• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
layton1985

Who Has Converted Their 205 To 2.0 8V Turbo?

Slo

Which fly wheel would i need from which engine please?

welshpug

any 16v XU9 or any XU10 that used a BE box :)

that'd be 306 xsi's, s16's and gti6's, 405 mi16's, 406's citroen xantia's

most common clutch used would be a BX 16v one.

Slo

ahh i see thanks henry and welshpug

Miles

The box fit's fine, just need to make up some shafts and clutch linkage

Slo

The shafts was the part of the conversion thats put me off as i wouldnt know how or where to get any made up are the original 205 shafts no good at all? I know they are like pencil lead compared to the original lamposts that are attached to the lump now but surely same box same shafts no?

Daviewonder

205 shafts are fine but need to be used with a Be gearbox.

Basically the easiest way to the conversion is with a Be Gearbox, 205 gti shafts, 1.9 Mi16 clutch, and a flywheel from a Peugeot with a Be gearbox and later management (GTI6, Mi16 etc).

Slo

Right thank you too, somewhere to start now, i bought one of those turbo conversion cd off ebay a long time ago but its about as clear as mandarin chinese how to go about it regarding exact parts needed and theres no mention of what shafts are needed at all, on the subject of shafts do they have to be the 1.9s or can 1.6s works as well?

Daviewonder

1.6 shaft will fit but as far as I know you need to use 1.6 hubs. Don't know if they're as tough as 1.9 ones though?

Anthony

1.6 shafts need either 1.6 or base model hubs (same fitment, different offsets).

Slo

I have a mark1 E reg 1.6 cti and its completely bog standard at the minute (slight porky) and ive just discovered M@tt's thread on the conversion so ive gained a little confidence there.

Slo

Had to add a post cos i cant seem to edit. My 605 turbo lump had a brand new clutch kit about 10 months before i took it off the road and scrapped it (according to how many left there is 1 left on the road now and 2 sorn so gutted finding out after) so i would like to use this if possible mainly cos it cost me £170, its 230mm would this be usable for the mi16 flywheel and 205 box that ive got? i can see the 205 clutch is 200mm how big is the mi16 clutch plate?

Daviewonder

215mm

Slo

Has anyone got a pic of the vss signal amplifier and a picture of the vss plug please as I have figured the wiring out now I think? but never seen these two parts

a wire from signal amplifier to switch live

a wire from signal amplifier to my tachometer

a wire from signal amplifier to pin 9 ecu

and two wires to the vss plug

Thanks Lee

Dont know if you stil want these but ive just been to take some pictures of my turbo gearbox and my 205 be1 box to check compatibility and have always remembered you asking for pictures of the vss and plug well heres mine on my turbo engine's original ME5T gearbox from my 605 svti. Not too sure what the vss amplifier is, I didnt even know it had one. I always assumed the vss went straight to the ecu.

IMG_20121231_194806_zpsf7ccf121.jpg

ME5T vss (605 manual gearbox) on the left, BE1 on the right

IMG_20121231_195542_zps0dea2226.jpg

Edited by Slo

dcc

Are you sure? Looks like left is a be1?

• Like 1

Slo

I owned the 605 for 8 years im sure but a couple of points on the speed sensor

1. It made bugger all difference to the engine performance regardless of it being plugged in or not

2. The variable power steering and cruise control only worked when it was plugged in

Bonus 3. Ive never seen a 205 be1 box with a speed sensor in the speedo drive

pugdamo

I have to agree with dcc,be1 on the left.

On the 605 the vss sends its signal to a module inside the car,i guess the module must convert the signal to a digital signal then sends it back to the ecu,i am fitting this module on my conversion but as mentioned on the forum a few times you can get a 3 pin sensor as fittied on some 306's and probably a lot of others and fit this.

I agree that with it unplugged you may not notice a difference but it is fitted for a reason,if the ecu gets a signal from it imo its important.

Slo

wtf the picture has turned upside down bloody photobucket lol ok now yes be1 on the left and speed sensor from my 605 on the right

Slo

Damian have you got a picture of the module. I will have the same or similar but the 605 had electric everything and the amount of modules under the dash was unbelievable so ive no idea which one it is

welshpug

We didn't use the module in the 306 when fitting the 406 v6 engine, just use a 3 pin VSS and add a switched live, send the signal direct to the ecu, also in the 306's case the speedometer.

pugdamo

I will go out and get a picture of that module in a bit.

When i did my engine loom i thought it was just as easy to use the 605 module as i had all the bits,was just a case of connecting it up and mounting the module somewhere.

A lot of people on here do use the 3 pin set up as wp said,that is just a live earth and signal wire

Will get pics up when i get back from the garage

Slo

Ahh thanks damian i have one that looks just like that now i know what it does

Slo

So far so good, the CAS came out easy peasy as it was greased and thinking back I must have removed it when i did the clutch, and the rear mount has swapped over nicely. Now i've hit a snag, it's the top engine mount. Which type do i need? The 205 one is a totally different fit to the 605 one and the 605 mount is insanely massive that wont fit unless i cut out the existing mount and fabricate a new one.

welshpug

405 1.9 MI16 top arm.

Slo

Thanks Mei this is the first time i've ever come across this after all the reading ive done on the conversion too, I even bought one of those cheesy cd's off ebay about the conversion and even that doesn't say the top mount is different. Is there anything else im going to hit regarding getting the engine physically in? apart from...custom exhaust and i've read about having to extend the gear linkage L bracket. I'd rather get everything i need at once than discover a problem and have to wait 2-3 days for ebay deliveries. :)