• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bigearmuffs

[Body_Work] 205 Wide Arch / T16 Project

bigearmuffs

Dip in top of arch (marked for filling)

x3zk45.jpg

Top of arch low instead of being rounded (in comparison to finished side)

b6yo8i.jpg

Bottom of arch also low in the middle (marked for filling)

2edxgsj.jpg

Roughly sands front arch back to shape

2mcyfk6.jpg

Roughly filled low parts

148purl.jpg

4ihetw.jpg

Seam Sealer turned up in post

4jtkoz.jpg

bigearmuffs

Good news first, finished sanding the low bits both top of qtr & bottom, aside of fine filling and sanding they are done, only remembered to take a pic of the top part

jpit7m.jpg

Then major bummer, on test fitting the rear bumper (which needs loads of work) I noticed after much measuring the arch on the finished side falls half an inch short of the other one.... A didn't fancy cutting the unfinished one back so had to fill the finished one, fortunately with using cellulose it should blow in when finished

Usual filling problem of to damn much, another two hours sanding tomorrow

2hewuvo.jpg

Side skirt fine filling and fine sanded, all good and finished

2hdms0z.jpg

Stephen W

Looks like your doing a really good job on this and it's showing your enjoying it. Although the colours not my choice but I look forward to reading your updates.

Keep up the good work

bigearmuffs

Spent forever cleaning the garage out, it had got to a point were I could not find anything until I nearly broke my neck by falling over it. The dry sanding hadn't helped matters, once tidy and washed out carried on -

Back qtr now done as far as I can see, although once I prime it I'll soon know otherwise (due to all the different levels it does not look good in the picture at the moment, feels smooth though)

2mpc4u0.jpg

Done the other Qtr in fine filler and fine sanded, hopefully good for a coat of primer then back on with colour (now identical to the other side)

33d9wrq.jpg

Front bottom of wing now meets the skirt better and ready for primer

2l8akg9.jpg

All masked our ready to go

2ykgzkm.jpg

Will try and get some primmer on tomorrow, then might leave it for a week or so as I need a break from it

Edited by bigearmuffs

bigearmuffs

All blown over in primmer, still bits to do, can see them clear as day now, but mainly fine filling

20s7s3t.jpg

Worth doing though so I can look at the profile down the side, I think it looks great looking down it, should look even more so with the doors on

rwtdma.jpg

29ckodd.jpg

bigearmuffs

After losing the will with filling and sanding every night I looked for a pick up with the bonnet, decided to go for the finish so on with 1500 wet and dry then down to 2000, after that t-cut and then polish, all of which took 2.5hrs..............

The result -

2i6nxuw.jpg

Compared to when I had finished painting and it was unprepared -

34e2kvt.jpg

It's given me the lift to get the roof done, the side will have to wait.

jonXS

Looking good mate, keep up the good work i like how this is going.

bonnet looks better in the pics than it did, fair play to you

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Roof finished same way as bonnet, sun roof fitted back in. Quite pleased with it on the whole.

esw8d4.jpg

2dlrdi8.jpg

Seeing as I am waiting for more paint supply's I am on with the crap jobs, need to scrape all this sticky stuff off so that I can reapply some double sided tape to refit. They are the strips that go at the top of the door frames.

2im7y9t.jpg

Joy!

Juttie205

10/10 for effort mate still not sure of the colour may look better once car all back together.

• Like 1

BusEngineer

Great progress, hat off to you for doing your own paint and you certainly have more patience than I do with filler and sanding!

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Have basically not stopped on the car since starting the holidays ,

Cleaned all the old stuff off and applied new double sided tape -

10sfybo.jpg

All bits of trim, etc are firstly stopping off for a quick scrub in the bath, then on to rest in the man cave, new bulbs fitted in the lights -

14e01vr.jpg

Had to clear the garage to get the work horse in to leave the path clear for Christmas day visitors, so hear is the car as it stands, all has a couple of coats on but need to get more on -

2vkdgep.jpg

Ignore the overspray I will be painting under the arches black

r1myyt.jpg

4qmsfa.jpg

Will get set back up for spraying and back on the job Boxing Day, I want to get all the paint done (including doors) before I go back to work in Jan.

lewis205cti

Impressive work mate. Some serious dedication and it's going to look awesome when finished. So jealous of your garage too.

• Like 1

allye

Looking forward to seeing this unfold, have you got a wheel choice?

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Looking forward to seeing this unfold, have you got a wheel choice?

Not decided yet, need to start saving some penny's cause everything next will be more money than effort - unlike the body. Need buckets, a cage of some sort, harnesses, wheels, suspension, etc. With it being a bit of a small budget hobby I will have to keep an eye on the usual places and hope for a bargain

bigearmuffs

Impressive work mate. Some serious dedication and it's going to look awesome when finished. So jealous of your garage too.

Thanks for the comment, there was loads of fine filling, primer and repeat but it's getting there now. The garage is good I have to admit, I have done bits before in a small single or path at previous houses and although it can be done it does take more patience and organisation.

johniban

im very impressed with the amount of work you have done in that little garage!

i cant help but think all that work has gone into it and that silly exhaust is hangging off the back end?!

Personally i think something a little diffrent maybe cut the tips off and make one tip? or a slight angled 2.5 inch tip out the fog light hole or a centre exit maybe

bigearmuffs

Front panel masked and primed

2mdm3yb.jpg

Inside tail gate same -

2130oat.jpg

Need to get colour on both to move on

welshpug

please not black arches, always looks like someone is trying to hind shoddy work when they do that, which from the rest of the work it certainly isn't !

• Like 2

Juttie205

I can not see the logic in doing wheel arches black as you took the time to do all the rest of the car would be just as easy to do arches in green are you removing engine and doing engine bay that green?

welshpug

I would hope he is removing the engine at some point, seeing as its a small TU :P

bigearmuffs

Cheers all, what you'd do under the arches green ?, I was just thinking of the black chip paint stuff. The engine bay will be green at some point in the future but I am getting the car back together first as I am running out of space. Got to remember this is a low cost sort of hobby past time, cheaper than drinking at night... Appreciate comments though as if you think it's worth the extra effort I may give it ago. Just put a couple of coats of green on the front panel and inside tail gate (will do the exterior when it's back on the car).

johniban

id personally do under the arches green, you can still spray stonechip first so the paint is slightly flexible to stonechips. wish my project was cheaper than drink haha

• Like 1

Juttie205

Under arches i would use a white or grey stonechip then cover with a base colour thats what im planning with my dimma so arches match rest of car.

pugfrank

What a great project, cant wait to see the finished item.

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

two coats of green -

2nuoaqf.jpg