• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Plumbob

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

Plumbob

Spark plugs were tight! I suppose I could check them again. I did all the coil packs and injectors one by one last night and they all made the idle and running worse. Also the ECU light came on every time I unplugged a coil.

The VSS is wired as per the nice colour diagram that's floating around on here and 306 GTI.com of the engine management system and I guess that's working! I'm not getting a flat spot as such just a misfire.

I might just go down the non scientific route of getting a new lambda and seeing what happens. It's number one on my hit list at the moment as the wires aren't the best... And it makes no difference to the engine idle or running whether it's plugged in or not.

Plumbob

Oh I also tried unplugging the PAS sensor too, that made no difference either.

Checked the resistance of the injectors and they were all something like 16.4 ohms. One of them is quite noisy I notice. Makes quite a clacking noise. It shuts up when you un plug it :-)

dobboy

I think this is the one i used, (as i have it bookmarked)

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/bosch/price.pl?item=0258003717

Noisy injector, doesn't sound too good.

I ordered a new ecu coolant temp sensor last night for mine, as the CTS seems to be responsible for a lot of issues that i don't want in a hurry lol

Plumbob

So on a more positive note other than the idle issue I'm very happy with the car. There were no advisories on the MOT just went straight through! The emissions were low too! Not too sure they are right now!

Got a new pair of speakers (shop only had one pair in stock) and swapped over the pug plugs to make them as neat as possible. They even clipped back onto the speaker!

Got out my xmas presents and made up two sets of keys! Woohoo!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along with this. Speno (spencer) in particular who always has a stock of bits that he's willing to send when I'm caught short...

I'll try and make it to as many events as possible to put a few faces to names...

7F6A7501-1F52-4EA4-A3DB-819DE16D3166_zps

BC1A019D-D5DE-48DE-9217-2CEB15BDDBBA_zps

E0EA1218-FC21-4D59-B86F-B0B9EB594D56_zps

6544CAE7-B9BE-4180-861B-C7431E6C6DD4_zps

DC7C7E1D-B716-4C1A-9F54-595135CAD31E_zps

Edited by Plumbob
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

Looks great, well done buddy.

speno

See you on Tuesday for tales of sausage and mash

Plumbob

Less of the sausage pal! People will think there's something going on between us!!

Cheers Tom!

I'll take some more photos of the interior etc and post them up...

Andy_C

That looks proper tidy. Shame I missed you when I collected the beam - would like to have seen this in the metal.

Plumbob

Cheers. Yes it's not bad (if I say so myself) I'll be honest though it needs new red bumper trims, sunroof trims (all three) and rear window seals (they've shrunk) but all the main stuff is alright. Pop in if you're passing.

dobboy

Great effort PB. Looks brill.

Plumbob

Right then!

I've changed the lambda and although it's not fixed my original "hunting" problem I must say it does seem to make the car run smoother (hope that makes sense)! And it seems to be cooler or maybe I'm imagining it..

Still got the problem though and the spluttering when on partial throttle... I've done a little video, it does the little murmur at idle just at the beginning and right at the end, notice the clacking noise has stopped! This was with the engine fully warmed up. I've also tried unplugging the VSS and it made no change to this problem...

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/junk13/media/E12B8977-D9F5-4C24-A08F-FB7C2D59DD46_zps99e1hyzi.mp4.html

Edited by Plumbob
  • Like 1

dobboy

PB, it doesn't sound like it's missing. Just sounds like it rev's up a bit?

Think i'd be looking at the CTS next if i were you, and also see what you thought was a noisy injector is all about.

With the CTS you could measure the resistance cold, then again a few times as it heats up, refering to the dash temp gauge, and you wouldn't need to drain coolant etc.

eddie bullit

I love the PTS wheels but, they always look over-tyred to me. sorry for the negative remark. The pug looks great by the way!

ps. I'm probably just old fashioned. love the 434s

Edited by eddie bullit

Plumbob

Thanks eddie, no problem for the tyre comment, each to their own! I just always wanted a set of those wheels and am fortunate enough to be able to buy some. I've still got the 1.9's too sadly SMR's. I won't be selling them, I'll hang on to them just in case I have a total change of plan.

DB, it doesn't "miss" as such at idle but that shimmy it does only happens when it's on the brink of stuttering when you pull away. I know that once the idle does that little cough that the next time I drive off its gonna crackle, pop and possibly spit flames. Haha. I've already checked the resistance of the CTS but only when the engine was luke warm. It was reading a resistance that was appropriate for about 25 degrees at a guess it probably wasn't far off the mark. You are right though I should maybe test it at a few more temps to see if its accurate all through the range.... I'll get there and when I do ... Watch out! :-)

• Like 1

dobboy

If you think the CTS is ok what else is unckecked that it could be that would still let the engine run if it was knacked?

How's the car been anyway? have you managed to clock up any spirited miles?

Plumbob

Injectors. MAP, TPS all sorts of stuff. Maybe a coil pack. I've got a spare MAP I think that came with the car. Its not at my house at the moment. I'll try and get my hands on it this weekend.

The car is good though generally, for the first twenty minutes or so anyway. Goes pretty well. Not managed to drive it much. It's difficult right now as we're packing up the house too so my 205 time is limited!

eddie bullit

Thanks eddie, no problem for the tyre comment, each to their own! I just always wanted a set of those wheels and am fortunate enough to be able to buy some. I've still got the 1.9's too sadly SMR's. I won't be selling them, I'll hang on to them just in case I have a total change of plan.

They are cracking looking wheels. I still fancy a set myself! I really like the lightweight Rota 5 spokes as well and also fancy the Dimma/Image 3 piece fronts although they're 16" I think.

Plumbob

Lads, any idea what the "normal" temperature of a GTI-6 lump would be after a 20 minute thrash? 90? 100 degrees?

jackherer

It should be at the temperature the thermostat is rated at (83 degrees IIRC) and it will rise to the temperature the fan switch is rated at (88 degrees) when the fan will come on and it will start to go down again.

Plumbob

Brill thankyou. I'll report back later.

dobboy

I would say it can heat to just above 90 even though the fan is trying to cool it. 3/4 line rings a bell.

Plumbob

Right then....

Trying to get to the bottom of my spluttering. I'm thinking it's the coolant temp sensor and so I took the car out for a long drive, as usual once the engine warmed up it started the pop pop splutter when pulling away. Checked the resistance of the green sensor and it was 470 ohms. According to the autodata info on the 306 forum this works out to roughly the 70 degree mark (70 isn't on the list but I worked it out).

Thinking that the engine should be at around the 80 degree mark or a bit higher I stabbed a 330 ohm resistor in the plug and went for a drive... The result... Much better, sometimes I pulled away with no drama and maybe two times in ten it made a single splutter and then pulled away fine. I reckon if a had a 250 ohm it would make it run perfectly.

This is my question to you lot who may know.. When these sensors go bad do they usually go bad in a big way and throw up insane readings or can they drift "slightly" out and cause these little issues like I'm having?

Other than this splutter once warmed up the car runs fine.

dobboy

I just replaced mines at the weekend, not sure if they gradually deteriorate etc. They were for sale on ebay for £18 delivered last week.

1920 K9 is the part, green with a yellow plastic ring.

You can have my old one to try if you like, it worked fine when i took it out.