• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bigearmuffs

[Body_Work] 205 Wide Arch / T16 Project

Pugleyrich

Any progress on this? I'm interested to see how it has been coming along

bigearmuffs

I am back, in short the finish I got from cans (once fully dry and polished up) was not good enough. I am not sure if this is because I could not get enough on to get depth or just because I am not particularly good with them. Anyway I have basically started again by saving up and buying a gun, air line, (borrowed the compressor of my dad), primer, thinners, paper, etc. As well as additional lights in the garage to see what I am doing, I have pictures to upload as I thought I'd better get some progress done to show. Will try and get them up tomorrow.

NFS

Thats a shame you put alot of hardwork into it, i know exactly what you mean, no one in the world will get the same or better finish from 1k cans compared to the 2k lacquar. get the pics up :)

bigearmuffs

Started again, firstly sanded the side (front wing, skirt, rear quarter) ready for primer. Apologies for the forthcoming pics, the camera was on the wrong setting.

20hvsl3.jpg

jfyxig.jpg

mhu0i0.jpg

8ziico.jpg

Also flatted back (the previously painted) roof and bonnet.

2hhipoo.jpg

2r6jkg1.jpg

r0zg28.jpg

Spent £5 in B&Q for some plastic sheeting to cut the garage in half.

15k8qp.jpg

Borrowed compressor with new gun.

atov47.jpg

New thinners, paper, primer and in the background the finished headlining in black.

352kt49.jpg

bigearmuffs

After a quick blow over with primer started on the fine filling (hence all the grey bits).

2nhqdqr.jpg

mio1o4.jpg

334i0qh.jpg

Fine sanded and blew over again in primer and fine filled again (much less this time).

dfkqi1.jpg

16hrqqp.jpg

k9829x.jpg

2mq0qah.jpg

xbxo3m.jpg

Final coat of primer after fine sanding all.

5y5nm.jpg

24ec8w7.jpg

bex05y.jpg

250p6bt.jpg

2cenbk8.jpg

bigearmuffs

Quick coat with the new paint, only one coat just to get traction, still need to give it a quick flat with 1500 before going on with a wet coat.

9tk6t3.jpg

2r2fk.jpg

4v1ml2.jpg

r86xhc.jpg

2czpr3l.jpg

barry d

Looking good mate.love the colour!

• Like 1

mechanicalrepairs

Hats off to you, would love to have a bash at painting but I think I would fail as I don't understand it and wouldn't have a clue with mixing it all up etc.

Carl

• Like 1

Jolly Green Monster

What the actual f***?

• Like 1

allye

At first I thought this was going to be a bit dodgy. But fair play to you! You've done a amazing job and it's going to look good.

• Like 1

Jolly Green Monster

Appologies for my reply above I was reading first page and hadnt seen others (I shouldnt look on here after a few drinks) that is actually starting to look really good. I also approve of the colour :)

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

What the actual f***?

Ha, ha, brilliant, I might have that as a slogan across the back of the tail gate when done. Cheers for follow up comment.

Jolly Green Monster

Ha, ha, brilliant, I might have that as a slogan across the back of the tail gate when done. Cheers for follow up comment.

Hahah my concern was related to the original arches being left.

Looks v good in paint

bigearmuffs

Primed the roof, bonnet, back panel and top of rear quarter.

jadifd.jpg

mmzl35.jpg

hwbxog.jpg

29atdvn.jpg

chipstick

One of my favourite threads at the moment. Really do admire you for giving it all a go and learning along the way :)

• Like 1

gretsch-drummer

You using 2k base or base and clear? If you're clearing it try a dust/grip coat, let it flash off (till it's just gone tacky) then give it 2 wet coats also allowing flash time in between. Then spend HOOOOOURS flatting and polishing it. Will look the dogs then.

(Also, if you are using 2k paint you really should be using an air fed mask. Ask the guy I know who doesn't have a sense or smell or taste anymore.)

bigearmuffs

You using 2k base or base and clear? If you're clearing it try a dust/grip coat, let it flash off (till it's just gone tacky) then give it 2 wet coats also allowing flash time in between. Then spend HOOOOOURS flatting and polishing it. Will look the dogs then.

(Also, if you are using 2k paint you really should be using an air fed mask. Ask the guy I know who doesn't have a sense or smell or taste anymore.)

Hi, I am using cellulose, simply because I feel that it is as far as my ability's will stretch and once it's on (park paint reaction for now) I can get a good finish. I do not have a big enough budget to stretch to 2K and air mask etc. I know this is old fashioned and not going to be a show room finish but at the end of the day I have to work within my parameters. I basically use a 40/60 primer/thinners mix, then a 50/50 cellulose/anti bloom thinners mix for the first two colour coats, then probably a 30/70 mix to finish, then 2000's & cut up then polish. I have not got past coat one on the colour yet. Thanks for the interest appreciate any comments.

Edited by bigearmuffs

chipstick

Apologies for the off topic question - but is your garage door a standard 7 foot width?

My garage has always had cabinets down both sides so I've not had a car in it before but intend to get my 205 in and dressed underneath in the new year. My garage looks very similar in width to yours with around 10" to either side of the door. If your door is 7 foot like mine and I get that much space either side of the car I will be very pleased. I was impressed with the space down the pass side thinking you'd moved it right against the opposite wall not realising until seeing further pics that you had ample space down the drivers side also :)

bigearmuffs

Apologies for the off topic question - but is your garage door a standard 7 foot width?

My garage has always had cabinets down both sides so I've not had a car in it before but intend to get my 205 in and dressed underneath in the new year. My garage looks very similar in width to yours with around 10" to either side of the door. If your door is 7 foot like mine and I get that much space either side of the car I will be very pleased. I was impressed with the space down the pass side thinking you'd moved it right against the opposite wall not realising until seeing further pics that you had ample space down the drivers side also :)

The garage is 9 foot by 32 foot, it narrows at the door but those are the widest points, I have moved the car a number of times in the pictures so I am not sure that it gives an accurate reflection, cheers David.

gretsch-drummer

Hi, I am using cellulose, simply because I feel that it is as far as my ability's will stretch and once it's on (park paint reaction for now) I can get a good finish. I do not have a big enough budget to stretch to 2K and air mask etc. I know this is old fashioned and not going to be a show room finish but at the end of the day I have to work within my parameters. I basically use a 40/60 primer/thinners mix, then a 50/50 cellulose/anti bloom thinners mix for the first two colour coats, then probably a 30/70 mix to finish, then 2000's & cut up then polish. I have not got past coat one on the colour yet. Thanks for the interest appreciate any comments.

Ahhh good man. Didn't want to read about you killing yourself with 2k. Wish I had a garage to be able to spray stuff.....I hate wind.

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Spent all night fine sanding the primer to find a number of bits that need fine filling. I will do these and prime again, slow progress but need to get the roof and bonnet in colour soon to get some progress. Thanks for all the interest. :)

Edited by bigearmuffs
  • Like 1

Maso

. I love 205 DIMMA's. Great progress.

bigearmuffs

Repaired dent in bonnet

29x7t4o.jpg

Sanded out paint reaction on front corner

2mg5yiq.jpg

Fine filled and sanded rear quarter

2ijonsg.jpg

Primed

2pspu7t.jpg

Primed so I can better see what requires work (never use black primer you cannot see anything)

2607gr8.jpg

Edited by bigearmuffs

bigearmuffs

Fine sanded 1500 all primer to blend the A pillars in (that will be blown over in colour)

11ik2s5.jpg

More work required, filled for sanding, the shape wasn't right

2l9jcps.jpg

2zokb3b.jpg

Ready for colour

2nc1ngy.jpg

bigearmuffs

Colour

1zcah0.jpg

2e51ag4.jpg

2qalhya.jpg

23roodc.jpg