• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16 Drift/track Car

AlexN
Awesome mate. I could be looking at doing something similar but aimed at hill climbs (lots of hills over here). Also very interested to know where you got lexan windows.

Keep it up. will probably PM you in the future begging for advise and suppliers :-)

Thanks! I got the window kit from a company called SRB Power.

Also PM away, I'll be glad to help out when and where I can!

AlexN

I've got my new subframe mounts, they look really good and weigh a lot less than the originals! It's a shame these are going to end up hidden under the back of the car!

4012399302_bdf657763b.jpg

4011625263_4a53e81d2c.jpg

cammmy

That Lexan isn't a bad price at all! Would expect to pay that for a decent windscreen (albeit installed)

cammmy

I'm afraid you are going to have to stop this project. It's just too damn awesome!

B1ack_Mi16

What did those rear beam mounts cost you?

Yesterday I actually decided to take my T16 shell and roll it over so I can work more properly on some small rust issues underneath it :)

Might be making some steel supports this weekend.

AlexN
What did those rear beam mounts cost you?

Yesterday I actually decided to take my T16 shell and roll it over so I can work more properly on some small rust issues underneath it :)

Might be making some steel supports this weekend.

The rear beam mounts cost me a box of sweets! I had them made at my work. They are very well made, aerospace grade aluminium and hollowed out underneath to save weight.

I would definitely recommend making the supports. It makes working on the body work so easy!

AlexN

I been cleaning up my transfer box recently and noticed a small plastic part loose in the transfer box that I found, it's this:

4012395394_fc09c38efd.jpg

It doesn't look to have broken off anything so I assume it slots in somewhere as part of the oil control system. I found it lying in the end of the transfer box where the oil pump gears are. I've also noticed that the remnants of the old oil is pretty sludgy, is this normal or could my viscous coupling have leaked? Is there any way of checking this, the weight perhaps?

Today I also purchased an ECU to use on my engine, I have managed to get hold of Motec M4 for a stupidly cheap price (I don't think the guy who was selling it realised what it was!). I need to get a loom made up for it, but the mapping software is from from Motec and my housemate knows a guy that has a lot of experience mapping them. Has anyone on here had any experience running a Motec on a T16/Mi16? Would anyone have a base map for it? I think I might end up getting an AIM dash to use with this.

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting this on my engine and mapping it. Now I all I have to do engine wise is decide what turbo to use!

JeffR

An impressive project AlexN. You've set the bar high with great attention to detail.

I run a MoTeC M4 on my track car, but there's not much in the way of similarity between your turbo set up & my N/A build, so not much use in the way of maps.

When the time comes, if your housemates' tuning mate can bring his laptop & software over to your car, he should be able to configure the sensors & set it up enough to drive it to the rollers for a proper tune, or failing that you'll have to truck it to his workshop.

Good luck with finishing off the mechanicals & keep us informed of the result.

cammmy

Hey Alex

So you know how thick the rear windscreen is in that kit? More specifically, is it 5mm or thicker?

Cheers

AlexN

Been a while since I updated this, quite a bit has happened in between! The shell is now at Colin Satchell's workshop (he's known more on the 205 forums) to get a roll cage put in and some suspension mods etc.

This evening I went around to Colin's place and the roll cage is near enough complete, and it looks amazing! The cage is extremely comprehensive, and they have done a really neat job at the rear of the car separating the boot from the passenger compartment. The fuel tank is going in the boot on a special frame mount, and it will be completely isolated from the rest of the car.

I also received a pair of Sparco Pro2000 seats today in the post, I can now get my driving position sorted.

Sorry for the slightly dark pics, by the time I got to the car it was dark outside!

4258075238_36409e908b.jpg

4258074610_e15af16369.jpg

I've got cracking on the engine as well, it is mostly stripped down, and hopefully I will be getting a bit of work done on the head then I can get it rebuilt. Things are moving on very nicely indeed!

AlexN
That - looks ACE!

Cheers mate, once it is completed we'll have to set up a 405 run to the ring!

Mr Teflon

This thread is full of WIN !

Max8su
Right people I need your advice on a few things.

Me and a friend are going to build a rear wheel drive 405 Mi16. I know it's probably going to be a bit expensive and an engineering challenge but I really want a track/drift car, I have some money to spend and I love Mi16's. But I want the fun of a rear wheel drive car.

So the plan is to buy a fwd Mi16 and strip it. Seam weld the chassis, weld in a larger transmission tunnel, and get a full cage welded in. Once that is done the tricky bit starts. I have a complete spare 4x4 drive train, and what I intend to do is get the transfer box modified to deliver all the torque to the rear. I'll also get the transfer splines shaft uprated as eventually I want to turbo the car so I want to make sure it can cope.

I want a fwd donor car as it has normal rear suspension, (unless the mounting points for the fwd rear beam and 4x4 rear sub-frame are the same - can someone tell me if they are, as then I will look for a 4bie donor car). I can't see the hydraulic suspension of a 4bie being reliable on track, and it adds a lot of weight. The first question is, can I fit 4x4 rear hubs to the fwd car? Also I would need to build a custom diff mount, but I'm not sure if the standard torsen diff off the 4x4 can cope with 200+ hp? Can anyone tell me what it is rated up to? I guess rebuilding this will be expensive, so was thinking of getting a ford or similar rear diff and get custom drive shafts and prop to fit.

I want to get the car weighing less than a ton, preferably nearer to 900kgs, which I hope will be possible.

Like I said I am serious about doing this project, and we'll hopefully have the donor car bought and stripped this week. I'm expecting it to take about a year to complete, and having two people to share the work/cost should make a less painful experience. I will overcome the engineering difficulties, but if anyone can offer any advice up front it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all!

to be honest i love the idea of it. you will have to blank off the driveshafts at the front and viola done. but then as everyone keeps telling me that the 4wd system is like a chocolate tea pot! however i would love to build a 405 diesel 4wd estate so if the rwd doesnt work out and the price is right ill take it off your hands...but id prefer you to try it to prove everyone wrong :D

Max8su
That - looks ACE!

Cheers mate, once it is completed we'll have to set up a 405 run to the ring!

second me on that run ill bring my Mi16 estate and the rest of my 405 clan

cammmy

What are your plans for the sunroof hole? I am contemplating a fibreglass plug or something for mine. I was thinking after the cage the extra stiffness provided by welding in metal would be marginal.

AlexN
What are your plans for the sunroof hole? I am contemplating a fibreglass plug or something for mine. I was thinking after the cage the extra stiffness provided by welding in metal would be marginal.

Colin is trying to find a non-sunroof 405 saloon to swap roofs with, but they are pretty damn rare. He might have found one though, so fingers crossed. Otherwise it will probably be a welded in plate. The trouble will be making it look OK, it will never match the curvature of the rest of the roof.

cammmy

Is it possible to take the roof off? Would he be cutting it off then welding the new one on?

AlexN
Is it possible to take the roof off? Would he be cutting it off then welding the new one on?

Yeah apparently you can un-tack all the original welds and it comes off quite easily. He's done it a few times on 205's.

Jer309GTi

I'm loving this thread, thanks for keeping us updated! :)

JeffR

I discovered my 405 has had a new roof skin fitted as it was a hail damaged car from Queensland, Aust. when I stripped it out. Roof skin still has part no. sticker on it-8301-45. Looks like with both screens out it wouldn't have been too hard to do.

Alex, your cage looks fantastic. What material are you using & have you any idea of the approx weight? I'm off to see about a cage today, though it's unlikely I could afford anything as shmick as yours!

petert1345402284

Strange how markets differ. Most 405's in Oz didn't have a sunroof, yet all had A/C climate control. They must have been thinking of our skin cancers.

AlexN
Strange how markets differ. Most 405's in Oz didn't have a sunroof, yet all had A/C climate control. They must have been thinking of our skin cancers.

Yeah it must have been an Australian requirement. They seem to be as rare as rocking horse sh1t over here.

Talking of which, car that we thought we were going to get without a sunroof has fallen through, so Colin has shaped a piece of metal to seal in there. I will get some photos tomorrow of it.

The pedal box is in and the steering column is coming along. Not much more fabrication work left before it is ready to paint!! Just got to get my set of Gaz shocks ordered :D

to be honest i love the idea of it. you will have to blank off the driveshafts at the front and viola done. but then as everyone keeps telling me that the 4wd system is like a chocolate tea pot! however i would love to build a 405 diesel 4wd estate so if the rwd doesnt work out and the price is right ill take it off your hands...but id prefer you to try it to prove everyone wrong biggrin.gif

The more I looked into the workings of the transfer box, the more I realised converting it to rwd was going to be difficult, costly and ultimately no stronger than a well sorted 4wd box could be. The weak point is the connecting shaft from the gearbox to transfer box, replace this and the hp the box can take shoots up - you would need to replace this regardless of 4wd or rwd. After this the central diff is the next weakest point, but is much cheaper to upgrade than converting to rwd. The problem is just removing the front drive shafts doesn't stop the box splitting the torque. The car is now staying as a 4wd.

B1ack_Mi16

I was under the impression that the gearbox is quite weak also, so after transferbox is uprated with proper central differential holder and pinions for both center and front diff... the gearbox is probably going say goodbye also.

How much power are you aiming for Alex, talking 250-350ish or 500-600 ish? :rolleyes:

AlexN
I was under the impression that the gearbox is quite weak also, so after transferbox is uprated with proper central differential holder and pinions for both center and front diff... the gearbox is probably going say goodbye also.

How much power are you aiming for Alex, talking 250-350ish or 500-600 ish? :rolleyes:

I am aiming for around 350hp to start with. I have a T16 gearbox remember, not an Mi16x4 one. If I avoid lots of standing start launches I hope it will last! I am going to put a temperature probe into the gearbox, tb and rear diff and if they look to be getting very hot I will get some active cooling for each of them.