• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peter

[engine_work] Budget 16V Turbo In Laser Green

wicked

Other advantage is the value for money; I grabbed that Evo VI turbo from ebay for ~120 quid.... Try to find a used GT28RS for that money....

peter

Looking into the evo turbos and they are cheap!

The flanges are easily available and i could just weld the tubes at the same shallow angle, but i like wicked has mentioned there wont be enough room in the 205 engine bay even when side mounting the turbo, the current setup has a tight 90 degree bend before it enters the turbo that almost touch the gearbox and the turbo almost touches the bonnet!

@Petert, what benifit does the twinscroll shallow entry give?

As for the mapping the car has developed another fault, where it wont boost as it should so i need to sort that first.

On another note, the car pinks at anything leaner than 13:1 at ~less than 8.5:1 CR (this was only happening fro a split second at the end of the revs) That was at 0.7 bar boost, once the fueling was upped the car would hit the limiter in 5th with the 306 dturbo gearbox in less than 1/2 mile, out accelerating a V8 R8, litteraly the car lost boost preassure seconds after.

still not sure what EPROM programer to go for, :wacko:

wicked

Some theory on twin scroll turbo's:

http://www.modified....gn/viewall.html

conclusion:

All this hard work does translate to serious performance gains in the power-delivery department, particularly at spool-up and peak torque where sophisticated tubular twin-scroll manifolds properly matched to a twin-scroll turbo deliver superior airflow to single-scroll or OE twin-scroll designs. According to Geoff, "Our twin-scroll turbo kits have a higher average cylinder pressure and turbine efficiency, while single-scroll systems tend to have a higher peak cylinder pressure and exhaust backpressure. We have found the twin-scroll systems have higher backpressure at low rpm (which is good for turbo spool-up) and lower backpressure at high rpm (which is good for top-end performance). On the other hand, single-scroll systems have lower backpressure at low rpm (bad for spool-up) and higher backpressure at high rpm (which hurts top-end performance)." In order to realize the full benefit of a top-shelf twin-scroll system like one of Full-Race's, the manifold design and A/R ratio of the turbo must be spot-on, so it's best to get the help of a professional when choosing a turbo for this type of system.

It's certainly possible to generate huge power and great high-rpm performance with a single-scroll turbo system. There are plenty of examples of very high-horsepower, single-scroll turbocharged engines out there, but with single-scroll systems spool-up and response are much slower than with a twin-scroll design, yet twin-scroll systems still provide excellent top end performance. Although switching from single-scroll to twin-scroll can be expensive, for hard-core boost junkies who want much faster throttle response without giving up any top end, there is no better solution. With the added benefits of higher turbine efficiency, lower cylinder temps and EGTs which allow more aggressive timing and fuel mapping, and the freedom to run more overlap,twin-scroll turbo system design is really a perfect match for the high specific output engines featured in many of our favorite sport compact machines.

Edited by wicked
  • Like 1

peter

Sounds good, but are the gains THAT noticeable?

The way thats worded it suggests that the difference is like night and day, but in real world terms it might just be a few tenths on a 1/4 mile?

wicked

Donno... doubt if anyone would do a conversion twice to prove the difference...

But:

- faster spool-up

- lower back pressure at high rpm

- higher turbine efficiency

- lower cylinder temps

- lower EGT = more aggressive timing and fuel mapping

- more overlap on cams

do all sound nice on a conversion with N/A 16v engine....

Strictly_Derv

Have you looked into VNT's?

peter

@wicked, yes but all those things may only be minute improvements.

As for VNT i found a gt2256v in a box of parts but never really looked into using it due to needing an ecu to control the actuator.

However i think this is going a bit off topic....

The s16 engined 205 that made ~466hp just with a big turbo and a stand alone, Thats what i want!! :D

peter

that power*

But really if i can get a big enough turbo for a budget price, then map the standard ecu, it would be well within budget :D

Edited by peter

peter

Well after looking at 4 different ecus i dont have one with a removable eprom, they all must be 1996 onwards and use a 24pin eprom soldered to the motherboard.

So i could do with an older type ecu, from an xm or 605 i think!

wicked

The 26...219 ECU from the RGY (xm, 605) engine has removable eprom

peter

thats a shame, i had two of those but i sold them with an engine, actually its someone on here that ended up getting it, it had an RX7 fmic.

So is the 24pin eprom with this ecu where the bin file is held?

peter

Thinking about fitting a gt3076 turbo and going for BIG power,

What problems do you think i may encounter?

The areas I'm not concerned with failing are the pistons and rods.

However i think i will need a lager intercooler than the cossie 2wd one, and the 270cc injectors will be far too small.

So some 1000cc injectors and a 2.5" intercooler then it mapped to 450hp?

What do you think?

BlueBolt

You're a braver man than many!!

That's what I think...!!

Be interested to see how long it lasts for though :lol:

stef205
Thinking about fitting a gt3076 turbo and going for BIG power,

What problems do you think i may encounter?

The areas I'm not concerned with failing are the pistons and rods.

However i think i will need a lager intercooler than the cossie 2wd one, and the 270cc injectors will be far too small.

So some 1000cc injectors and a 2.5" intercooler then it mapped to 450hp?

What do you think?

Melted pistons etc.

I do think you'd be better off with some proper management on it. I'm using 380cc injectors I'm surprised it didn't run really lean with 270cc

peter

Its running higer fuel pressure though,

What sort of power are you running with 380cc?

The standard ecu can be mapped just like a stand alone.

stef205

I'm hoping for 240-250 once I've sorted my issues I'm at around 205-210 atm.

peter

My setup should be good for 300+ with propper mapping, I might try it at that before fitting the gt30

NFS

Nice Build, so if i have read this thread right, you can add a 406 sri 8v turbo bottom end onto a GTI-6 head, and have the pistons cut for the extra values, and all the pathways line up? sound interesting :)

peter

not sure, i bolted it on and it hasnt blown up yet ;)

I was thinking about making it 4x4 with the peugeot mix4 box but apparently there crap,

so.... audi s3 gearbox can be had for 200£ it doesnt look that hard to fit, but how do you go about making the gearbox main shaft fit the clutch plate? just use the audi clutch plate? and make it fit the pug flywheel?

BlueBolt

I admire you're "out of the box" thinking and am going to be watching with a lot of interest at your results!!!

NFS

What head gasket did you use? Cheers

peter

I dont think outside the box, i tear the box up. :blink:

any xu10 gasket should work, ive used a gti6 one and a 8v turbo one.

now fitting this audi gearbox... :wacko:

peter

402405_10151131539576566_407916114_n.jpg

kyepan

any videos of it running?