• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16 Drift/track Car

AlexN
I have also decided that I am going to run some GM/Delco D585 truck coils, these have a built in igniter and they give a nice powerful spark, as opposed to going down the fully CDI route. I can get them from the US for $25 each, so at that price it is a no-brianer.

I bought a set of those too. Currently fitting to a 205 16V I'm building. Did you get the harness as well? Saves a lot of hassle.

If you are going for them then clearly I have made a decent choice! I was a little worried at first that at the price they are they might be some dodgy 3rd party copies, but apparently they really are the real thing! I am going to buy the harnesses as well, for the money it really isn't worth not getting them.

I need to really get a crack on with the project now to get it ready for the summer! I want to do my first track-day in June..... watch this space!

AlexN

Sorted a few more things out this weekend. I have finished chopping up the plenum chamber of my inlet manifold to remove the original pipe and prepare it to have the original flange from my throttle body welded on. Once this is done my inlet manifold will be finished! I finished off the fuel rail as well, bolting it all up properly.

I have also finished the design for the extender brackets for my callipers. I hope that I have got the dimensions right! It was fairly straight forward to do as there are only really two key dimensions. Once I have one made it can always be shimmed/skimmed slightly to fit if necessary.

5461178559_031bd5ce7b_b.jpg

Also I have started work on mounting my new alternator. I took the original cast iron mount (the one that held the PAS pump as well) as cut off the base part. I will bolt the lower alternator mount to this, shimming it as necessary to align it with the crank pulley. I am then going to use a slotted adjuster to allow tensioning of the belt. I will bolt this to a custom made plate that will bolt to the upper bolt hole of the original bracket. This has all turned out to be a lot easier than I at first anticipated!

5461751794_181b6c2f4f_b.jpg

5461751792_f60dccd97b_b.jpg

cammmy

Joisus those brakes look tremendous!

Also interested in truck coil conversion.

You are going to have a lot of how-to's to write when all this is finished :D

AlexN

Most of the time I don't know what I am doing, I just make it all up as I go along :P

The brackets should be finished this week, so my brake system will be complete - one less thing to sort out to hit my deadline!

AlexN

A few updates, I have had the brake bells anodised and the brackets are in the process of being made. I have bought a set of Peugeot Sport wheel studs, so once I have the brackets the whole lot is ready to bolt on!

5489310123_51b2cd1011_b.jpg

I have also got the inlet manifold back from the welders, the flange from my throttle body is now securely attached! I just need to decide what colour to paint it...

5489310099_3083d88b17_b.jpg

chris adams
I have also got the inlet manifold back from the welders, the flange from my throttle body is now securely attached! I just need to decide what colour to paint it...

have it matched to the cam cover the whole inlet setup :ph34r:

rodionski

Why do you quote the whole message including pictures?!

chris adams
Why do you quote the whole message including pictures?!

:P

chris adams

on a less sarcastic note i just thought it was the done thing to quote on posts, but i see thats not the case i will correct my habbits accordingly for future posts ;)

cammmy

Fixed that one for you :)

AlexN

Another little update. I got some more stuff through in the post, my GM D585 truck coils and connectors. I will have to get a bracket made up to mount these to the strut brace and minimise the lead length to the spark plugs.

5519088375_172cc51624_b.jpg

Also have the calliper brackets completed, they fit pretty much spot on, I just have to get some shorter M12 cap head bolts to use to bolt them to the hubs.

5519088379_d05e5d257b_b.jpg

5519088381_6e4bfe6259_b.jpg

chris adams

in accordance to the coils and ignighters are their other variations that still fit within the cylinderhead from another car as im sure ive seen on someone elses build ?

AlexN

Time for another update. Last week I managed to spend a day helping (or hindering!) Colin and we finished the rear suspension completely, realised that the exhaust manifold will fit and started work on the gear linkage. The front and rear brake discs went on with my new stud kit, the front brakes look awesome, can't wait to use them in anger! Also saw the work that had been done to fit the intercooler and radiator. The intercooler is massive, the routing of the pipe work could be interesting but it will be possible to do it with a bit of cutting.

5698657723_2b1787bed8_b.jpg

5698657731_1101e15565_b.jpg

5698657737_4ac1840076_b.jpg

5698657729_dc57a5b7d3_b.jpg

5698657747_e9f93c349f_b.jpg

Touring car brakes :)

5698657735_0074052874_b.jpg

I also got some EBC Yellow Stuff rear pads for my refurbished rear callipers. The rear discs are so much smaller than the front I will need some decent pads in them and then play with the bias to balance it out. If necessary in the future I could upgrade the rears to a large calliper and disc.

5698695087_b0cb3beeac_b.jpg

cammmy

Looking good mate. Is the evo box conversion all sussed?

AlexN

Yep pretty much. The only thing to sort out now is the clutch/flywheel position. Because of the adapter plate there may not be enough of the gearbox input shaft left to fully engage with both clutch plates with the flywheel in the standard position. We can't tell yet until Colin has finished the gear linkage and the driveshafts and we get the engine and gearbox out.

Mr Teflon

Hurry up - you've only got 6 weeks until my next track day!

AlexN
Hurry up - you've only got 6 weeks until my next track day!

I was going to message you about this! It is unfortunately looking extremely unlikely that I will get it done in time :( It's looking like I won't get the rolling shell back until the end of June at the earliest, that will leave me two weeks to finish it!!!

Any chance of getting place on the one after? ;)

chris adams

serious build this absolutly the doggs danglys B) love it! wouldnt mind one of those turret conversions.

danrogers

just looked through the thread again, it looks like i pop in about once a year lol. looking amazing though mate id chop of my arm to have the space / time / money & knowledge that you seem to have for a build like this!

chris adams

on the photo on page 12, the one of the rear suspension/turret conversion. now thats done is it not possible to do away with most of the scrap metal that made up the hydrophumatic ( dont know if this is the right spelling :unsure: ) suspension, is it able to be modified to be lighter ? have you thought about fixing the rear transfer box to the chassis solid mount. !

Edited by mi8 turbo

AlexN
on the photo on page 12, the one of the rear suspension/turret conversion. now thats done is it not possible to do away with most of the scrap metal that made up the hydrophumatic ( dont know if this is the right spelling :unsure: ) suspension, is it able to be modified to be lighter ? have you thought about fixing the rear transfer box to the chassis solid mount. !

The rear subframe is bare and none of the original suspension parts are used apart from the trailing arms. The sub-frame is attached to the car with solid mounts (replacing the square rubber bushes at the rear, and the round rubber bushes on the front mounts), and also the three diff mounts are solid. There are probably a few brackets etc that could be cut off to save more weight but I haven't bother at the moment.

chris adams

would collin be intrested in making those rear turrets as a sell on product ? i made some of those rear axle solid mounts myself but i cheated and burnt the rubber away in a fire then added a plate to the top. not exactly light but the work :D

Edited by mi8 turbo

cybernck

Any updates on this? :)

AlexN

Not a great deal, to update at the moment, money and time constraints mean it has had to be put on hold for the last 6 months. I will be getting back into the project very soon though with a view to finish it in the next 6 months!

I spoke to Colin a few weeks ago and he suggested the shell could be finished in about 6 weeks. I need to finish the engine off which I will be getting round to in the next week or so. I will start the updates again soon, but don't worry the project is far from dead!

AlexN

Time for a small but long overdue update!

Colin has pretty much finished the work on the car now, just a few more bits to sort out then it will be ready for me to start the next phase of the project!

Below are some pictures showing the finished engine bay with the Evo gearbox/transfer box with adapter plate and fully working gear linkage. The steering column has been adapted to fit the repositioned Xsara steering rack and the subframe modified to use Colin's wishbones. Also a pair of front Evo driveshafts have been adapted to fit the Peugeot hubs. All in all it is looking pretty tasty!

7035754567_86c296d89b_b.jpg

7035754561_7bdff4492a_b.jpg

A few more pics for you to digest :) The prop shaft is now complete with the front half of an Evo 6 prop mated to the rear half of the original Peugeot prop with a custom centre bearing and hanger.

6945439656_1441e9b981_b.jpg

6945439644_6146ac6de0_b.jpg

6945439590_7ff4b5f239_b.jpg

6945439578_1fd0e46dab_b.jpg

6945439526_b70722fc27_b.jpg

So there we have it, proof that an Evo drivetrain will fit into a 405! I have also decided that the engine will be dry sumped. I have got a pan, just need a pump and tank. This does mean stripping apart the engine that I have just rebuilt but I think it will be worth it. So if anyone is interested I will have a full wet sump kit for sale soon!