• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bigearmuffs

[Body_Work] 205 Wide Arch / T16 Project

allye

cheaper than drinking at night...

But no great night started with painting my car in the garage!! :lol:

Have you got a long term plan for the engine? You could stick in a GTI6 for little money these days? I've seen complete conversions go for £500ish.

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

The project is a little bit without plan, as it is a night / weekend something to do, I can only spend so long on xbox or watching tv before i get bored. The engine is 1.0 as the moment which is ideal for insurance, ignore the mods issue for now. However in the longer term this will have to change. I know £500 is not a lot of money but in the context of the car / budget it is, the body kit - front wings, skirts, rear arches & boot spoiler was just over £100 the fibre glass, filler, primer paint etc is also relatively low cost as it is more time and effort than anything else.

I will need to think of something soon though so appreciate thoughts, I have seen 1.6 engines cheap as clearly a lot are taken out to go for 1.9.

bigearmuffs

14d27x3.jpg

pugdamo

If your not to worried about performance and want to keep costs down you could find a saxo VTR engine,cheap to pick up and also very easy to fit and maintain also keeping with the whole TU engine it would be easier to fit than the xu engine.

Top work though,loving the thread

• Like 1

johniban

or the saxo vts engine would be better

johniban

i didnt think it was that hard to fit being a tu engine, i dont have any experience though so i cant say

allye

i didnt think it was that hard to fit being a tu engine, i dont have any experience though so i cant say

It is! GTI6 conversion is one of the most well documented engine conversions going. Everything you need is off the shelf, hence I could do it! The VTS engine job is few and far between.

bigearmuffs

Tailgate back on, took about 1hr to get the alignment and gaps right, masked out and given one blow over with primmer and had to leave it. Not sure if it's the weather being cold or the paint underneath but it's hard to get primer on as it's almost like it wants to slip off, just gone on light for now so I can let it dry and give it another go later. The glass is a pain to mask as well so I do not want to get stuck with messing around with it.

bigearmuffs

DSC_0145_zpsc8c840f0.jpg

DSC_0150_zps2bac7df9.jpg​

bigearmuffs

Not the best day in the world, the primer only wanted to run off and I chipped the paint on the roof getting the tail gate on, ended up spraying with a high pressure of air to make the paint really fine and dusty, it worked in so far as it stuck and I got traction & volume. Still needs work and the painting tactic meant I painted parts I didn't want as you can see the over spray on the qtr. Glad I have not done the final coat on the sides because of this, and I also think I should get the doors on before the final coat because of the above. Slight run in the middle but I will get this out with 1000's before colour.

Bummer and absorbing of enthusiasm, also have run out of primer, fine filler and low on colour.... :(

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

1000's on the boot and fine filled, mainly around the lock, 1000's again, ready for a quick blow over with primer when I get some -

DSC_0152_zps4d4db4ef.jpg

Everybody's favorite after market modification makes a return, two coats of etch primer, loads of fine filling and 500's

DSC_0154_zps6f1009f6.jpg

Having got the spoiler as close to shape as possible at the contact point I put masking tape all over the contact point, bolted the spoiler on then had to push filler in the gap left. Hopefully when this drys I can take it off and tidy it up. I want it joined with the double sided body tape.

DSC_0153_zps5bb1de0e.jpg​

bigearmuffs

Once the filler was dry grappled the spoiler off (it turns out making tape is not filler proof), filled around the template made by the tail gate roughly -

DSC_0155_zps4921a07c.jpg

Rubbed this down to get a shape back, also had to rub down around the area on the car were the filler had been, it had melted or reacted with the glue on the making tape to bond to the primer, great....

DSC_0157_zps0a701b08.jpg

Fine filled this all over as it was pitted even before i began, had to leave a couple of days to dry -

DSC_0158_zpsdbadc722.jpg

Better fit, no primer on the tail gate there though (and still covered in fine filler) -

DSC_0159_zps49de8eab.jpg

Fine filler fine sanded, still needs a bit more fine filling but 95% right, also need to get some etch primer for the first coat -

DSC_0162_zps794cb0e5.jpg

Had a tiny bit of primer left which was enough to get a coat over the bare bits and the fine filling bits -

DSC_0161_zps2e805dfd.jpg

Slow progress, but saving up for more bits at the moment, still have some colour so I can hopefully get the sides finished, or at least one.

bigearmuffs

Test fit, better now, with double sided tape should be okay.

DSC_0163_zps7c7c095e.jpg

DSC_0164_zpsf3e04473.jpg

bigearmuffs

From looking at the primer on the tail gate I have an issue with not being able to remove the glass, no matter how good the masking I am either not getting enough masked (& over spray on the rubber) or it falls short of the target. Also if it is right now if the rubber shrinks in summer I do not have any paint under it.

So after much head scratching (maybe to much), I came up with the idea of raising the rubber slightly for paint, my rubber will lift up so I do not know if it should be stuck to the body and I will have a problem with water ingress later. My solution was to cm by cm lift the rubber and push a speaker wire underneath which raises if enough to get paint under and provide the over lap when masked out -

DSC_0166_zps94b7c0bf.jpg

DSC_0167_zps3cf31fd6.jpg

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Good to go in the morning in colour -

DSC_0169_zps0675c1c4.jpg

Due to being short of primer for the spoiler called off at Halfords and bought a can, it had a clear lid and no reference to colour, low and behold it's yellow, not grey, white or black but yellow, also major paint reaction in loads of places as you can see on the side (not blaming the primer for this).

DSC_0170_zps38fcd0e2.jpg

jackherer

The rubber around the tailgate glass is just a cosmetic trim, it's not a seal, the glass is bonded in under it. You can remove the trim without removing the glass and if you are careful it will come out undamaged and go back in too but if not they are still available from dealers.

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Couple of coats, I will leave it a good few days to dry before giving it a light flat back with 1000's (to get any bits off), and then a final coat for shine.

DSC_0171_zpse582d345.jpg

Should have more primer, thinners, masking tape and paper by weekend.

DSC_0173_zpsdf1c98f7.jpg

The spoiler is a complete pain in the backside, it has areas where paint will just not stick to even after flatting back as far as I can go. So I waited for the primer to dry and put fine filler on the areas, hopefully when flatted back they will be paint able. It's the little things that take time and energy.

DSC_0174_zpsdacc0cd7.jpg

Edited by bigearmuffs

NFS

looking good pal, as said above the boot weather strip is removeable and doesnt stop water getting in, as the screen is bonded in anyway, i removed the screen completey on mine but i should have just removed the strip and left the screen in place.

aslo with that spoiler you get isolator from any good paint shop, it will cover anything and because its alcohol based it will not react with anything!

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

looking good pal, as said above the boot weather strip is removeable and doesnt stop water getting in, as the screen is bonded in anyway, i removed the screen completey on mine but i should have just removed the strip and left the screen in place.

aslo with that spoiler you get isolator from any good paint shop, it will cover anything and because its alcohol based it will not react with anything!

Cheers for that, I will look into the isolator stuff that would definitely help as the reaction thing is slowing the job down, thanks.

bigearmuffs

Got slightly distracted over the last few weekends due to looking round car show rooms for a car to replace my main vehicle (Saab 9-5 SE Vector 2011), anyway got stuck back in today. I have removed the rubber from the back screen due to not being happy with my lifting and spraying attempt, this is now masked and ready for primer, also prepared both doors ready for primer tomorrow. Will get some pics up later.

bigearmuffs

Tailgate masked again and prepped after removing rubber -

DSC_0175_zps2a71b48c.jpg

Doors prepped and hung from the roof with dust sheets behind -

DSC_0176_zps9892ea8c.jpg

Quick blow in of the primmer to the gap -

DSC_0178_zps93615211.jpg

Inside -

DSC_0177_zpsb19f9327.jpg

Outside -

DSC_0179_zpscf766efa.jpg

Fine filled a few chips that I'd missed, not much so I will leave to dry flat and hopefully prime again tomorrow night -

DSC_0180_zps6fb502ac.jpg

johnnyboy666

Thoroughly enjoying this thread, keep the updates coming, you're giving me inspiration to finish painting mine!

• Like 1

Daviewonder

As above. Enjoying reading the updates and watching it progress.

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Thanks for the comments, it's good to know it's being looked at as sometimes it feels hard work to find the motivation. Due to being later in today I couldn't get any more paint on but I will tomorrow.