• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16 Drift/track Car

cybernck

Wow, brilliant! I've always adored the ST looks and would have definately wanted that front bumper for my T16 B).

AlexN
Wow, brilliant! I've always adored the ST looks and would have definately wanted that front bumper for my T16 B).

Thanks! I think this lot should make my car look the business! I just need to learn to drive properly so that I can do it some justice!

Btw nice number of posts, the number of the beast :P

cybernck

Hahaha, indeed. Well spotted that. It's usually me who spots these things :).

Any updates?

AlexN

Hahaha, indeed. Well spotted that. It's usually me who spots these things :).

Any updates?

:D Not much to update recently, I have given the block one final coat of paint and I have received my set of T16 big end bearings so I will hopefully start to rebuild the engine this weekend. Then I will turn my attention to the transfer box and gearbox!

cammmy

seriously, make moulds of those body bits and I will buy.

Those arches steel then? You going to contemplate having them moulded and done in fibre? I would be keen as I want to bring my wheels out (allowed 2.5cm spacers with motorsport exemption over here) so already widened, fibre arches would rock.

Edited by cammmy

AlexN
seriously, make moulds of those body bits and I will buy.

Those arches steel then? You going to contemplate having them moulded and done in fibre? I would be keen as I want to bring my wheels out (allowed 2.5cm spacers with motorsport exemption over here) so already widened, fibre arches would rock.

Yes the arches are steel. What I would be willing to to do is split the cost of the moulds between however many people are interested initially in the splitter, rear wing and arches. I don't necessarily need to buy any replacements at this stage but having the moulds available would mean it wouldn't be such an issue if I break any of the parts.

As soon as everything arrives I will meet with chap who is going to make them and get some prices for fibreglass and carbon sorted out.

cammmy

I would be interested in buying moulds for all the front peices. be keen for spoiler too, not sure If I would need a mould but depending on the price...

wesly

my first post on this forum, I need to say I just love your project :blink:

i'm also interested iff you ever gonna sell copy's of that front splitter :P

would look nice on my project to...

ceep on goin; you got my attention here :o

AlexN
my first post on this forum, I need to say I just love your project :blink:

i'm also interested iff you ever gonna sell copy's of that front splitter :P

would look nice on my project to...

ceep on goin; you got my attention here :o

Hi, welcome to the forum! I have just read your other thread, it's should be an interesting project! Are you going to keep the engine and everything standard? There was/is a 405 Mi16 touring car replica somewhere in the UK, just running the standard engine afaik.

I am hopefully going to get quotes for getting moulds of the parts in the next few days, so I will let everyone know when I have some prices.

JeffR

There's a big difference between your rear wing & wesly's. Did the various teams in UK & Europe develop them seperately?

Would the higher pitched one (wesly) be better on tracks with short straights where the extra drag wouldn't be an issue?

AlexN

I know that there were 'high' and 'normal' downforce rear wings, the high downforce one having a more pronounced rear lip (like Wesley's). However, what real difference there was in the performance of the two wings is probably quite small especially on a saloon. The shape of the 405 (and any other saloon) means boot lip spoilers effectiveness is never going to be great. They really need to be in clear air which is probably why the ST wings are wider than the standard road car wing (which I am certain is just for visual effect!) so the edges of the wings provide some lateral stability control.

If you look on touringcarspares.com at the moment they have a lot of mid-90's ST wings for sale, some high downforce some not.

wesly

@ alexn yes ive seen pictures of the other replica, like it a lot ! my engine is gonna be stock for beginning, its just about the looks for me :lol:

about the wings, mine is actualy a copy of the ford mondeo wings, it got a stamp of ford motorsport in it.

cammmy

Hey Alex

Any word on the moulds?

Ta

Cam

AlexN
Hey Alex

Any word on the moulds?

Ta

Cam

I haven't forgotten about this, I just haven't been able to arrange a time for the chap to look at the parts! I will try and get it sorted this week. There seems to be a reasonable number of people interested now so I will try and make this happen over the next few days.

cammmy

Sweet, I'm in no rush. Just that the car will need painting in the near future and would rather not paint panels that will be replaced.

Ta

Cam

AlexN

I got another present in the post today, some nice (nearly) brand new Brembo Gran Turismo brake kits! I was going to use the 406 Brembo calipers, but these came available at a very good price!

As you can see they are huge, even compared to the 406 brakes. The pad area is massive compared with the Peugeot ones, with these and the air cooling from the ducts in my super touring front bumper I should never get fade. I think I will get away with running the standard rear brakes for now. It keeps things simple that way.

I am going to have to get the correct PCD drilled and also get some radial mounting brackets machined (they will probably cost me another dozen doughnuts ;)), but apart from that they have everything ready to fit and use! I can't wait to step on the brake pedal in anger with these fitted!

4526873306_4e33038a70_b.jpg

4526872946_5b6d14455b_b.jpg

4526873760_2659b7ccef_b.jpg

4526242927_7b40f19ae5_b.jpg

4526875112_70fcb18c0c_b.jpg

Sorry for all the photos, but I am so impressed with the quality of these brakes I just had to share them! You can see why the cost over £2000 new!

cammmy

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

wesly

any updates, im verry curious :blink:

AlexN

Yes I have got quite a bit to update, I will try and do a big update in the next few days!

welshpug

I have seen it in the metal :ph34r:

:lol:

AlexN
I have seen it in the metal :ph34r:

:lol:

Ahh so you were down helping Mr Sarty out?

As you have seen, I've still got a lot of work to do if I want to get it finished this year! :D

welshpug

indeed, but at least with yours, you took the car apart so know what to expect when you can't find a piece :lol:

someone else took sarty's 205 apart so there was a hell of a lot missing :wacko:

AlexN

True that, but from what I remember very little of what I took off will be going back on!!

I am really looking forward to rebuilding her, everything will be shiny and new, no oil or muck in sight! God this car has cost me a fortune :lol:

cammmy
God this car has cost me a fortune :lol:

I can imagine. The very little I have done has cost about 2300 pounds (excluding the new car, and that's with the VERY favourable exchange rate of about 2.1 NZD to the Pound atm). Although the average salary is a bit lower here also :D

cammmy

Also, your brakes rule me.

Have you sold your 406 Brembo's? Could you but them on the back? Or could you put the standard front setup on the rear for that matter?