• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Anyone Recognise This Engine?

dobboy

I would of bought an engine in the first place that was known good, you can do all the compression related tests you like but it won't show up if the bottom end bearings etc are dead.

Just put it in as it is and see, otherwise rebuild it or buy a decent engine from a decent known source.

Al

Alistair, I search high and low for a while to get an engine, I thought I was going to have to buy a full car but I don't get much "me" time, and most of my storage space is accounted for... so that was ruled out.

A few engines have popped up since on the bay, but again your just taking your chances.

As far as myself and jazz know, this engine is good, but for the sake of a £10 kit and half an hour at it, it will go a long way to assuring me.

Miles recommends I do it, so I'll take his advice.

dobboy

I know I am a bit biased but you are worrying far too much, once you start you will realise how simple it really is to change engines. At the end of the day its only nuts and bolts

I'm not worrying, I'll be assisting a pal who's already done it. But I'd rather not ask twice, and apart from that I need to borrow hoist and stuff, and I don't want to be asking twice for the gear either.

God this thread is getting big! It started off with a simple question.

Roon

What's that saying? Buy cheap buy twice...

With the correct parts to do the swap it's really not all that difficult

welshpug

for the sake of a £10 kit and half an hour at it

so what the hell have you been doing the last TWO WEEKS?!

• Like 1

dobboy

Feckin plenty..... Boss!

Edited by dobboy

harryskid

Spent most of his time on here! :lol:

shalmaneser

This is the way science goes forward:D

A2a0WD7.gif

Have you tested the fecking thing yet?

• Like 1

dobboy

Still waiting on a little adapter coming for my air line.

theo-mi16-gr

Some things is better to buy them from a local shop!

Daviewonder

Some things is better to buy them from a local shop!

_859894_league150.jpg

• Like 3

theo-mi16-gr

Dave..stop looking at me with these eyes..:D

• Like 1

dobboy

Just completed leak down test, had a slight leak on one joint on a pipe when doing it.

Used 100psi at the compressor.

Cyl 1 90psi

4. 87 psi

2. 89 psi

3. 87psi

Think it all looks good.

theo-mi16-gr

Perhaps It is even better than you think.Your valves most probably dont seal perfectly as the engine hasn't run for a while.I am almost sure if you put it on,run it a bit and test it warm,the results ll be even better.Well done:)

Edited by theo-mi16-gr

dobboy

Perhaps It is even better than you think.Your valves most probably dont seal perfectly as the engine hasn't run for a while.I am almost sure if you put it on,run it a bit and test it warm,the results ll be even better.Well done:)

Never thought about that.

It takes longer to set up, strip plugs out etc than do the test. Not sure how calibrated my dials are but I expect the results would be a tiny bit better with no leaky pipe.

Worthwhile exercise for me for peace of mind.

camgti

Nice work!

Now get that sucker in!

Been an interesting, yet strange read. Been waiting for a result!

Good on you for sticking to your guns and getting the peace of mind you needed

Cam

dobboy

Cheers Cam.

Not far away from putting engine in, but still a wee bit to do to build all the outside of engine up......and i dont have much play time at the minute.....and I can only do one miracle at a time! Lol

Tempted to send the injectors away for a treat, before I build the manifold back up.

Anyone seen any significant benefits from an injector clean and service?

theo-mi16-gr

Only at high mileage engines..but you had to ask..i know:D

camgti

Get them done. Its not that expensive and is another good practice. I had mine done and they were not performing correctly. The guy who did mine was telling me that it only takes about a month of no use for them to start scaling/blocking up and had never had a set that were perfect etc ( theres a term for what happens to them I just dont know it )

The more you can do while its out the better. Although not the hardest thing to take out.

If you can be bothered, give the TB a clean as well as the inlet. You never know whats been in there. Mine was filthy from sitting and had old oil and fuel all over the place. I also replaced the vacuum hose and gaskets for TB and Inlet as these motors can give you mares if theres a tiny air leak

Cam

dobboy

Thanks Cam, where do you get it done? And how much did it cost?

I've had the throttle body done, and new gaskets on everything that came off I had to buy 10 TB gaskets from pug!

You know the vacuum hose? How are you meant to disconnect it without breaking it?

Cheers

theo-mi16-gr

About a month? i am sure the guy has a lot of work :unsure:

theo-mi16-gr

It is a good thing to do it every e.g 50k miles but the difference in other situation will be hardly noticed (unless your petrol quality sucks)..and this thing within a month sounds like a joke..i was wondering always if a small jewel ultrasonic cleaner is a good solution for giving a clean once a yr as it cost one cleaning service..

camgti

Im in OZ so not sure. Ive heard of a Forum member in the Uk that can do it. Not sure of their name. Im sure someone local can do it.

And some light reading about why the clogg theo.

Fuel itself is what causes deposits that lead to an injector clogging. Gasoline is a mixture of many heavy and waxy compounds made up of different hydrocarbons, including oilfins. The heavier the hydrocarbon, the more energy it yields when it burns. Fuel injectors undergo a lot of heatsoak when the engine is turned off. The waxy oilfins are left behind when the fuel residue in the injector nozzle evaporates. While the engine is off there is no airflow to cool the injectors down or fuel flow to wash away the residue. This is what causes the oilfins to harden and cause deposits, clogging the injector(s) over time. Because this is a perfectly normal consequence of engine operation, detergents are added to gasoline to help prevent this as much as possible. When an engine is run hard or for very short trips, the deposits can build up faster than the detergents can help to wash them away. This is the same principle used with turbochargers and the use of a turbo timer. Turbo timers are primarily marketed to allow an engine to run for a period of time (usually specified by the end user) to allow the car to "cool" before stopping the flow of fluids.

Cam

theo-mi16-gr

Same principle? I cant see it..and i am trying...

And a simple example..a friend with a corolla..had 180k km..no use of additive ever..he had them cleaned..no difference at all..at least he couldn't notice it.if injectors were blocked that easily,with such mileage the car should have serious driveability problems..

Edited by theo-mi16-gr

camgti

Corolla and gti6 are 2 totally different engines. You could run the corolla on butter

Cam

Edited by camgti

Reebmit

Thanks Cam, where do you get it done? And how much did it cost?

I've had the throttle body done, and new gaskets on everything that came off I had to buy 10 TB gaskets from pug!

You know the vacuum hose? How are you meant to disconnect it without breaking it?

Cheers

Hi Jack, I think the following link may help,think he still does it, he's on the forum

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=106738