• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Plumbob

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

Plumbob

It passed its MOT!

:P

• Like 2

dobboy

Great stuff PB.

Out cruising tonight?

Careful with the LOOS!

Plumbob

Right then.... I did about 60 miles yesterday and it seemed to be alright. The "clacking" noise even seems to have gone away when the car is warm. However..... When not far from home I dipped the clutch to change down a gear for a roundabout and the revs hung a little high (1500). Gave the pedal a blip and it settled back down to normal. Thought nothing of it.... Then shortly after that I got a little misfire, which then cleared. Next time I came to a stop, approx every 10 seconds the revs dropped by 100rpm ish for a split second then go back to normal.. Followed by a bit of spluttering when pulling away (sounds like it's running on three cyl). Drove back home, had a look around the bay and did a bit of research and tried unplugging the MAP, engine died straight away. Turned off the car, unplugged the battery and took the ICV out (was clean) and replaced. Wobbled all the other plugs and all seemed ok. Gave up and went in.

Today I went out. Car started fine and ran fine until warm, then the same problem. I then tried un plugging the injectors and they all caused the engine to labour a bit (Same for each one). Then did the same with the coil packs. Unplugged each one in turn and it made the engine management light come on (that works then!) obviously the engine note changed when I un plugged them but no single one was worse than the other.

Next I unplugged the Lambda sensor and the engine note didn't change whatsoever. Could this be the problem? Should I have noticed a change? I know the wires don't look fab just as they go into the body of the sensor. The engine was hot at the time, the fan had come on and off a couple of times by this stage.

My thinking at this stage is either lambda or maybe the timing is slightly off. I was happy with it when I did it originally but maybe something happened during my drive yesterday. I've not been thrashing the tits off it yet... Would I see these kind of symptoms of it "missing a beat" if the belt had jumped a tooth? Can that even happen without the engine killing itself?

I've only managed to get the cam cover partially out the way so far as the strut brace is in the way (bloody thing) but I was able to see the cam pulleys and the outers haven't moved in relation to the inner spider.... Any thoughts? Blown head gasket? :-) There's no mayo, no coolant loss, the top hose doesn't get rock hard even when it's hot (just firm but still squash-able) before anyone asks.

This whole project to this stage was only the beginning! I've only effectively had it a day and it's already playing up! Bloody thing..

Any useful input lads?

Slo

Have you tried unplugging the lambda?

Have you tried running it with the lambda unplugged? ie giving it a good thrash flat out

Edited by Slo

Plumbob

Yes mate thats what I did, made no difference to the "missing" idle and I drove it up the road and sure enough it still spluttered, sounds a bit like a scooby to be honest (best way to describe it). If you rev it out a bit it'll clear and be fine for a while until you slow down again. It idles ok but every 10 sec or so it just dips maybe not even 100 rpm, just 50 perhaps. The rev counter hardly has time to react.

Am I right in thinking that unplugging it SHOULD make a difference if its working properly and not make any difference if its not? Thats what i'm leaning towards..

dobboy

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80340&page=1

I tested my lambda that came originally and it failed, so replaced it. The only thing i noticed was the engine appeared to run sweater with the new one. prior to changing it there was no obvious issues iirc.

Could you have a dodgy injector?

I have a full spare scrap engine with most sensors, coil packs, injectors etc on it, if you need anything to try let me know.

Plumbob

I've left my fluke at the customer I'm working at but I'll check the resistance tomorrow of all of them. I had an injector go bad on my old Clio 182 (dirty word around here) and it felt the same to be honest...

Also thankyou for the offer I may just take you up on that

Edited by Plumbob

Slo

With it unplugged the engine will get maximum fuel so it should go faster and be a tad more responsive, trade off is shocking fuel economy and a tendency to get hot very fast. It shouldnt affect a misfire though, would be same plugged in or not.

dobboy

PB, to add to that, when doing mine i got my injectors cleaned/matched etc on an ASNU machine (£65), but my current mpg is fantastic. Maybe worth considering.

Maybe worth finding out what the symptoms of a dodgy fuel press reg too are?

Slo

buckaroo city, i think i have this issue from 60 upwards its really bad and a shooting backbox but fine below 60

dobboy

Iirc there should be two closed circuits on the llambda, outer two pins is one circuit, and inner two is another. (One circuit is a heater iirc)

Slo

yes 20 amp fuse for that, if the heater is bust the sensor is useless

Plumbob

If it was the injectors wouldn't it be happening all the time? This only happens when it's warmed up.. Car does kinda smell of petrol though. Maybe I'll give all the temp sensors a once over with my meter too..

Plumbob

The heater wasn't even wired up when I got the engine and loom. I've added the 12v to it myself. Maybe I'll test that too, make sure it's actually getting 12v

Edited by Plumbob

Slo

unscrew it and replace it with a bolt then run the engine to see if the lambda heats up

dobboy

Also, if your injectors are electrically ok, bear in mind there is a little metal gause filter inside them. The guy who cleaned mine told me these should get replaced every 60k iirc as they clog up with crap. He said he could see silicon on mine caused by old fuel and recommended i added an additive to my tank every 3 or 4 months whether the car gets used regularly or not.

Plumbob

Ok lads. Ta...

I've got to say that all this chat about the gearbox has left me confused. Mine is a bit of a nutcase just as it is with the 1.9 box! Maybe the flywheel is helping but my word it's pretty nippy!! I need to take a ride in a VTS box'd one...

dobboy

Is it?!

I dunno what to expect of mine now, i suspected the 1.9 box could be a good bit better with flywheel, but would love to know to what extent. Will you get a video if you get a chance?

Having said that, i thought mines was good until sat side by side with one with a gti6 box and it left me standing.

How's your Quaife?

Plumbob

The Quaiffe seems to quietly go about it's business. Not managed to light up the tyres but in all honesty I'm not ragging it around too much as I'm scared it'll drop to bits. Can't say I'm enjoying the group N engine mounts much!

On the couple of occasions I've given it some stick it's honestly pretty bonkers. Would also like a ride in another one to decide if my scorpion exhaust is excessively loud or not. It makes a nice raspy sound but maybe in a little bit of a chavvy way :-)

dobboy

Yeah, you'll find the quaife a bit of a silent assassin. It would be the first thing i would buy if i ever bought another 205.

Regular spanner checks until it all settles in and you've clocked up a few miles just to be safe.

Can't wait to get back out in mine now lol

Plumbob

Yeah i'll go over it all with the torque wrench again in a while.

jackherer

The thing with long gearboxes like the 1.9 with high revving 16v engines is the speeds you have to take each gear to in order to use the full power. A 1.9 box on a standard Mi16 (7200 rpm) goes to something like 71mph in 2nd gear!

How high have you been revving yours? If you haven't taken 2nd to 70mph yet you haven't felt the full power :lol:

Plumbob

Not done that yet no! :D Just trying to figure out if I've got a duff headgasket on my hands.. god I hope not, really can't be arsed to take it all apart.. moving house on the 12th of Feb and I don't really have any spare time to be buggering about with it.. grrrr :angry:

Plumbob

Anyone else got any idea if the lambda could cause this hunting issue and spluttering at low rpm...?

dobboy

PB, just a thought, is all the spark plugs definately tight?

You could maybe try holding the at say 2krpm with a cable tie on the throttle and try disconnecting coil packs, injectors etc and see if anything odd occurs or doesn't.

Also what did you do down at the VSS, does it miss when stationary with some throttle?