

I've tried spinning the engine round and it doesn't make a difference.

• Like 1

Steve

Finally finished my turbo conversion. I'll try to sort a thread out if I can figure out out reduce the size of my photos. At curborough this Friday for a sprint day, just time to sort out my boost controller and a little more dash wiring.

Slo

Yay another barge lump lives on :) Size wont matter if you use photobucket or something similar steve

Steve

Yay another barge lump lives on :) Size wont matter if you use photobucket or something similar steve

Added the pictures

Fitting A 205 With A Citroen Xm Turbo Engine
  • Like 1

Steve

Where mate?

"Fitting A 205 With A Citroen Xm Turbo Engine" i started a thread, i didn't want to hijack this thread :unsure:​

Rolando

thought id best update this some more. i managed to get the old engine and box and was graced with grease and oil everywhere so after a steam clean i could tell what was rust and what had been dirt!

before

FF04316E_zps97763ac3.jpg

after

FCB57B21_zpse0c15d97.jpg

after i done this back in may, i lost all interest in it and it stayed like this unitll a couple of weeks ago when i found myself a nice BE3 306 hdi gearbox for a lovely £25 at the scrapyard. i know some of you will moan saying its a risk as i dont know if the box will be any good but for £25 i'm not bothered! its not really the box i wanted what with the longer ratios but its not a racing machine and wont win any prizes! i steamed cleaned the box along with the engine. changed the diff and leaver, painted it all up and started to assemble it all!

2B289D8D_zps78d67d33.jpg

46429082-7ff4-446b-9c35-9bf8212bb06f_zps

i also changed the crank seals, water pump and cambelt while i was in the mood and had motivation, and then made a start fitting the alternator, PAS pump, starter motor

18CC5CEB_zps91455762.jpg

76035142_zpsa6fe5d64.jpg

and this is how ive left the engine for now. ive sent the rocker cover and 2 of the alloy boost pipes away for powder coating so should have them back in a week or so.

also ordered the lower cambelt cover piece, so waiting for that to turn up!

9D2DFBF3_zps6d34c0b1.jpg

so with having done as much as i can to the engine i turned back to the car its self. ive decided i want to spray it Miami blue. couple of reason, just so i can sort out all the rust spots all over, because its had a cheap lash up of a spray job before and because blues my favourite colour. so the past couple of days ive been stripping the engine bay.

also i took the dash as it was cracked and falling to pieces and held together with wood screws and no more nails!!! not really wanting to do this but its the easiest option and cheapest plus i can sort the wiring out for the engine at the same time. i'm currently in the middle of sorting out a phase 2 dash loom, just the price to sort out!ha also Andy (Slo) is helping/advising me what to do and things to watch out for and i couldn't be thankful enough! true gent!

186cb3a4-7605-459f-9d82-94350f6bb706_zps

and thats about it for now!

Slo

They truly are an ugly engine, well once you get all the pipes n wires on.

Its worth the effort though,far more pros (boost, reliability if done right, boost, cheap to insure on modified insurance, boost) than cons (looks, weight, not straight forward conversion needing an ocean of different car parts and some fabrication).

Can get costly though depending on what you want to achieve.

Your lucky to have pugdamo as a mate to help you through it too as he gave me a ton of information in my 24 hours of need :)

Steve

Hi Rolando, i can definitely agree with Slo. The turbo conversion can be challenging, however BOOST :) .

Did mine slightly different, but tried different gearboxes and found the turbo diesel to be the the best option for ME.

I have done just over 5000 miles since the conversion including a trip to spa and the nurburgring. No problems and I am running one bar boost. I did a track day at curborough and achieved a 36.4 lap, which was .4 behind a 330 bhp Subaru. Well happy.

You 100% need to fit a oil cooler for track use as that turbo really tests the oil system.

Good luck with the build it's well worth it.

Rolando

done a little bit more but not a lot really as I've bought a good wood that I've been trying to get running but thats running now which i'm chuffed with and can now turn my attention back to the cti.

so i made a start with the inlet manifold and throttle body cleaning it up and painting it.

before;

a4e6e851-96a4-42e5-b729-8054231425fc_zps

630985DF_zpse5e31604.jpg

after;

A182B460_zps2cc9d5c9.jpg

80B7CCC6_zps344f1b80.jpg

7B2FA040_zps0ee9e6a6.jpg

ive also fitted it along with the loom but didn't get a pic of it. also my powder coated bits turned up as well so hopefully i'll finish and complete the engine this week.

E839AC73_zpsdc29e41d.jpg

also made a start removing the front headlight panel but need to remove the wing to finish it off. any ideas what the best way is to remove the wing?

C7987617_zps3c32dec1.jpg

hopefully have another update next weekend :D

• Like 2

Slo

Yikes looks fun can you update this headlight panel swap process as you go as I may be doing this to john-melbourne's cti at some point as its particularly bad in exactly the same areas. Would be good to get some idea what to expect along the way. Are you removing the crossmember at the front too?